Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 10:38   #1

Cruising the San Juan’s in winter

Found a neat article about sailing the PNW and BC in the winter. I am trying to make the most of my time in Washington and am considering making the trip to Vancouver or Sidney (for a couple reasons).

So who sails up here this time of year? I’d love to hear about it and am always up for any advice. Last time I sailed the area was in the early 90’s.

The Wonder of Winter Cruising
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:14   #2

Re: Cruising the San Juan’s in winter

Pretty good article. Heat, heat, heat, clothes, clothes, clothes. I sailed from Maple Bay to Roche Harbor last year on March 1, 2018. On Feb 28th there was a huge storm, much like this time today. Glass calm on March 1. I sailed our boat up from SF in 2016 - no heating system (we'd moved here on short notice). First time I ever wore my ski gear on the boat! Plugged in at Roche with two 1500 watt elec heaters. Get heat or you and anyone with you will NOT be happy. Otherwise, just watch the weather. Waggoners has good harbor info for what's open and with power during the winter, plus remember the Canadian Customs at Bedwell is closed after September, so Sidney or Van Isle in Tsehum Harbour.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 06:48   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

The thread about going from Seattle to Portland http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-211388.html

has good discussions on the weather you'd be likely to encounter. Does not sound like fun unless you have plenty of time (and heat) to wait out wind and wet. And lots of warm, dry clothes.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:07   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Boat is a B393 and has webasto forced air diesel heat and almost fully enclosed dodger. We’ll bring our thermals and sleeping bags we’d use for our winter/snow camping.

Not too worried about the cold. Mostly just the weather and wind conditions we may encounter crossing over to Victoria. I’ve been watching wind predict closely for the last few weeks and even with the series of storms we’ve had there’s been what looks like some very doable weather windows. I’m hoping we can find a few marina guest docks that will allow us to plug in to power over the 10 day trip.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:45   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I grew up here and love cruising the SJI in winter. Lots of nice weather (surprising). Stay away from November & December. Experienced 80 MPH winds off of Victoria one year. Blew 104 in Friday Harbor that weekend. Lots of places to tuck in.
Not a lot of crowds. Half the rainfall in the rain shadow around San Juan Island. Can be great. Best crabbing is in the winter.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:47   #6

BTW blew 60 in Bellingham Bay here yesterday. Usually one week of beautiful weather in late January.
Old 21-12-2018, 09:45   #7

Boat: Rawson 30PH

The park mooring bouys are great in San Juan’s in winter and very secure for blustery nights. Lots of good day hikes and you often have the place to yourself- beautiful, but dripy. The Gulf Islands are similar, but dont expect mooring balls.... and stern tying may be better in some coves. Many docks have the water turned off, so plan accordingly.

You will be fine with your diesel heater - it’s the wet, not the cold 😉, and the heater will keep the condensation down. Also, cracking a port for ventilation is important.

If you need a place to stop with laundry and shower facilities, my marina seems to have some empty, short terms slips available from people that have pulled out for winter projects. Skyline / Anacortes.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:06   #8

Boat: 34 American Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
The park mooring bouys are great in San Juan’s in winter and very secure for blustery nights. Lots of good day hikes and you often have the place to yourself- beautiful, but dripy. The Gulf Islands are similar, but dont expect mooring balls.... and stern tying may be better in some coves. Many docks have the water turned off, so plan accordingly.

You will be fine with your diesel heater - it’s the wet, not the cold 😉, and the heater will keep the condensation down. Also, cracking a port for ventilation is important.

If you need a place to stop with laundry and shower facilities, my marina seems to have some empty, short terms slips available from people that have pulled out for winter projects. Skyline / Anacortes.
Are you in division 18?
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:26   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Yes, div18 / E39

There now, checking on everything after the wind storm
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:40   #10

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

I think it might be ok for locals who grew up in those waters and know the best places to duck for cover. But, even those are few and far between. On a late October, heading back north from Port Townsend, crossing the Georgia Straight off of the Gulf Islands, we got hit big time with roller coaster standing waves plus a few 80' diameter whirlpools (Waggoner piloting manual refers to "keeping an eye out for some eddies off of Waldron when the tide is running" - Ha!! With, that kind of wave activity you won't see one until you're nearly inside it! My advice is to stick to the shore and just wait until May to go sailing!
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:48   #11

Grew up in Cornet Bay inside of Deception Pass. Used to waterski through Deception Pass at rip tide every JAN 1.
Very warm waters here. LOL.
Old 21-12-2018, 10:56   #12

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Lots of people sail Puget Sound, the San Juans, and BC up to Desolation Sound in winter. Very pleasant and far fewer boats than in the summer.

It can be sunny (and cold at this time of year), sheeting rain (but warmer) or seriously stormy. Snow is rare but possible.

However runs are short and there are lots and lots of beautiful hidey holes. Just watch the forecasts. You may have to hole up for a couple of days to let some misery pass but there'll be enough calm after to make your next passage.

MUCH different than outside past Cape Flattery which I would NEVER do in winter.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 11:14   #13

Stay on San Juan Island side rather than Sucia. Rosario not good since venturi effect creates strong winds. Stuart Island (Reid Harbor) is good hole with lots of crab. Spot prawns outside of entrance. Every late January you get weather for a week that can reach the 70's. Old Norwegian XCountry ski local knowledge. Have only seen one year in the last 50 when that didn't happen. Sometimes early FEB. Jump in water to wake up.
Old 21-12-2018, 11:57   #14

Boat: Coast 30

Now I do wonder why no body has mentioned the power of sailing the winds of winter??

The air being cold and dense provides the most exhilarating drive to the sails!
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 13:43   #15

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I remember one year on Jan 1st sailing from Ruxton Island where we lived to Gabriola Is with a pair of jeans and a t shirt and a pod of orcas swimming alongside us. Maybe a once in a lifetime event but helped me understand why people live there. Winters on Ruxton were very long, like summers here !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, san juan