Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 04:56   #1

Boat: Valiant 42
Whale watching boat sinks off Vacouver island with fatalities

I heard on radio there was a tragedy off Vancouver island when a whale watching boat sank. Multiple fatalities were reported. Does anyone have local knowledge if this story is accurate or any additional detail?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 05:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Whale watching boat sinks off Vacouver island with fatalities

Yikes....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 05:10   #3
QBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I heard on radio there was a tragedy off Vancouver island when a whale watching boat sank. Multiple fatalities were reported. Does anyone have local knowledge if this story is accurate or any additional detail?
Five dead as whale watching boat with 27 on board sinks off Vancouver Island

Rescue helicopters, planes and coast guard vessels scrambled to search the seas after the 65ft Leviathan II tourist boat sank eight miles from shore

Five dead as whale watching boat with 27 on board sinks off Vancouver Island | World news | The Guardian
QBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 05:28   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

All I've found so far is 21 rescued, 5 dead, and 1 missing. Didn't give reports as to what happened.
Old 26-10-2015, 05:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
All I've found so far is 21 rescued, 5 dead, and 1 missing. Didn't give reports as to what happened.
Right ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-155187.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 14:16   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

Details still sparse, but apparently the company had a previous incident with fatalities:

Jamie's Whaling Station involved in 1998 fatal whale-watching excursion - British Columbia - CBC News
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 20:10   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

The boat hit a wave....

Survivor of B.C. tragedy says wave capsized ship | Toronto Star
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 20:44   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having fished commercially in that area years ago, the Plover Reef northwest of Tofino is known by the locals to break in even moderate seas. A sneaker could have easily come in with the regular sets. Fishing used to be really good just west of the reef and the whale runs to north and south are well known. The reef shelves out quite a way as I recall and rises almost vertically from very deep which drives the sea into almost vertical waves as they come ashore from Japan, a long fetch!
I'm sure that the whale watcher skippers are aware of this and one just got caught a little too close. From there on up north to the top of the Island to Brooks Peninsula there are a few rocks but not too much to worry about.
It is a tragedy that so many lives were lost but this the northwest Pacific which is dangerous for even the most experienced skipper.
When I was fishing that area on a troller out of Port Alberni years ago there were many who would not even put in a season before heading inside for calmer waters.
It is a dangerous and unforgiving area and does not suffer lack of attention or a lazy attitude by those who go to sea there. I can recall many days and nights when I would have bet We wouldn't come home! Great learning ground if you had a good teacher! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 03:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tofino whale-watching boat capsized after wave struck, says TSB.
Transportation Safety Board says most passengers were standing on one side of top deck.
Tofino whale-watching boat capsized after wave struck, says TSB - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 29-10-2015, 18:25   #10

In the reports I have read it said the boat went beam-to the waves so they could have a look at some seals and got caught offguard by the "rogue wave".
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 18:51   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Lots of weight (people) on the top deck on one side and a wave hits beam on the opposite side.
Pretty obvious what happens next.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 03:50   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Lots of weight (people) on the top deck on one side and a wave hits beam on the opposite side.
Especially, when that upper deck was an untested aftermarket modification.

Records show the MV Leviathan II was originally built in 1981 as a tug boat. It was modified in 1996 — lengthened and refitted with an upper passenger deck — when it was sold to Jamie's Whaling Station, the company operating it when it crashed last Sunday.

Tofino whale-watching boat modifications raise concerns - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 30-10-2015, 20:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What nobody is saying, but I think a number of people are wondering, is the nature of the "rogue wave" We were watching boats like this in the Strait of Georgia last August. They would be right on top of the whales, sometimes only a few feet from where they surfaced, and then they would follow them around in direct violation of the rules they have here for whale watching. Those whales could usually outmaneuver them, but I kept wondering what would happen if they got between a mom and her calf.
I bet it is more likely they were nudged by a whale or wave of a whale than a rogue wave coming from nowhere on a calm day.
And yes, the whale watchers all get on the same side of the boat, press against the rail and point. It drives me crazy just to watch it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:56   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What nobody is saying, but I think a number of people are wondering, is the nature of the "rogue wave" We were watching boats like this in the Strait of Georgia last August. They would be right on top of the whales, sometimes only a few feet from where they surfaced, and then they would follow them around in direct violation of the rules they have here for whale watching. Those whales could usually outmaneuver them, but I kept wondering what would happen if they got between a mom and her calf.
I bet it is more likely they were nudged by a whale or wave of a whale than a rogue wave coming from nowhere on a calm day.
And yes, the whale watchers all get on the same side of the boat, press against the rail and point. It drives me crazy just to watch it.
At he risk of offending this poster, if you haven't been out there and to discount the potential of rogue waves in this area is evidence of a lack of knowledge of the undersea terrain and the length of fetch from the western Pacific to our part of the world. I lived and fished off the west coast for several years and can assure you that rogue or sneaker waves happen on the calmest of days and without warning.
The only way to avoid them is to move to Nebraska or Manitoba. They are a fact of life out there on the BC coast and great care must be taken to avoid being caught by one. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:13   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Especially, when that upper deck was an untested aftermarket modification.

Records show the MV Leviathan II was originally built in 1981 as a tug boat. It was modified in 1996 — lengthened and refitted with an upper passenger deck — when it was sold to Jamie's Whaling Station, the company operating it when it crashed last Sunday.

Tofino whale-watching boat modifications raise concerns - British Columbia - CBC News
Anybody that's stepped into, sailed, rowed, paddled, or even had the slightest experience with vessels knows what happened...

Phil is just adding his expertise of the area saying the "extra shove" is quite a bit more likely than.... Plausible!

I would absolutely LOVE to see the stability data for the boat after the mods... I think it would be just a tad bit more than eye opening...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote