Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 15:48   #1

Medications... If on sea longer that Fill Amount

Have a question pertaining to required medication(s) and being onboard / at sea longer than the Fill Amount timeframe.

Has anyone had to deal with a required medication for a condition that can only be filled for 30 days? And if so, How do you obtain (more like where?)

Sounds difficult, if not impossible.... Especially, If you want to get away from the cold New England weather.

Any thoughts or solutions to this dilemma?

Thank You

Alan
Alan K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:08   #2

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Re: Medications... If on sea longer that Fill Amount

Not sure if helpful but my mother-in law travels overseas often for extended periods.....she has called the insurance company and they just authorize a 90 day refill once she explains the situation.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan K. View Post
Have a question pertaining to required medication(s) and being onboard / at sea longer than the Fill Amount timeframe.

Has anyone had to deal with a required medication for a condition that can only be filled for 30 days? And if so, How do you obtain (more like where?)

Sounds difficult, if not impossible.... Especially, If you want to get away from the cold New England weather.

Any thoughts or solutions to this dilemma?

Thank You

Alan
get them to triple the monthly dose!

after a few months you will have 4 month extra,just check expiry dates and use oldest first.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:39   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Once in less well regulated locations many meds become easily available OTC and much more affordable.

Local expats and doctors through the best hospital will help you avoid knockoffs
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 17:04   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

What/who is enforcing the 30 day restriction? Are you trying to solve this for a one time occurrence or for the long term?
Old 12-07-2018, 17:24   #6

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

depends on your plan
if you are on plan that covers medication usually (example dosis x 90 days refill 3 more times)that equals one year.
Someone at home will call the pharmacy have it refill,pick up and mail it to you.
If you are Not covered like this then is an arrangement between you and your physician.
If you do not have either a plan or physician then will depend on each country to contact a health care provider and secure a prescription,more likely a visit to a local physician,this will be not only feasible but cheaper as medications on USA are more expensive.
If medications refills are managed in USA and mail to you be carefully where.
In Mexico my cholesterol meds. were to be picked ONLY if I travel to Mexico City, Customs office,a visit to the local USA Consulate and only because the Consul was a very helpful person intervened and "rescued" my meds and were delivered to
Ixtapa where I was at the time.
good luck
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 02:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
What/who is enforcing the 30 day restriction?...
Do you require a blood test (or other monitoring) every 3 mos? If so, your condition may preclude those longer voyages, away from a Dr.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 03:57   #8

Boat: Currently in between

I got a little caught up in the thought that "other parts of the world do it like we do" which isn't exactly true. When in the Bahamas I went to a local pharmacy, showed my script bottle (not the script itself, it was at a CVS in Florida!) and presto, it was refilled!

If your life depends on the medication I wouldn't count on the above. Depending on where you are in the world it may work or it may not.

I heard a call out for assistance on the George Town (Exuma, Bahamas) Cruiser's Net where a person was asking if anybody had 5 pills of a certain medication to hold them over until their meds arrived from the states. Someone spoke up, said they had the medication and did indeed loan them 5 pills.
Old 13-07-2018, 04:11   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Do you require a blood test (or other monitoring) every 3 mos? ...
I meant to ask "every 30 days"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 16:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I got a little caught up in the thought that "other parts of the world do it like we do" which isn't exactly true. When in the Bahamas I went to a local pharmacy, showed my script bottle (not the script itself, it was at a CVS in Florida!) and presto, it was refilled!

If your life depends on the medication I wouldn't count on the above. Depending on where you are in the world it may work or it may not.

I heard a call out for assistance on the George Town (Exuma, Bahamas) Cruiser's Net where a person was asking if anybody had 5 pills of a certain medication to hold them over until their meds arrived from the states. Someone spoke up, said they had the medication and did indeed loan them 5 pills.
Thank You SV..... Your scenario fits my situation to a "T"... CVS and all

So Once again Thanks for letting tink / breathe a little easier.

Alan
Alan K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 16:18   #11

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

I just phone my doctor's office. They e-mail a prescription for whatever length of time I need, plus a contingency, to the drug store I want to get it from.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 20:41   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
I just phone my doctor's office. They e-mail a prescription for whatever length of time I need, plus a contingency, to the drug store I want to get it from.
IME, this can also be done by fax. Whatever works best where one is. Sometimes the doc can do it by phone. There are usually ways to arrange 6 months or so of supplies, but the docs have to write the prescriptions so that it is clear to the pharmacy that you are to have that much. If your doc requires the results of blood work before re-issuing a particular prescription, then s/he will not want to provide more medicine than the interval between tests.

Ann