Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
A 'What' ? A Chandlery ?

when i was putting my boat in last week i was waiting for the caulk around my centerboard trunk to drive so i walked into the marina to look around. i asked one of the guys working on a boat if they had chandlery and he said to ask the guy who runs the boatyard/shop etc. when i walked in and asked if they carried chandlery once again, he gave me a blank stare, so i said, chandlery.. boating items, etc.. he replied with yeah we have boating stuff but no chandler-whatever you called it. needless to say i wont be going there for any of my needs..
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: what-lerie?

Maybe he no speaky English.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03   #3

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Re: what-lerie?

oh he spokey english alright..
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25   #4

Boat: Baba 40
Re: A 'What' ? A Chandlery ?

When you had asked your question to the guy in the boat yard you made it sound as if it were a thing. It is a place, that may have been why he had the blank stare.

A quick search on the internet brought this up.

Rising out of historical necessity, a chandlery was a store that sold nautical parts, gear, and other commodities to sea-bound vessels. The chandlery came into prominence in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when ships were the preferred method of transportation for the lucrative industries of cargo shipping, fishing, and whaling among other areas. The chandlery in its simplest form acted as a storeroom for hoarding supplies of wax and tallow candles, soaps, oils, paints, ropes, as well as other things that sea-bound sailors would need to aid them in their journeys.
Mostly around the eighteenth century, owners set up their chandlery along wharves, which made their business mostly about providing lighting on board the ships that passed the wharf. As business expanded due to success in the industries that required maritime transit, the chandlery was able to increase its assortment of inventory and began offering other essential supplies for sea-going vessels.

What is a Chandlery?

Cap'n Curly
6string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 13:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

In Newfoundland they call any place by the water where you keep stuff a "store" So, if someone says he is going to the 'store', he is just going to his shed where his line and nets and such are.

It is a 'store' in the vein of "Where do you store your stuff?" "Why in the store of course."

If you wanted to go to the 'store', as in "chandlery" or where to buy things, you go to Mercers or Lewisport Marine as that is it for the entire island. And if you want a quarta of milk or a loaf of bred you go to "Ryans" or perhaps "Ryans Store" which, in the outports could be their garage and the Post Office.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:12   #6

Well, as far as I know, a chandlery in the good old days it was a shop where you could buy wax and candles but for some reason, people have started to call the actual marine shops a chandlery.
DannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 14:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
Well, as far as I know, a chandlery in the good old days it was a shop where you could buy wax and candles but for some reason, people have started to call the actual marine shops a chandlery.

See post 4
BTW, this thread is 7 years old
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 15:21   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Maybe he was from the 1600s in an organization attempting to overthrow the monarchy and had recently time traveled to the future to escape prosecution from the authoritarian regime. Thus far during his time in the 2010s he had only determined that candles were no longer needed, but was unaware that "chandlery" now also meant ship's goods.

Already surmising that candles had become obsolete he found it suspicious that someone in this modern age would request such a facility. Hoping to mask his origin he claimed to not know what such a facility might be. All the while concerned his hidden identity was on the cusp of discovery.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 16:02   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Maybe he was from the 1600s in an organization attempting to overthrow the monarchy and had recently time traveled to the future to escape prosecution from the authoritarian regime. Thus far during his time in the 2010s he had only determined that candles were no longer needed, but was unaware that "chandlery" now also meant ship's goods.

Already surmising that candles had become obsolete he found it suspicious that someone in this modern age would request such a facility. Hoping to mask his origin he claimed to not know what such a facility might be. All the while concerned his hidden identity was on the cusp of discovery.
That MUST be it! Good thinking...

Jim

Tags
chandlery