Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
No second meaning for the word Twinkie was meant. Didn't know the slang term.

Regards,
Brad
Yeah, ok
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:50   #47

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
I think Davis Old Jersey was on the right track about the counseling with one exception.
Instead of Crystals, a bunch of ,50 BMG rounds will cure what ails them PERMANENTLY...
If you have an unknown vessel approaching you, 10-20 rounds in front of them will cause any halfway intelligent person to veer off if they are honest seaman.
If they don't veer off the chances are good that they are pirate TRASH and up to know good. So what's the problem, just dispose of the trash. If a good watch is being maintained, all this can be achieved while the pirates are well out of RPG range..
2000 meters for the .50 and 300-350 meters for the RPG

Naaaah. Crystals. Pink ones. They'd go better with the twinkies :-).
JOHN
Old 03-11-2010, 13:00   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
James S - are you actually in Yemen? If so, what's the inside story?
The inside story is there are bloody check points everywhere.
Went to parent teachers conferences today at the kids school and had to pass through 5 or 6 check points to get there...looking for the bomb maker....what a pain.
Otherwise everything is normal for this place...another beautiful day,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yemen.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	20772  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 13:07   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Went to parent teachers conferences today at the kids school and had to pass through 5 or 6 check points to get there...looking for the bomb maker....what a pain.
My Mum and Dad made up excuses, too.
I think they hated me.
I was 6 years old when my family moved from Adeliade to Perth.
It took me 6 months to find them

Better a few checkpoints than a plane load of innocents being blown out of the sky.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 14:08   #50

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Place all your valuables and females on the foredeck. They'll stop soon enough...
What if they are Gay pirates.....hehehe....put the men on the decks!!!
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 14:12   #51

Boat: 42 hatteras
protect yer booty arrrrrrrrggg.... literally
Ruf361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 15:14   #52

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
How about an international treaty that agrees to allow firearms on vessels to be regulated by the flagging country, and NOT by the country the vessel happens to be in.

The largest problem with traveling while armed with weapons is that you have to comply with each countries local firearm regulations. This fuctionaly mean that you have to comply with the strictest regulations of the countries you might travel to. That quickly becomes virtualy impossible, so to comply, you can have no weapons.

If however, you only had to comply with your flagging countries regulations, that would be much much easier.

This is similar to the idea that you don't have to pay taxs for each local country. Americans don't have to pay European VAT taxs when visiting. Europeans don't have to pay American state sales or use taxs when visiting.

Any country would be free not to sign the treaty, and thus continue to enforce their own regulations as they see fit. However, if it was extended to merchant vessels, and was seen as a cheap methoid to control loss of said vessels to piracy, I could see it being adopted.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 15:36   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
travel by submarine ? have yet to hear of one of those being attacked...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 15:59   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
travel by submarine ? have yet to hear of one of those being attacked...........
Submarine-Powerboat Hybrid Soon To Be On Sale For $3.5 Million

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:02   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
How about an international treaty that agrees to allow firearms on vessels to be regulated by the flagging country, and NOT by the country the vessel happens to be in.
So Somalians can bring AK47s into the US but Canadian's cannot?
stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:38   #56

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Place all your valuables and females on the foredeck. They'll stop soon enough...
Especially if I place my ex wife on the foredeck. Without a gag she would nag them into submission.

Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 18:09   #57

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
So Somalians can bring AK47s into the US but Canadian's cannot?
Treaties only apply between states that have signed them.

Somolia has no goverment, so it can't sign a treaty, thus the Somolies won't be able to abide by it.

Also, there is no reason that countries like Canada can't include an exemption for ocean going vessels. I would assume proper registration, and cataloging would be required for a nation like Canada, but still possible. Even an exemption for fully automatic weapons in nations like the US.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:45   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If you have an unknown vessel approaching you, 10-20 rounds in front of them will cause any halfway intelligent person to veer off if they are honest seaman.
If they don't veer off the chances are good that they are pirate TRASH and up to know good. So what's the problem, just dispose of the trash. If a good watch is being maintained, all this can be achieved while the pirates are well out of RPG range..
2000 meters for the .50 and 300-350 meters for the RPG

Afw for Gods sake, are there still nutty opinions like this around.

Firslty theres "one" of you and "many" of them, secondly you have to be "lucky" several times , they have to only lucky once.

Then theres the 10-20 rounds, what are you using a automatic, thatll get you arrested in most every country on the planet ( proably as a potenial pirate).

Lastly these guys are simply better figthers then you are, theyve been shooting and killing people for years, likely youve never done it before.

Sorry mate, youll just end up dead, unfortunately your actions will encourage all the pirates to treat every subsequent yacht as armed and through your stupidity Ill end up dead as well. seeesh can we leave the nonsese "gun" stuff behind

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I've known a few over the road truckers in my time. Usually a group not to be trifled with.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:18   #60

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post

The largest problem with traveling while armed with weapons is that you have to comply with each countries local firearm regulations. This fuctionaly mean that you have to comply with the strictest regulations of the countries you might travel to. That quickly becomes virtualy impossible, so to comply, you can have no weapons.

If however, you only had to comply with your flagging countries regulations, that would be much much easier.

This is similar to the idea that you don't have to pay taxs for each local country. Americans don't have to pay European VAT taxs when visiting. Europeans don't have to pay American state sales or use taxs when visiting.

Any country would be free not to sign the treaty, and thus continue to enforce their own regulations as they see fit. However, if it was extended to merchant vessels, and was seen as a cheap methoid to control loss of said vessels to piracy, I could see it being adopted.
I don't think I would be comfortable with the idea of foreign vessels roaming our waters armed to the teeth. North Korean yachts carrying scud missiles, Arabian Sheiks on super yachts with attack helicopters. I'd hate to be the guy who has to check their fishing licenses.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote