Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 21:33   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Has anyone seen unexplainable phenomena while at sea?

Jedi, Are those still there ?? saw them so long ago I thought they would be gone by now !!
Old 28-03-2013, 00:45   #32

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I was coming out of Marina del Rey one day and I saw a 30 foot sailboat headed right for the breakwater. I pulled up close (nobody in the cockpit), blew my horn and called out. A guy came staggering up from below to take the helm about 100 ft from the rocks. Apparently, he had been napping on the way home from Catalina. That was pretty unexplainable to me.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 02:18   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Ahh, the Maunsell forts. I have seen them. Supposedly developed to protect the Thames estuary from the Germans; my belief is they are actually disguised, abandoned Martian fighting machines chronicled by HG Wells
Exactly! I can clearly see the barrels where the death-ray is fired from.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 02:36   #34
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Jedi, Are those still there ?? saw them so long ago I thought they would be gone by now !!
Very much still there, both sets, Red Sands & Shivering Sands. Used as racing marks sometimes. Not that far from a wreck with about 1,400 tonnes of 2nd world war explosives still onboard which, apparently, would turn Sheerness into a UFO if it went off. No great loss, some might say

Click image for larger version

Name:	red sands.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	58095
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 02:45   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Very much still there, both sets, Red Sands & Shivering Sands. Used as racing marks sometimes. Not that far from a wreck with about 1,400 tonnes of 2nd world war explosives still onboard which, apparently, would turn Sheerness into a UFO if it went off. No great loss, some might say

Attachment 58095
no death rays when i went past them last year........though we had no rum on board!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barge to london 004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	58098   Click image for larger version

Name:	barge to london 006.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	58099  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:07   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
no death rays when i went past them last year........though we had no rum on board!
I'll be passing them on the way down to the medway next week, extra strength tin foil hat on just in case, you never know

Tinfoil hat might not look out of place round the medway either
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:11   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I'll be passing them on the way down to the medway next week, extra strength tin foil hat on just in case, you never know

Tinfoil hat might not look out of place round the medway either
take plenty of rum.....just in case
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:11   #38

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

After a couple of days at sea, crew from 2 seperate boats were discussing our trip. One person, Wendy on yacht Shanen, mentioned hearing voices - two people taking to each other. Later one of them humming to the tunes on the iPod.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up .... I had a similar experience, the same night over the same area on the other yacht. I was not going to say anything as I thought it was just from being tired. My "voices" were two kids laughing and playing. The earlier shift crew also had voices taking to each other.

Strange, real strange. We were off the coast of Mozambique where they have been many wrecks. Coming home over the same area nothing happened. Thank goodness.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:26   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I've got a pet alien that inhabits my washing machine. Seems to live off a diet of socks. I think it has a friend in the wardrobe that keeps on cloning its strange wiry self.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:27   #40

Boat: Nonsuch 30

A day out of New York on the way to Bermuda in the 1980 s, we heard a loud bang-bang. We wondered what it could be. Took us half an hour or so to realize that it was the Concorde breaking the sound barrier on the way to Europe.
Old 28-03-2013, 04:42   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Remember the sounds you hear inside seem to come from outside but can't hear them outside? We've had those plenty incl. one time they sounded like an old man breathing; turnedout to be dolphins of-course... they were swimming with us so low profile that we had to shine a light to discover them.

Also, the whales... I always wonder how far away thay are when we hear their songs inside the boat but are nowhere to be found outside.

One night at anchor we were shocked to wake up on the rocks. Running out I find we're in the same spot safely anchored. Then I heard the splashing and it was a 4' yellowfin something hunting fish around the hull and slapping it with the tail.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:03   #42

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Many years ago on my first overnight passage aboard my new to me Morgan 44 we were traveling from Marco Island, FL to the Keys. It was a beautiful clear night with no wind. I was motoring along with the autopilot steering a rhumb line. Around 12 am I see a single white light in the sky and it appears to be moving erratically from left to right then back to left again. I wake up my wife and we both watch this light zig zagging all over the sky trying to figure out what it could be...after a while I happened to glance down at the compass and was shocked to see it was gyrating all over the place. Holy Crap we must be in the Bermuda Triangle! Then, it finally dawned on me that the white light in the sky was moving in sync with the spinning compass. Ding, another light went off in my head...the freakin autopilot has gone haywire and was steering us back and forth on a slalom course, the light in the sky was the first bright star of the evening. Duh.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:04   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has anyone seen unexplainable phenomena while at sea?

I was on a solo crossing... when down below asleep one night I was woken by snuffling and heavy breathing... went on deck but saw nothing in the darkness around the boat... got back in my bunk and then heard it again so leapt up and this time grabbed the spotlite on the way up and switched it on...
Scared the life outa me when there was an almighty tail slap so close I felt spray.... switched off the light real fast... mumbled an apology and shot back below deck..
Next morning discovered a pod of Orca I'd seen the day before had decided to keep me company...
Once I'd told them food wrapped in plastic is carcinogenic we got on great till we parted company..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 07:06   #44

Boat: contessa 32

I had the same experience as Ocean Girl: Large circular glowing light in mid Atlantic @ 2 am, water depth 3 miles. Thought my keel(7 ft. draft) would hit it but the boat just ghosted over it at 1.5 its. Always saw bioluminescence in that 30 day crossing so was very familiar with all aspects of this beautiful phenomena ;however the light characteristics here were markedly different and an immobile object in the water does not create the turbulence that sets off the light show.
Ivan Sanderson wrote Invisible Residents that is still in print and gives many documented cases of USos (S= submerged) going back to the nineteenth century.
I assume the OP being from Canada is aware of he more recent Shag Harbor incident in Nova Scotia that is quite extraordinary and worth a google.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 07:46   #45

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Nothing like waking the captain up to say we are on a collision course, only to be informed it's a "damn star".... won't fall for that trick again.