Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 18:15   #1

Boat: Pearson Invicta 38"
V-berth Mattresses

As we refit our boat for a 3 year cruise, we need to replace the V-berth mattresses. The few marine mattress sites I find have foam only mattresses, are there coil mattresses out there and are they even recommended? Does anyone have a company they have worked with and are happy with the quality? We are in Connecticut if that helps with recommendations.

Thanks
Tara
tflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:49   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: V-berth Mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
As we refit our boat for a 3 year cruise, we need to replace the V-berth mattresses. The few marine mattress sites I find have foam only mattresses, are there coil mattresses out there and are they even recommended? Does anyone have a company they have worked with and are happy with the quality? We are in Connecticut if that helps with recommendations.

Thanks
Tara

I put memory foam on top of standard marine cushions and find it very comfy. You can have a bed-type mattress made to fit, but you'll pay out the wazoo for it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:15   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Walmart. Really, no ****. Futons with , foam, cotton batting. They have a mod. heavy cotton cover that one can just open up. Cut the mattress to the reqired shape, resew and bingo. Or one can spend $600 for the same thing.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:17   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Walmart. Really, no ****. Futons with , foam, cotton batting. They have a mod. heavy cotton cover that one can just open up. Cut the mattress to the reqired shape, resew and bingo. Or one can spend $600 for the same thing.

Trust me -- put a memory foam topper on that. Doesn't cost much. BTW the foam cuts very well with an electric carving knife (do they even make those any more?)
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:57   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There are a few of them around that will make em anyway ya want them! Springs or not, foam or not! Try a Google for marine mattress's Im sure ya will find a few!
Old 03-07-2013, 21:12   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

We had a custom made spring mattress in our last boat and it was the most comfy bed I have ever slept on. The only thing you have to consider is the height. Most often the v berths are under the chain locker and it might get tight if the mattress is very thick.
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:36   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sorry to have told ya google,I thought I had some mattress places in my favorites, but I can't find them !! or I would have given you the addys !!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We bought the firm closed cell 6" foam in two rectangular pieces and cut them down so each forms half of the V-berth. We then added a layer of memory foam on each an covered each with a "twin sized" fitted mattress cover.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03   #9

Boat: Pearson Invicta 38"

Thanks for the input and I finally figured out how to find old threads and in 2008 there were a lot of recommendations, so I begin my work getting this done. Don't want to spend a lot of money but I have back issues and I think a good mattress is a worthy splurge when we will be living on the cheap with the rest of the things we do.

Happy 4th of July
Tara
tflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
.......................... a good mattress is a worthy splurge .....................................
I agree with the importance of the mattress; however, I don't think that paying extra for someone to custom make a mattress will necessarily result in a better night's sleep than many of the far less expensive plans above.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I currently have a foam mattress with attached memory foam topper I bought off of Amazon and cut it down to size with an electric carving knife. Very comfortable still after 2 years of everyday use.

Advertised at 12" I measured it after it had expanded and only got 10". Lucky for me it was only 10" or I'd have problems opening the doors to my chain locker. I possibly should have cut it into two mattresses as it almost didn't make it through the companionway hatch as one piece even after being trimmed down for the forward berth.

FYI: A foam company I dealt with before doesn't recommend foam mattresses under 5" in thickness and will not guarantee any mattress under 5".

I purchased a $100 Walmart foam mattress 5-6 years ago. It wasn't very thick, even new wasn't very comfortable, and the foam compressed itself where I was sleeping on it within 3-4 months of liveaboard use. Highly do not recommend.

Having a mattress company make a custom mattress is very expensive at least 2-3 times more money than cutting down my own but it would come with a custom cover. I just zipped the original cover the mattress came in back on even though it was a little oversized now. :-)
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

6 to 8 inches of really firm foam covered with 2 to 3 inches of memory foam then covered with a breathable fabric is the ticket. It's the best I have even slept on. It is hard to find good firm foam for the base and it really matters. The price of the stuff has skyrocketed and using cheaper foam will bottom out in short order.

Springs rust and non breathable materials mold! You really don't want either. If you go thinner then you get condensation under the mattress and more mold.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 13:22   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Another vote for walmart, but the online store. I got a 8" foam mattress in a box for my V-berth a few years back. It's 4" of high density foam, 2" medium density and 2" memory foam. Its been the best mattress I've had. Closed ell foam so moisture does not soak in either.

Cut to fit and sew the outer case to match and its perfect.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 14:01   #14

Boat: Bombay PH 31

also note that the bottom foam, if closed cell, floats and can support a normal sized person.
Pop off epirb, toss out mattress and have a nap while waiting?
Old 04-07-2013, 15:00   #15

Boat: Colvic Victor 34

We use 13cm firm foam, professional upholsterer quality, with a layer of fibre wadding, then upholstered. This is very supportive and comfortable and also breathes well. We have tried a topper layer of memory foam, it suits my wife but for me is too soft and too warm. It's like being wrapped in insulation, not that I've tried that! We are in southern spain and it can get very warm.i would imagine that memory foam would be better in cooler climes.
Marmenorman is offline   Reply With Quote