Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 17:01   #91

Re: Those Simple Ideas Liveaboards Have to Improve Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Is that as; winding chain around a primary winch? Sounds as though it must be if you're using a chain snubber. Doesn't that damage your winch which is intended for cord / rope?

This is the modern version of the capstan. A hawse would be used on the winch, with a chain hook. When the line is wound up, the line and hook is transferred to more chain. If you had ‘em the nippers would be doing this for you, and someone would be fiddling.
I get it thanks. Do you sing "walk around as were rolling homeward" at the same time.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:34   #92

Home made air conditioner made from a tote with the side cut out and placed over a hatch (bunjie it down) facing the open end of the tote to the wind and the cut out over the hatch provides a breeze strong enough to blow stuff off the galley table!
Gypsy Rose II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:51   #93

Love it, check the 2nd hand used clothes stores for even cheaper sweats!
Old 29-10-2015, 07:56   #94

I found tough work wear pants made in Denmark that have knee pads (replaceable) that you place in them when needed, very tough knee material, lots of pockets, waist band grip, etc, Check em out at Leevalley.com ($80. Can)
Old 29-10-2015, 08:51   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Re,
using a primary winch to bring up the anchor, I am installing a windlass now, but that is exactly what I have been doing with my IP for the last year and a half, and she's 25,000 lbs or so with 3/8' chain. Actually full disclosure I was using my Son, but he is now gone, so that is why the windlass, it wears the old man out doing it by hand.
I can usually just manhandle the thing if there is little or no wind, but if I can't my Genoa sheet winch makes short work of it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:58   #96

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Re,
using a primary winch to bring up the anchor, I am installing a windlass now, but that is exactly what I have been doing with my IP for the last year and a half, and she's 25,000 lbs or so with 3/8' chain. Actually full disclosure I was using my Son, but he is now gone, so that is why the windlass, it wears the old man out doing it by hand.
I can usually just manhandle the thing if there is little or no wind, but if I can't my Genoa sheet winch makes short work of it.

A64, me too. When I had a problem with my electric windlass I used long snubbers run back to the Genoa sheet winches to pull up 3/8" chain. Anchorages on the California coast are deeper than in Florida so even though this worked I was glad to get my electric windlass back on line.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:42   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Re,

Ah, that makes sense. We cruised one season with our young nephew. He was strong and oh so willing to please. His ship name was "windlass". After he left we were inspired to get an actual windlass.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 29-10-2015, 11:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

My morning routine is to take my second, or third coffee out to the bow and start cranking. Crank a few, take a sip, take in the beautiful surrounds, crank a few more, sip, repeat... No need to get winded or strained.
Mike's approach is the one we use.

My biggest difficulty is getting up to the bow in the first place before the wind comes up.

Then it becomes a dance!

But being up there quietly pulling the rode in with NO WORK involved is priceless.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:45   #99

Boat: Coast 34

In resonse to IP Man's question earlier, we hang our portabote dinghy out of the water almost every night. This accomplishes 3 things: keeps the bottom cleaner and growth-free in the warm waters of Mexico, ostensibly prevents easy dinghy and outboard theft, and keeps the dinghy from bumping the boat when the wind shifts. Would anyone try to steal our portabote or 3.5 hp outboard? Probably not, but it would really suck to have to replace them if they did disappear.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:17   #100

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Bought a boat where a cruising couple kept fruits an vegs. in a net hammock with whole garlic in the bottom. Supposedly it prolonged ripening?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:39   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't know why I didn't think of this one years ago. I've suffered many 3am nudges in the ribs with Nancie telling me that she can't sleep because some halyards are "thawping"! It never seems to help for me to mention that I can't sleep while being poked in the ribs. It's not the banging against the rigging, but a subtle sound of the lines striking each other. I do my best to tension them the same, pulling my working jib halyard and both ends of my spinnaker halyard together at the aft end of my club foot boom. One always seems to pick up a different resonance and bounce off the others.

The perfect solution! I can take one line and wrap it around the other two,- voila! No noise,- no jab in the ribs!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:46   #102

Boat: 44 footer

Hudson Force, that is a great idea to cut down on noise!

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:04   #103

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't know why I didn't think of this one years ago. I've suffered many 3am nudges in the ribs with Nancie telling me that she can't sleep because some halyards are "thawping"! It never seems to help for me to mention that I can't sleep while being poked in the ribs. It's not the banging against the rigging, but a subtle sound of the lines striking each other. I do my best to tension them the same, pulling my working jib halyard and both ends of my spinnaker halyard together at the aft end of my club foot boom. One always seems to pick up a different resonance and bounce off the others.

The perfect solution! I can take one line and wrap it around the other two,- voila! No noise,- no jab in the ribs!
Sounds about the same as they did with auto ant. several year back. The 1ft, or so had something spiraled around it to eliminate the resonate hum.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 22:34   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

STAINLESS STEEL MAINTENANCE: I was lucky to have number of great teachers in the art of liveaboard skills. One such simple lesson was about SS maintenance. I simply mix fluid car polish of the cheapest type with powder VIM, then apply to SS then rub it in obtaining great shine. I got my cat when it was 20 years launched tiday I own it 9 years and my SS still source of pride.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 22:36   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

NOISY LINES: I installed collapsing mast steps and use some opened to twist my li es around, no noise here!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard