Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 04:54   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Re: Those Simple Ideas Liveaboards Have to Improve Life

Jolly Rogers very right his size of yacht probably cause list of health problems heartattack, hernia... But on yacht of -40 feet I would go for manual windlass anytime. I regret having struggled with electrical windlass for years, cockpit switches, bow foot switches, remote with wire through my hatch... The electrical motor seemed to be rwady to pack up anytime u der such duress created by forces of nature! When eventualky did pack up I used manual sgeet winch on main mast to haul anchor, had to leave the chain groundtackle until got my manual windlass. I watch the chain loosening in any sea, winch in the slack, wait again for slack in between waves. The last part lufting anchor out of bottom easy I jyst position boat right above anchor and wave action does the rest, a stainless steel plate under my bow receives and lick in place the Rocna.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 05:03   #77

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

My old Hartley Tasman came without a windlass. Getting the pick out of the river mud was a bit of a nightmare and, at 62, more effort than I wanted to deal with.

I found a used Lofrans Royal manual on eBay for $100 and spent another $227.35 on parts to overhaul it, including a new handle, stripper and rebuild kit. Best money I ever invested.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:24   #78

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

OLD WET SUITS - for knee pads, cut the sleeves out of the suits, with possible addition of a folded sock stuffed between knee cap and neoprene. The rest of the suit cut into strips and glued with Rubber Cement works well for locker or hatch/skylight gaskets.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:32   #79

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

As I said in my post, “It depends on fitness and age.” It sometimes made me feel physically sick. As regards the physical benefits, that’s up to the individual.
I also have a boomed staysail pivoting just forward of the windlass, which was always in the way when operating the long lever of the manual winch.
My electric winch brings in the all-chain rode three of four times faster than any manual, which is nice when it’s hurtling down with rain.
I also use switches similar to what Privilege showed from Home Depot or Lowe’s, but mine are twin toggles. The top toggle operates the 120 volt interior sconce lights and the bottom one works the 12 volt ceiling and reading lights. These are set in regular domestic boxes, so there is no fear of electrocution where they back into lockers.
One of the other niggling issues I’ve been toying with is this:
Has anyone invented, or is there anything on the market which deploys chain as it comes into the locker, stopping it banking up and clogging the naval pipe. Apart from the wife that is.
Old 25-10-2015, 07:44   #80

”What an ambitious thing to do. I love the belaying pins.”
Thanks: I recommend them on all types of sailboats, even modern designs. They are excellent for laying off halyards on windy nights, stowing extra ropes, like heaving lines—which you can never find when you need them quick.
Not to mention the time old method of acquiring extra crew...
Old 25-10-2015, 12:28   #81

Boat: Rafiki 37

Manual windlass: As with everything on a smallish cruising bost, there are many "right" choices. Nothing wrong with a good electric. I prefer the simplicity and robustness of my manual. And while my boat isn't quite in Jolly Roger's size league, we're not too far off, weighing in at 15 tons.

It's true it takes me longer to haul up my rode (all 3/8") and 55# rocna, but aside from a couple of "Oh Shyt" events, I'm never in that much of a hurry anyway. That's why I'm a cruiser. My morning routine is to take my second, or third coffee out to the bow and start cranking. Crank a few, take a sip, take in the beautiful surrounds, crank a few more, sip, repeat... No need to get winded or strained.

BTW, our cutter has the same issue with the staysail tack mount. It does get in the way a bit, but I find I can sheet the staysail boom over to port and mostly get things out of the way.

Belaying pins: Love them. Great for storing all types of line, including extra halyards and docklines when we're coastal hoping. Our boat came with teak pins set in the shrouds (with a teak ratline to the first spreader to stbrd). We also have a couple of bronze pins that we use as a simple tiller lock. Love them!

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 25-10-2015, 13:52   #82

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells View Post
I noticed in a earlier posting in this thread, that Goosebumps mentioned having a manual windless. I have a 27 foot Hunter; most of my sailing is single handled. Pulling the anchor manually has been a struggle; might be related to age................

I'm interested in finding out who is using a manual windlass and what manufacturer etc. I prefer keeping it simple and not having to run wiring to the bow.........like to hear thoughts from others.

Mike
Use a primary winch and an anchor chain snubber.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:23   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Manual windlass: As with everything on a smallish cruising bost, there are many "right" choices. Nothing wrong with a good electric. I prefer the simplicity and robustness of my manual. And while my boat isn't quite in Jolly Roger's size league, we're not too far off, weighing in at 15 tons.

It's true it takes me longer to haul up my rode (all 3/8") and 55# rocna, but aside from a couple of "Oh Shyt" events, I'm never in that much of a hurry anyway. That's why I'm a cruiser. My morning routine is to take my second, or third coffee out to the bow and start cranking. Crank a few, take a sip, take in the beautiful surrounds, crank a few more, sip, repeat... No need to get winded or strained.

I follow this plan of Mike OReilly. My 41' ketch is on the heavy side, but I'm not working to pull my boat to the anchor. I crank up the slack and let the chain catenary, with the inertia of my boat's first movement, lead me toward the anchor. Mike's plan of crank and little,- sip a little, crank a little,- pause to appreciate the surroundings, crank a little.... makes for casual work and exploiting your boat's inertia.

I use a manual Simpson-Lawrence "Sea Tiger"....

I will often take a moment between cranking up fifteen or twenty feet to reach out with my boat hook and snag my chain, giving it a couple of quick jerks. When the bottom is muddy this cleans my chain and keeps my anchor locker clean.
Old 25-10-2015, 15:18   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Use a primary winch and an anchor chain snubber.
Is that as; winding chain around a primary winch? Sounds as though it must be if you're using a chain snubber. Doesn't that damage your winch which is intended for cord / rope?
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:31   #85

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I will often take a moment between cranking up fifteen or twenty feet to reach out with my boat hook and snag my chain, giving it a couple of quick jerks. When the bottom is muddy this cleans my chain and keeps my anchor locker clean.

Another great idea HF. I've done the old heave-ho with the chain up and down when it drags up mud, but that can be hard on the back. I also dump water from a bucket down the chain to clean it off, but your use of the boathook is simple and elegant. Thanks!

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 25-10-2015, 15:35   #86

Is that as; winding chain around a primary winch? Sounds as though it must be if you're using a chain snubber. Doesn't that damage your winch which is intended for cord / rope?

This is the modern version of the capstan. A hawse would be used on the winch, with a chain hook. When the line is wound up, the line and hook is transferred to more chain. If you had ‘em the nippers would be doing this for you, and someone would be fiddling.
Old 25-10-2015, 15:38   #87

Boat: Able 50

You wind the snubber around the winch.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:20   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
On fender covers, we went without them for years but our painted hull is so old that the paint becomes thin where the fenders are usually hung. Especially now that we hang the dinghy every night against the fenders since we are cruising. Now, we put teeshirts from Goodwill on the fenders to protect the boat. It actually looks kind of cute.

Hi Annie, curious about "hanging the dinghy" against your fenders. It that what it sounds like? Out of the water?

Thanks

IP Man
Old 26-10-2015, 14:46   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FENDER COVERS

Annie in WA:

I had to laugh at myself! You see, I buy my T-shirts from Goodwill and other thrift shops, actually, most of my clothes. The reason is that the new clothes fade so fast they look like they came from Salvation Army after a year, anyway, plus, I like the concept of recycling them. So, you're using MY CLOTHES for fender covers, whereas I, actually bought NEW polyester canvas to cover my fenders. [Is this a different strokes for different folks sort of situation or what? ]

My T-shirts are too "lacy" when I give them up to be good for anything but rags, I'm afraid. I have also used track suits and track suit fabric for fender covers, but I think I prefer the chafe resistance of the canvas, and, so far, it is kind to the paint on our topsides, as well.

And as to interior clothesline, I run mine through the padeyes on the deck beam (for the lee cloth attachment) to the mast/deck tension rod, secure with a rolling hitch, and voila!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 26-10-2015, 15:07   #90

Those hanging multi compartment canvas shoe storage devices that hang on a door or in your closet are excellent for storing shoes but also many other things on your boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard