Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 19:16   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Yep $3,500 in my experience isnt livin high in the hog, I'd say its about normal for the average cruiser with whom I knock around with. It dosent take much to add up.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 19:21   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

In fact its approx 50k aud which is exactly my budget. If you yanks would just knock that dollar of yours down abit I could buy more coffee.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 19:28   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think quite a few spend way more than $3,500.
It truly does depend, how much does a house cost? To some is $10,000, some it's 1,000,000, or much more.
Both are houses that you can raise a family in.

Although I'm of the opinion that due to costs of the boat that $800 is not long term sustainable with the average cruising boat.
Plus I talk to many about how much does it cost, and I get answers that don't think about the engine overhaul they did a couple of years ago, or Insurence, or bottom jobs etc. Just how much they spend on a monthly basis, without a set aside. Some handle that by going to work to pay for those big expenses as they happen or maybe dig into savings etc.
Listening to people's monthly expenses it's really hard to make any conclusions because you just don't know what is included. SB's published expenses look like they include what they are actually spending. So big ticket items will show up in the future. Some like to say how cheaply they did the Bahamas per month - not including the 6 months of staples they bought in FLA. Others say how little they spend per month and don't include the new solar panels they bought, or make comparisons between one person on a boat versus a couple or even through in a few kids.
Old 21-07-2017, 20:19   #34

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Like a certain Charles Dickens character, I always want more, but I really appreciate what you provide. Thanks!
Old 22-07-2017, 00:08   #35

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

To see all the historical sites in the east coast... there are so many. What has been your favorite so far? What was your wife's favorite?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 00:28   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It's that $800 is at the extreme low end and $3500 is pretty high. Most people can do it for less and I don't envy the people who spend the big bucks. "Castigating" was supposed to be humorous.
Im at a loss here to understand this statement.
Why is $3500 high? The guy has retired and wants to sail and also live a good life. This costing thing is going to rain on someones parade...

If Don costed just the ACTUAL expenses to run his house (boat) then its pretty reasonable AND comparable to shore dwelling if you factor in marina charges. How a person chooses to spend disposable income is not something we can judge or comment on... ITs his money! We may choose to spend OUR money differently and that is what its all about.

I was one of those who watched Don 'endure' the final two years of his career. I wondered if the cruising dream would actually happen for him.

There is nothing but respect and admiration for his achievement, and to see him enjoying it is the cherry on the cake.

You spend as you see fit Don... You worked for it..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 00:41   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Regarding the hull fouling. Spend some time in Fresh water when you have the importunity. Salt water life forms cannot survive in fresh water for the most part.
And vice versa.

Thanks for the budget info.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 02:45   #38
cruiser

Quote:
It's that $800 is at the extreme low end and $3500 is pretty high. Most people can do it for less and I don't envy the people who spend the big bucks. "Castigating" was supposed to be humorous.
If you really think $3500 per month is spending "the big bucks," you most likely don't get out much.

I'm thinking my next door neighbor here in Montenegro aboard mega yacht "Kismet" is probably spending more than $3500 per month on caviar alone to put on his crackers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	152415  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 04:38   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Thanks Guy. Just wanted to be sure no one thought I was criticizing Don in any way. He's out ther, doing it, and doing it his way. The vast majority of folks never leave the dock, or only do so for a short while. I think his example is great.

I don't spend nearly what he does -- I can't. Still out, enjoying life here on the water.
Old 22-07-2017, 04:52   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I don't spend nearly what he does -- I can't. Still out, enjoying life here on the water.
Don't you think it would be useful for your "camp" if you provided a break down for that $800? No one in the lower budget camp ever does a long term breakdown they just toss out a number.
Old 22-07-2017, 04:57   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

This reminds me of a discussion I often have with wannabe expats regarding how much it costs to live in various Central American countries. The biggest determinant is not the venue, but rather how you choose to live. Same for cruising I think.

Locals I know support families on a few hundred dollars a month. Some cruisers/expats get by on not much more. If you live like a local (lots of rice, beans, a scrap of protien, no travel, no meals out, no booze, no toy purchases...) then yep you can get by really cheap. But in the words of Jimmy Buffet..."life's a little less restrained if you got some spending money...".

You can live cheap in any venue. I used to work a lot in Manhattan. Cost of living there is insane...you need a 7 figure income just to get by. But, the street people I walked by each early AM were living in Manhattan really cheap. Its just about choices or necessity.

Can you cruise on $1K or less per month...of course, people are doing it. Can you spend more...way too easily! [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:04   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We spent $800 last month. Full time cruising down the St. Lawrence (Canada -- not exactly a third world country) right now. Not trying to get into a spat. Just sayin'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Don't you think it would be useful for your "camp" if you provided a break down for that $800? No one in the lower budget camp ever does a long term breakdown they just toss out a number.
Excellent point Don.

I'm thinking that not a lot of sightseeing, moving about or tasting the local cuisine was being done for $800. And at the $500/month cruising budget price point, I'm thinking basic survival without any healthcare or boat insurance.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:43   #43

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
heathcare or boat insurance.
Terminology peeve of mine that's developed over the last few years: health insurance is not health care.

Going to the doc to get fixed up is health care.

Getting someone else to share the cost of health care with you is health insurance. Big difference.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:25   #44

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Thanks Sailorboy1. I love this blog. Thinking about retiring in 5 years this could be an option. I'm going to look at a slip for sale in Charlestown Boston - living aboard there in summer and sailing somewhere else in winter, and hopefully renting it out.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:51   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Actually, I believe Sailor Chic has, a couple of times I think.
But if so remember correctly she is putting off a bottom job at least cause she can't just yet, I'd surmise the engine overhaul sort of threw a wrench into things, as it would for most.

She isn't moving much I don't think, and that I assume has to be a cost savings. Now I'm not saying she sits on a mooring and never moves, just she isn't clearing in and out of different countries, I know she sails quite a bit.
However anything, a house, a car, an airplane and a boat, all require regular maintenance. Remember the commercial, " Pay me now, or pay me later?" Well it's like that. You can put some things off, but eventually, you have to pay. Many ways to scrimp and save of course and the lower your budget is, the more competent you have to be in savings. Know when where and how to buy used sails, recut them etc.
I intend to learn how to sew, I have the machine, but now I'm like a pig looking at a wrist watch with the thing.
I'm saving all my old running rigging, cause I think someday I will run into someone that can use it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising