Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-05-2010, 13:07   #1

Boat: 1989 Hunter 30
Keeping 'Dock Walkers' Off the Boat !

This is becoming an issue. 'Moving' is not really an option right now... although that would be my first choice.

My girlfriend and I live aboard our Hunter 30' along with our three month old son. We are currently leasing a slip at a fairly large marina (only one that allows liveaboards and accommodates sailboats) on a 'party lake'. We are having issues with random people looking into and coming aboard our boat! The marina has a security patrol and gated access to each dock, but with the largest boat rental inventory on the lake two docks over .... there are quite a few people roaming around (like 1,000+ on weekends!). We have had two incidents in the past few months... Here they are.

About a month ago, around 4pm, Ali was sitting shirtless in the saloon burping the baby having just finished breastfeeding, when she felt someone come aboard, she didn't think much of it as I would be arriving home soon. Then a college-age male stuck his head in the companionway, looked around and said "ohh... I didn't know anyone was in here...(still not leaving)..." until she responded "UMM, YA, SOMEONE IS IN HERE!" Then he just casually walked away as he made a phone call. She of course was freaked out and called me.

Then this morning, as Ali was changing the baby in the v-birth about to leave for work she turned around and saw a 'really creepy looking guy' leaning over the starboard rail, hands cupped, looking into the boat! Even when he saw her he just continued to 'look around' until she 'shooed' him away. He then looked offended as he walked back to his car. As he left Ali noticed he was carrying a camera, which of course creped her out even more.

So... have y'all had any similar issues, what did you do? What do you do to prevent them? Both of these instances make me pretty mad and I would have handled them MUCH differently had I been aboard!! (I will just say that I DO have a gun , this IS Texas, and they stepped into MY house!) There is not much we can do to secure the place any better, so I was thinking along the lines of some kind of posted sign. Something along the lines of 'we live here, do not come aboard'...?

Any Ideas?
RQF4 is offline   Reply With Quote