Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 18:22   #91
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Just out of curiousity, who do you have pictures of him sitting aorund on your computer..?

Dare I ask if your screen saver or desk top background is the one ˙ou posted above...?

(It is okay, I am liberal and open-minded and your sexual orientation and life style is of no concern to me, really. Don't be shy, come on out, the door is open )
Moderator David M is a happily married research vessel captain who lives in the San Francisco Bay area . . . oh, yeah, well, uhm . . . never mind . . .

TaoJones
Old 16-05-2010, 18:23   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Perhaps a trunk monkey sticker?
» Warning – Beware of Trunk Monkey » Blog Archive » Trunk Monkey Videos – Trunkmonkey Training Headquarters

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 19:18   #93

a hand held air horn does wonders for repelling unwanted intruders....
ellisdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 03:56   #94
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Moderator David M is a happily married research vessel captain who lives in the San Francisco Bay area . . . oh, yeah, well, uhm . . . never mind . . .
Yup, the truth is trickling out now.

It's okay David M, we still like you..
Old 17-05-2010, 06:01   #95

I think some of the most direct methods for repelling boarders are nullified by the baby on board. Loud alarms, mace, various weapons, even a tripwire could be dangerous to mom and baby if she forgets about it at some point.

Not sure what's left, maybe spray them with a garden hose, or visibly taking their picture and telling them you're keeping the picture for when the police come.

I'd have definitely called the police on the creepy camera voyeur guy though, and if they're too busy to show up, have gone to the station and spoken to one of the mucky mucks.

Talking to marina management is also a good idea. I talked to my apartment manager once about an idiot neighbor and the manager told me they were looking for just one more excuse not to renew that neighbors lease.
Puddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 06:49   #96

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hang a couple of dead seagulls from your rail

/Hampus
Old 17-05-2010, 07:43   #97

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I think shoooing is WAY TOO NICE. A good loud GET THE F*** OFF MY BOAT will work every time. Also, keep a camera and get a photo of anyone who tired to get on your boat.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 12:55   #98

Boat: S2-35C
I have not read the entire thread, but I thought I remembered once reading that under maritime law, the captian/crew of a vessle had much more lattitude in preventing illegal boarding and intrusion than on land?
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 13:39   #99

I like the way CSY man thinks. Loud airhorn in their face and remove walking garbage ASAP..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 15:51   #100

Boat: 1989 Hunter 30
Signs up!

Thanks for all the replys, I put these up after work Thursday night ...

CapnTony, We're at Emerald Point Marina, one of 8 sailboats in a 300+ slip marina, right in between Just For Fun (Watercraft Rentals) and Carlos n' Charlies (Restaurant and Night Club) . I'd love to hear of any other options on Travis that allow liveaboards and can accommodate a 12'x30' sailboat.

I've talked with the manager, Doug, and he completely understands that this is not OK, and has agreed to talk to Just For Fun about better 'policing' their clients, not tying gates open, parking boats next to gates, ect.. He said that our signs are no problem at all and is committed to resolve the problem. He also suggested an air horn.

Alicia does carry mace, and I've told her to USE it! (but she loses nerve in these situations) I like the air horn, but as with the mace, one would have to be extra cautious of the baby.

I'm also looking into an alarm system similar to what MarkJ posted.
RQF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 16:45   #101
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I hope that helps, a mom with a little one does NOT need to be dealing with some bozo crashin her cockpit when she comes home or goes out. No one needs that of course, but especially a mom with a child in tow. Totally unnerving...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 17:18   #102
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
RQF4 now that I see your pictures with the easy entry and understand that you are beside a boat rental place I can better understand that your problem was acute, since many might think yours was a charter vessel and want a look.

Your sign should stop the problem, but for the real idiots, better that it was actually placed on board by the stern.

Good luck
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 17:23   #103
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A small chain clipped between the pair of signs should be adequate to make the point to all but the terminally obtuse. Good luck.

TaoJones
Old 17-05-2010, 18:43   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just catching this thread and a few thoughts.

- It's really a shame people think they can just walk aboard but remember half of all people are below average intelligence.

- I think the signs are a good idea - I would personally remove the"this is my home" part - No need to advertise that all your worldly goods might be aboard. Just "No Trespassing" works.

- The chain between the signs is a good idea.

Also, just a minor counter thought. If the transom gate is open and you are close to a high traffic area I think it is somewhat inviting to step aboard. I would definitely close the transom door or chain across the transom. People are less likely to open a door, remove a chain or step over the lifelines.

Getting back to the house analogy, you wouldn't leave your front door open and unlocked all day and expect your stuff to be secure for long.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 19:38   #105

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Instead of "my home", how about "Not responsible for DOG BITES."

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote