Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2024, 08:50   #1

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26
Rudder bearing replacement

I’ve never had the pleasure of tackling this type of job before so how much of a PITA would it be to do this on a Pearson 34 ? Thx
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 10:25   #2

Re: Rudder bearing replacement

Actually I'm looking a possible purchase of this boat and there is some play in the rudder so that's the question: is this a big job (i.e.: # hours typically required?) or relatively straightforward? Again I have no experience with this task so I don't know what I don't know... Thx.
Old 13-05-2024, 01:32   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I installed my own rudder bearing but I couldn't buy one off the shelf so I had to import a suitable blank from the US. It wasn't the exact internal diameter so I had to hand sand internally until the shaft just fitted in. (This was done with the knowledge of the US supplier and the local expert)

I then fiber-glassed around the bearing then fiber-glassed it into the hull.

Mine looked like this but it was not a cutless bearing.

Have you seen this thread?

Rudder Bearings:Pearson 34-II
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/rudder-bearings-pearson-34-ii-52692.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 02:08   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

rudder bearings 1990 pearson 34-2

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...n-34-2.113579/

There's quite a few YouTube videos
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 07:56   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
I’ve never had the pleasure of tackling this type of job before so how much of a PITA would it be to do this on a Pearson 34 ? Thx
Rol,
It depends where the problem is: 1.) shaft housing, 2.) shaft bearing, 3.) steering quadrant issues affecting performance. It's an easy drop once the cable is off the quadrant. My advice: check quadrant first for integrity and tightness of cables and secondly, drop the rudder for inspection. While it's down check the shaft seal where the shaft enters the rudder. Good luck.
Rognvald
Old 18-05-2024, 09:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Rol,
It depends where the problem is: 1.) shaft housing, 2.) shaft bearing, 3.) steering quadrant issues affecting performance. It's an easy drop once the cable is off the quadrant. My advice: check quadrant first for integrity and tightness of cables and secondly, drop the rudder for inspection. While it's down check the shaft seal where the shaft enters the rudder. Good luck.
Rognvald
Took another look yesterday. The shaft looks tight but there's excess play where the pivot pin sits in the shoe. Looks like there should be a bushing but is absent. The hole is still round so I don't think it's wear...looks more like a missing bushing. But I agree the rudder should be dropped and the whole affair reassessed. Found a guy on YouTube who did a huge restoration on one of these boats. Lots of good info but I can't see if there's supposed to be a bushing....
Old 18-05-2024, 10:51   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Took another look yesterday. The shaft looks tight but there's excess play where the pivot pin sits in the shoe. Looks like there should be a bushing but is absent. The hole is still round so I don't think it's wear...looks more like a missing bushing. But I agree the rudder should be dropped and the whole affair reassessed. Found a guy on YouTube who did a huge restoration on one of these boats. Lots of good info but I can't see if there's supposed to be a bushing....
Send some pix, Rol if you drop the rudder. Good luck!
Rognvald
Old 18-05-2024, 11:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Send some pix, Rol if you drop the rudder. Good luck!
Rognvald
Not my boat…yet…LoL
But yes, will definitely record with pics if sale actually happens.

Tags
men, rudder