Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 09:53   #46

I have to admit, it is hard watching people toss money around like it's no big thing (and then ask for donations on their website as well, if I remember correctly?). In my little watery world, I have the most in common with people who love to sail and work on their boats, neither of which seem to be the case with the crew of bumfuzzle. In no way is this a personal judgement of them; I'm sure they're wonderful people. I just couldn't imagine having anything in common with them.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:05   #47
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have to admit, it is hard watching people toss money around like it's no big thing (and then ask for donations on their website as well, if I remember correctly?). In my little watery world, I have the most in common with people who love to sail and work on their boats, neither of which seem to be the case with the crew of bumfuzzle. In no way is this a personal judgement of them; I'm sure they're wonderful people. I just couldn't imagine having anything in common with them.
My Guess is we all have a lot more in common with each other than we realize!
Old 16-07-2010, 11:18   #48

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Bought sight unseen and no survey? Yikes... Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

We bought without survey, for some they're nessasary, I don't consider it the end all be all unless you have no idea what you're looking at or need a further negotiating tool.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:26   #49

Boat: PETERSON 44
Of course if your thinking about insurance then a survey is usually required. With more and more areas requiring at least liability insurance why not just get the survey . I'm no friend of this need for insurance but it is a reality today.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:43   #50

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Of course if your thinking about insurance then a survey is usually required. With more and more areas requiring at least liability insurance why not just get the survey . I'm no friend of this need for insurance but it is a reality today.
You do not need a survey to get liability insurance. At least I didn't.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:59   #51

Boat: PETERSON 44
Who would have thought it. I wouldn't insure anything without some idea of it's condition. I don't trust the insurance industry. I can just imagine a claim without some proof of the existing conditions.
Old 16-07-2010, 12:11   #52

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I do remember them asking about experience and training and since I had some maybe that helped. But liability only covers the other guy not the owner or the boat in question.
Old 16-07-2010, 18:23   #53

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Yep, no survey needed here either for 300k liability insurance. Just filled out a form and talked to a person on the phone for 5 minutes.
Old 16-07-2010, 18:40   #54

Boat: 43' Spindrift
Hey All,

Thanks for all the welcome notes. Pleasure to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Secondly I've googled Lock Crowthers design portfolio and it appears that he had 3 spindrift designs , the 37 , 40 and 45.
Actually the Spindrift 43 is a Ron Amy design. He designed this boat as well as the Young Sun 43 and the Vagabond 39.

Rebel Heart - I enjoyed looking through your website. You've done some beautiful work. The work you've hired out looks very nice too. Too bad we don't have the tools or skills to do every last thing on our own. I've spent hundreds of hours the past few years in all sorts of crazy places around the world keeping my boat and vehicles running. I lost track of how many engine drops I've done. However I also lost track of how many stainless welders I had to hire. Ali and I are really looking forward to moving aboard our boat and getting to work on it. It's all we talk about these days.

In my little world I have the most in common with people who love to travel and experience new things. Or perhaps, with people like you, who'll soon have a baby girl and live on a boat. Best of luck to you two.

sabray - I agree. I do have an annoying nonchalance for voyaging. Frankly in this day and age I don't find it to be nearly as complicated and dangerous as others make it out to be. With todays weather forecasting and e-mail onboard I just can't understand how people cruising the trade winds can find themselves in too much trouble. Seems to me about any boat should be able to handle 40 knots sustained for a couple of days. And really, there seems to be little excuse for finding yourself in weather worse than that. Again, I'm only talking about a trade wind sail around the world. That's how I feel anyway.

speakeasy - We'll see you down south. Looking forward to it.

Later on.

Pat
bumfuzzle.com
Old 16-07-2010, 19:50   #55

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My Guess is we all have a lot more in common with each other than we realize!
I think you are probably correct. At least I hope so.

What I really like about them is the adventuresome spirit, and the belief in their own ability to deal with problems as the arise. You can spend years and years getting the boat ready and all the stars aligned, and not be any better prepared than if you had just left and took your chances like they did.

I guess they appeal to the contrarian in me that doesn't like to do things by the book.
Old 17-07-2010, 08:23   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Bumfuzzles and welcome back to the forum. One of the wonderful things about sailing is the diverse group of people you meet.

I truly admire your go out and do it attitude. I could say it seems a bit more cavalier than I think completely prudent but the proof is in the results. In my sailing career I have run into too many sailors that spent years and years "preparing" and never left the dock. I remember a guy in Ft Lauderdale that spent 5-6 years gearing up to go sailing and when he finally ran out of gear to buy and install, he put the boat up for sale.

However, I do have to agree with Rebel Heart's comment. To ask for donations to finance your life of fun seems, how can I say this politely, audacious maybe even arrogant. I guess good for you if you can find people that will give you money so you don't have to earn it but think I will donate elsewhere.
Old 17-07-2010, 18:39   #57

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumfuzzle View Post
Hey All,

With todays weather forecasting and e-mail onboard I just can't understand how people cruising the trade winds can find themselves in too much trouble. Seems to me about any boat should be able to handle 40 knots sustained for a couple of days. And really, there seems to be little excuse for finding yourself in weather worse than that. Again, I'm only talking about a trade wind sail around the world. That's how I feel anyway.
bumfuzzle.com
One of the things I like about my catamaran is the ease of sailing downwind in the trade winds. I will be interested to see if you like down wind sailing as much in your monohull as you do in your multihull.

If I was sailing in my monohull downwind, I would tack down wind in such a way that it eliminated most of the rolling. It might make the trip longer, but it would make the motion more tolerable.

I look forward to hearing how you like sailing downwind in the trades in your monohull.
Old 17-07-2010, 20:53   #58

Hello!

Pat - I've just started following your blog and Rebel Heart's too and I wanted to let you know how motivating it is to read of your stories. My husband and I are about to (maybe?) quit our jobs as professors to raise our girls (4 and 6) aboard. We just started learning to sail and I do a fair amount of shrieking rather than sailing, to be honest. But, we're committed to doing what it takes to give it a shot over the next year or so.

So, thanks for joining the forum and for providing me with tales that help to untether me from our current comfy dock.
Old 18-07-2010, 00:26   #59
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumfuzzle View Post
Hi All,

I’ve hemmed and hawed over whether to join in on the discussions here....

During our first cruise I avoided taking part in this place. Frankly it seemed to me as if all I would do is spend my time defending myself, pointing out blatant lies, and trying to explain my sense of humor....
Pat
bumfuzzle.com
I must admit to never having read your blog before or followed your past CF roasting.

My first impression having read a bit is that you can be a great contributor to the cruising community because of that Jonathon Livingston ability to just move on with what matters in your life and ignore the chatter of a cynical flock of Seagulls....

What I can say is that thanks to some great Mods like Tao, this place has matured a bit so that technical support and advice if asked… is more in character today than mean spirited personal attacks, that have no place here.

Welcome back to CF Pat and if your lovely family choose to visit the Philippines, you already have a friend there.

nick
Old 18-07-2010, 00:43   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'DAy Pat and Ali,

You probably don't remember the arvo we spent telling lies to each other off of Airlie Beach a few years ago (honestly, I barely do!). But at the time I had no idea that you were the subject of such controversy and sometimes malicious comment. Who woulda guessed? Seemed like regular cruisers to us...

Anyhow, welcome back, and I too am interested in how you will take to "Real Boats" after the cat. Despite the shock expressed by True Believers, you are not the first people we've met who returned (or in your case, moved) from cats to monos. Do keep us informed as you form your new impressions. Ann and I considered a cat when we moved from Insatiable I, but in the long run decided to stay with a fast, light mono, and have never regretted it (yet).

So, good luck with your new adventures, and with raising your daughter on board. The cruising life will benefit her in so many ways (as you already know) and I reckon the benefits will spill over to you as well!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, lying Manly, Qld, Oz, nearly ready to head north