Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 16:16   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38
Send a message via MSN to cool2848
From Mystic, CT to South, Panama Canal, S. Pacific, Korea

Hello:

I am a 57 year old man who bought a 38ft Alajuela at the end of August, and refiting/having refit the boat to go back to Korea (South!^^).
My Sabbatical from my teaching job in Seoul last until August of 2011. Two Korean crews are coming to join me in a few days.

I decided to take coastal sailing options including Norfolk to Moorehead ICW down to Florida since we are not used to the new boat and the geography of the East coast of US.

Then I would like to sail to Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, and possibly Columbia before going to Panama Canal (was just trying to include the ones on the way for ease).

My question #1 is: Is sailing to Guatemala and Mexico before going to Panama Canal be difficult?

Q #2 is: Is catajena, Columbia a dangerous place to haul up the boat for a month or two to travel South America before crossing Panama Canal or Panama would be a better place for that for safety and monetary reasons?

Q #3 is: I bought the boat on Aug. 31st and would not leave the US coast by the end of Nov. Then who should I go to or call USCG or INS for extension of one month to the usual three months periods to stay after buying a boat that I heard?

I would be happy to hear any advice about the above three and others that might be relavant.
Thank you in advance.

Y.Lee
s/v Cascade
cool2848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:21   #2

I just read a very helpful thread on Cartagena, Columbia.
So, Q #2 is answered more or less.
Thanks.

y.lee
Old 27-10-2010, 00:35   #3

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Just did a similar trip from Mystic, CT to Panama (then to Seattle). Our route beginning in early November took us from Mystic direct to Norfolk, VA then in and out of the ICW as weather permitted to go outside. Once in Florida we ran down the Keys to and arrived in Key West for Christmas after a lengthy stop in Miami to get our USCG Masters. From Key West we sailed to the Dry Tortugas and then crossed to Isla Mujeres, Mexico a good port of entry to Mexico. From there we took our time and spent over a year between Belize and Caragena back and forth then through the Panama Canal in March 2010. More details from our trip can be found on our blog via our website. Many seasoned world cruisers prefer the realtive remoteness of the Western Caribbean vs Eastern Caribbean. The route via the Western Caribbean would be my recomendation as it involves shorter passages than the route via Jamaica. A several month stop in Cuba would be worthwhile for the interested, especially the southern coast, however Bush was still in office when we passed Cuba in 2008 and Bush policy scared us out of stopping. I think things have changed and many US flag boats are enjoying the unspoiled charms of Cuba.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:35   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic42 View Post
Just did a similar trip from Mystic, CT to Panama (then to Seattle). Our route beginning in early November took us from Mystic direct to Norfolk, VA then in and out of the ICW as weather permitted to go outside. Once in Florida we ran down the Keys to and arrived in Key West for Christmas after a lengthy stop in Miami to get our USCG Masters. From Key West we sailed to the Dry Tortugas and then crossed to Isla Mujeres, Mexico a good port of entry to Mexico. From there we took our time and spent over a year between Belize and Caragena back and forth then through the Panama Canal in March 2010. More details from our trip can be found on our blog via our website. Many seasoned world cruisers prefer the realtive remoteness of the Western Caribbean vs Eastern Caribbean. The route via the Western Caribbean would be my recomendation as it involves shorter passages than the route via Jamaica. A several month stop in Cuba would be worthwhile for the interested, especially the southern coast, however Bush was still in office when we passed Cuba in 2008 and Bush policy scared us out of stopping. I think things have changed and many US flag boats are enjoying the unspoiled charms of Cuba.
Hi, David:

Thank you very much for the info and recommendations!

We are trying to leave Mystic in the 2nd week of Nov.
Trying stop over in NYC, Cape May and then Norfolk because we are not still familiar with the boat and of course with Eastern coastal areas of US.

Sounds like a good plan that you did: dropping jamaica and go directly to Belize and Mexico.

Even though I do not have that much time, I think your track sound easier and more enjoyable.
I would be following up your writing as well.

Thank you very much.

Y.Lee
s/v Cascade
Old 28-10-2010, 08:00   #5

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
My question #1 is: Is sailing to Guatemala and Mexico before going to Panama Canal be difficult?
> Florida to Mexico to Guatemala should be easy. (subject to weather)
> Coming out of Guatemala you will most likely experiance 450 miles of windward travel before being able to ease sheets for sailing to Panama.

Q #2 is: Is catajena, Columbia a dangerous place to haul up the boat for a month or two to travel South America before crossing Panama Canal or Panama would be a better place for that for safety and monetary reasons?
> Columbia is a fine place to Haul-out.

Q #3 is: I bought the boat on Aug. 31st and would not leave the US coast by the end of Nov. Then who should I go to or call USCG or INS for extension of one month to the usual three months periods to stay after buying a boat that I heard?
> I don't have that information.

Question: How high is your mast and how far up the river in Seoul can you get with a 52' mast height?

I have sailed Key West to Hiroshima and may be able to help with other questions.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:29   #6

Thanks and How far close to Seoul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
> Florida to Mexico to Guatemala should be easy. (subject to weather)
> Coming out of Guatemala you will most likely experiance 450 miles of windward travel before being able to ease sheets for sailing to Panama.

> Columbia is a fine place to Haul-out.

> I don't have that information.

Question: How high is your mast and how far up the river in Seoul can you get with a 52' mast height?

I have sailed Key West to Hiroshima and may be able to help with other questions.

Dear Sanssouci:

Thanks very much for clearing me of the doubts that I did not express well in my question #1.
Coming out of Guatemala part where I have to sail against the wind.
I guess I expected it since going to Mexico and Gueatemala would be easy, there has to be some price to pay sometime.^^
You cleared that point to me, thanks.

I just found out that it is better to register in US if not in Korea.
so, I will do that before I leave.
That solves the #3 Q.

Now, you question.
Even though Seoul could be reached thru the Han river that flow across the city and exits to Yellow sea between China and Korea.
The final exit part of the river is now a border between North and South Korea, and you cannot sail there!
And the river has under neath the surface dam built so that North Korean spies cannot infiltrate under water to the capital city any more.^^
Of course so the boat cannot sail into Seoul now.
Now they are constructing a canal between Seoul and Incheon (port city in Yeelow sea), but I do not have much details.

I used to put my boat in Busan, the biggest port city in Korea in southern coast.
But, it requires me to spend 3hr train plus some for bus/taxi in between.
I think I will put my boat in a small yachting cummunity close to Incheon, about an hour drive from Seoul, where I will be buying a marina (small) berth or anchor mooring when I go back.

I will ask further questions as my plans mature.
So far, I am trying to concentrate to the details upto Panam canal rathern than anything farther.

thanks again!

y.lee

Tags
south pacific