Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28   #1

What if My Boat Has No . . .

serial...no registration...no hull numbers?
in fact the only thing that says it belongs to me is the reciep from the marina that sold it to me.

I do not wish to register the boat...but I am willing to invest on a brass plate that says she belongs to me.

The boat is a 1964
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01   #2

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
In the USA, a 1964 boat would be old enough not to have a Hull Identification Number (some manufacturers took a few years after the Boat Safety Act of 1971 to standardize boat hull numbering) but there's a chance that it might have some sort of manufacturer's number. If the manufacturer is still in business, or if there is an owners' association, you might be able to get some help in learning more about the boat. Boats built in the USA subsequent to the Act might have had their hull number painted over or a hull number plaque removed. If a number has only been painted over, someone who knows where to look might be able to help you find it via some gentle sanding.

Depending upon your jurisdiction, you may be required by law to either register or document your boat. Down here in the Etats-U's, we have some confusion between states which have different thresholds for which (smaller) boats must be registered, and we have some confusion between states which issue titles for boats, and those that don't.

It often makes sense to register a boat in a small waterfront community that has many boats, so that the registration clerks are more familiar with unusual registration situations. There may be special procedures for registering home-built boats, salvaged boats, boats from non-title jurisdictions, abandoned or repossessed boats seized by marinas or banks, etc. -- which some registration clerks may not know. So, it can help if you find out the answer before you go to register the boat.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
serial...no registration...no hull numbers?
in fact the only thing that says it belongs to me is the reciep from the marina that sold it to me.

I do not wish to register the boat...but I am willing to invest on a brass plate that says she belongs to me.

The boat is a 1964
If you were in California (and I'd imagine any state), if it exceeds some really basic standards the option to register is not yours to exercise. I don't mean to be harsh about that, but ships can be used to haul a lot of things around (including guns, drugs, and stowaways). There are boats that break free from their moorings, smashing like a bowling ball into other boats and causing massive damage. If it wasn't for registration a lot of things would be very hard for the police to investigate and resolve.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21   #4

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Presumably Transport Canada has the answer.

Pat's Boating in Canada: Boat Licensing & Registration says

Who needs it?
All pleasure craft powered by an engine 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more must be licensed unless the boat has a vessel registration. A licence is sometimes required by foreign countries (i.e. towed dinghies in U.S. locks). Licensing is legally different from registration and is free. A licensed boat must be marked on both sides of the bow with contrasting "licence numbers" in block characters at least 7.5 cm (3") high. There are no regulations about the stern, but it's normal to paint a name and city.

What choices do I have if my boat is already licensed?

Keep your old number
Request a new one to get into the new government license database
Enter old license number into the new system
Where do I get a licence?
Service Canada, on behalf of Transport Canada, issues vessel licences at 320 locations across the country, where you may license new vessels or transfer licenced vessel ownerships at no charge. It should take about 10 minutes to process an application and issue a licence. You have 90 days to transfer the licence of a used boat. Starting Nov. 1, 2010, license application kits will be available online (Office of Boating Safety) or by phone, and you must mail these documents to the Pleasure Craft Processing Centre:

Completed application form
Proof of vessel ownership
Signed copy of valid government-issued ID
Explain boat numbering
New boat licence numbers begin with provincial digraphs (MB, ON, NB) followed by digits. Licences no longer indicates a 'port' location. If a boat has a number-letter combination on the boat's bow such as 32E9876 (E is Ontario, 32 is Ottawa), it was licensed before 2007. If the boat has a provincial digraph followed by digits (BC12345 is British Columbia), the licence was issued by Service Canada on behalf of Transport Canada. A license number that begins with "C" (e.g., C00000BC) is a Small Commercial Vessel licensed prior to 2007 - these are now registered in the Small Vessel Registry of Transport Canada. It is highly recommended that pre-2007 licence owners apply for a new number at no charge, which will be entered into the new licence data system.

What is the difference between Canadian & U.S. Terminology
Many people confuse Canadian with American terms: our Canadian licensing is similar to the U.S. boat registration. Canadian registration is similar to U.S. documentation, and usually reserved for commercial vessels and ships.

Canadian spelling is different.
Canadian spelling changes depending on the usage of the word: "a boat licence" is spelled with a "c" when used as a noun, but is spelled with an "s" when used as a verb, such as "to license a boat" or "licensing a boat".
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24   #5

Canada also has an operator licensing requirement, separate from boat licensing. Mainly, operators have to pay for a quickie basic safety class that is offered by various commercial vendors.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:54   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I once owned a 1964 Hull. To register it, (required). I engraved a random number in the hull that included the registration number, and letters from my name and drivers license. I put this number on the application and the state was good with it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 13:01   #7

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
If the boat is in Montreal, rgscpat pretty much nailed it.You do have to register the transfer, at a Service Canada place. Doesn't take long and they seem to know what they're doing. When I bought Connemara, I just picked one at random Closest to the house) and they had no issues.

Be advised they do talk to the provinces and you may get a note from Quebec asking for whatever sales tax is due.

The licence number, which should be on the bow already, doesn't change.

OTOH, if the boat hasn't been licensed in Canada (no numbers) you need to get a brand-new licence.

And you undoubtedly already know about the PCOC.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 13:19   #8

I dont whant the numbers on my boat...therfor I chose to go enginless...thats for licensing.

Regarding registration...the boat was previously registrated in ontario...its been sold to a new owner who changed the boats name...and now the boat is mine and I will change its name again...but I will not register my boat...guess I can go to the port of registration just to change my boats ownership??? however I dont belive its a requierment.

1964 vintage boats arent subject to many regulations...unless I am mistaking I am not obligated to either license or register this ship.
Old 11-11-2010, 13:30   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
I am not obligated to either license or register this ship.

How do you know you own it? A reciept may not get you far.

So if I came and took the boat how could you come and get it back?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 13:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How do you know you own it? A reciept may not get you far.

So if I came and took the boat how could you come and get it back?
Mark I own the boat under the law of GOOD FAITH
eventho Iv chosen to live my life differently then when I was married...choosing a much less materialist and more modest avenue sure as hell d'ont mean I will not fight for my belongings...especialy if this belonging is also my house

For the time being iv paid enough to my governement...hes not getting anything els from me..nothing if I can help it..
cheers
Old 11-11-2010, 13:50   #11

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
if you decide to try to beat the system and live as a Freeman, get used to cruising a very limited area. As in, within the borders of the province of Quebec. Also be prepared to be boarded on a regular basis, as you will surely be an item of official curiosity, even if you truly believe you are on the right side of the law.
But hey, if you figure that FREE registration is that big a deal, then make sure you are prepared to deal with the real world fall-out.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:05   #12

D'ont ask me why...but I am surunded buy peapoles with sharp claws and long teeths...my ex has sybertooth gens.
she can have it all..but the boat
Old 11-11-2010, 14:11   #13

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
If you acquired the boat after she became an ex- she has no claim on it.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you acquired the boat after she became an ex- she has no claim on it.
Maybe?...but my interest is to know if I can still travel without registrations?
I do have proufe of ownership and my passport is in order
Old 11-11-2010, 14:32   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Maybe?...but my interest is to know if I can still travel without registrations?
I do have proufe of ownership and my passport is in order
Yes you can go whereever you like. But as soon as you land in a foreign country you will have 'your' boat confiscated and you will be put in jail untill you get deported at your own cost.

You can be as slippery as you like, but you will not have a boat nor your freedom.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote