Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 07:19   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Which bottom paint for San Francisco Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelllee View Post
I hear the EPA is going to block copper based paint soon, so you may need to do the job soon before that happens.
While there is pressure at the state & regional levels to reduce copper in some of California's waterways, nothing is going to happen in a hurry, if indeed anything happens at all. Even in Washington, where legislation passed several years ago, restricting copper in anti fouling paints, boat owners have the better part of a decade before the law is enforced. And FYI, the USEPA is not involved in banning metals used in anti fouling paints. It only sets the acceptable levels of metals in the water column.

Don't believe most of the uninformed bullsh*t you hear on the docks.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 06:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No offense, but the performance of any anti fouling paint cannot be accurately judged simply by looking at or feeling the waterline. That said, what you describe seems normal.

I do not service Marin County, but if you need referrals, I can give you some.
Do you have a dock where I can bring my boat for bottom cleaning?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 15:38   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have used the Micron 66. I applied the paint in Oregon 2007. Sailed the boat to SF (Marina Village) then to San Diego. Kept her there till Oct 2009. Then to La Paz, Mexico. From there I brought her back to SF and finally did the bottom in 2013. I dove the bottom occasionally. I sailed the boat hard when I sailed her but it was usually a month or two between sails. Never had any hard growth. I applied three coats of Micron 66 in 2013 and have dove the bottom 3 times. There is not any hard growth on the bottom but there is on the prop. I also apply very thick coats of paint with extra coats for the leading and trailing edges and the waterline. I have a goal of hauling every two years but . . . . well it kept on stretching. Bottom has no hard growth so I don't plan on hauling this year. Boat is in Brickyard Cove now BTW

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 11:46   #34

Buying 45ft Columbia in December, any recommendations on where to have it done looking for mix of best price and quality. I’m in Jacksonville FL know nothing about Bay Area services. Boat is in Oyster Point marina
BillsBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 11:54   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsBrian View Post
Buying 45ft Columbia in December, any recommendations on where to have it done looking for mix of best price and quality. I’m in Jacksonville FL know nothing about Bay Area services. Boat is in Oyster Point marina
Berkeley Marine Center is probably your best best with those criteria:

https://berkeleymarine.com/
Old 15-10-2021, 18:23   #36

Quote:
... And FYI, the USEPA is not involved in banning metals used in anti fouling paints. It only sets the acceptable levels of metals in the water column.
Actually, Mat, while you are almost always right, (or at least I almost always agree with you, which is close to the same thing) in this narrow case you are wrong.

All bottom paints designed to control growth are, by law, pesticides. And as pesticides they most certainly are fully regulated by the USEPA and must be registered and approved by the USEPA. If the USEPA felt they had good enough reason they most certainly COULD cancel the registrations of copper based bottom paints, effectively making them illegal in the USA.

I am NOT saying this is about to happen--at all. But it COULD!

You know boat bottoms, but I was in the pesticide business for 25 years...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 18:28   #37

Quote:
Berkeley Marine Center is probably your best best with those criteria:

https://berkeleymarine.com/
^^^^^
Like he said.

Berkeley has great people, and a small, family run vibe. If you are nice to them, the crew will be delightful to work with.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 19:48   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Actually, Mat, while you are almost always right, (or at least I almost always agree with you, which is close to the same thing) in this narrow case you are wrong.

All bottom paints designed to control growth are, by law, pesticides. And as pesticides they most certainly are fully regulated by the USEPA and must be registered and approved by the USEPA. If the USEPA felt they had good enough reason they most certainly COULD cancel the registrations of copper based bottom paints, effectively making them illegal in the USA.

I am NOT saying this is about to happen--at all. But it COULD!

You know boat bottoms, but I was in the pesticide business for 25 years...
Point taken. But if I remember correctly, the post to which I was replying indicated that the EPA was going to ban copper, which was not the case then nor is it the case now (but you're right, they could if they so chose.) And I appreciate your clarifying the situation.

Tags
bottom paint, paint, san francisco