Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 09:44   #16

Re: Which bottom paint for San Francisco Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I have been cleaning boat bottoms for over twenty years here in the Bay Area and there are only two anti fouling paint products I ever recommend- Pettit Trinidad (hard) and Interlux Micron 66 (hybrid ablative.) Any other paint runs a distant second (at best) by comparison, IMHO.
If your interested in judging the performance of ABC3 after 3 months in in S.F. Bay water since haulout and new application, send me a P.M.. My judgement from what I can see without diving is there's an accumulation of scum. No grass growing at the waterline and what can be reached from my kayak comes off easily by rubbing with hand.

Cost from Go2Marine $137/gallon

Oh, forgot to say I'll want the bottom cleaned. Location in Sausalito on a port mooring.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 09:58   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If your interested in judging the performance of ABC3 after 3 months in in S.F. Bay water since haulout and new application, send me a P.M.. My judgement from what I can see without diving is there's an accumulation of scum. No grass growing at the waterline and what can be reached from my kayak comes off easily by rubbing with hand.
No offense, but the performance of any anti fouling paint cannot be accurately judged simply by looking at or feeling the waterline. That said, what you describe seems normal.

Quote:
Oh, forgot to say I'll want the bottom cleaned. Location in Sausalito on a port mooring.
I do not service Marin County, but if you need referrals, I can give you some.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 10:01   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
fstbttms: I have ablative or flaking off with growth on my boat now. Which is the type you would recommend. I want the longest lasting paint as the first 21 years of the boats life was spent on Lake Michigan and I painted it every year except for the 3 years I bubbled it during the winter. The paint on it now is the soft type that flakes off with growth. I am now in Key West and it's time to paint it again. I'm assuming it's going to be either Pettit Ultima SR or Pettit Trinidad SR. What do you recommend for the longest lasting paint.
Ultima SR is an ablative paint. Trinidad SR is a hard paint. A hard paint will typically give longer life than an ablative and Trinidad is the best of the hard paints, IMHO.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:05   #19

Quote:

Cost from Go2Marine $137/gallon

The performance of the paint for the first 3 months is a poor guide to its performance after say, 2 years.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:07   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Look here :

With Irgarol, $290/gallon. Without, $450!
I don't believe that any reformulated paints are available yet (I could be wrong about this however) and your link is to the Jamestown Distributors Trinidad SR page, which leads me to believe that the price listed for Trinidad Red (without Irgarol) is a typo. Why would the reformulated paint only be available in red? Why does nobody else have this paint at $450?

It doesn't make sense and therefore I do not believe any "reformulation" of Trinidad is going to add hundreds of dollars per gallon to the price.
Old 25-03-2015, 10:09   #21

If that's right it would be good news. I did try to ask the makers of Pettit, but their online "contact us" form is broken.
Old 25-03-2015, 11:14   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
If true, this would make your boat the one-in-twenty-thousand exception.

Here is a pic of a 2-month old bottom in the Richmond Yacht Club:

Here is a 3-month old bottom in Grand Marina in Alameda:

Both these bottoms are wearing high quality, high-copper anti fouling paints and the growth depicted is typical for the time periods involved.
Any thoughts to how often those boats actually moved. Most boats I see, just sit and don't move for many months at a time.. I know my boats bottom has some soft growth on it now.

Most of it fluffs off when going sailing. I read Beth and Evans blog years ago, and they said they never had the bottom cleaned as the soft growth fell off while underway. I tried that, and what do you know it mostly does.

Mind you, I don't care if the bottom is completely clean. I'm so not worried about a 1/4 or 1/2 knot speed loss. But I was moving 5 to 7 knots just yesterday and will be moving again tomorrow and the next day too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The performance of the paint for the first 3 months is a poor guide to its performance after say, 2 years.
Well, fstbttms pics are of a 2 month old application. And, since it's a racing boat can we assume it's been used fairly frequently?

You're right in judging longevity and effectiveness of a bottom paint over the long run, but it's also telling to see how much comparative accumulation (and type) over several months occurs between different paints.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:25   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Any thoughts to how often those boats actually moved. Most boats I see, just sit and don't move for many months at a time.. I know my boats bottom has some soft growth on it now.

Most of it fluffs off when going sailing. I read Beth and Evans blog years ago, and they said they never had the bottom cleaned as the soft growth fell off while underway. I tried that, and what do you know it mostly does.

Mind you, I don't care if the bottom is completely clean. I'm so not worried about a 1/4 or 1/2 knot speed loss. But I was moving 5 to 7 knots just yesterday and will be moving again tomorrow and the next day too.

I cannot say whether the boats had moved or not prior to these pix being taken. What I can say is that I regularly service over 500 sailboats here in the Bay Area and these pix show what I typically find on boats with new, or nearly new) anti fouling paint. So when you say you spent two years uncleaned in Richmond and had nothing growing on the bottom, I'm skeptical.
Old 25-03-2015, 11:25   #25

fstbttms: Thanks for the information on paint.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:53   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Fstbtms, what is the difference in performance between Petit Trinidad and Trinidad SR and why the cost difference?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:58   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Fstbtms, what is the difference in performance between Petit Trinidad and Trinidad SR and why the cost difference?
Honestly, I never noticed a difference in performance between Trinidad and Trinidad SR. I have nothing for you regarding price.
Old 25-03-2015, 13:43   #28

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Honestly, I never noticed a difference in performance between Trinidad and Trinidad SR. I have nothing for you regarding price.

Thanks for your experience.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 14:30   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

While I was in Svendsens in Alameda...they still had quarts of Trinidad in red with 75% copper as opposed to the newer reduced copper. I had 4 quarts stored on the boat for my next bottom job in Mexico and wanted 7 quarts to put 2 thin coats on. probably the last time I'll see 75%
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 20:14   #30

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37'

I agree with the guy suggesting Pettit Trinidad. It’s expensive, but I’ve gotten three years out of it, and the bottom still looked pretty good. It’s tough and it lasts. But, I hear the EPA is going to block copper based paint soon, so you may need to do the job soon before that happens.
Howelllee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint, san francisco