Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 20:27   #1

Unconventional DIY work from the previous owner: Insulation

Hey everyone, I have to be honest this might become a bit of a series of posts

I recently purchased my second boat, it was a kit boat so the Interior is a bit unconventional. The pervious owner either had the best of the best locally do their boat work, or they DIY'd it. Poorly. Most of thier DIY stuff has left me scratching my head wondering do it live with this DIY work or tear it out, make a plan and redo it.

Todays episode is insulation. I'll start by saying I have never insulated a boat and it's nice to have in the PWN. The previous owners, use many types of insulation in there DIY'ing insulating adventures. They decided to glue pink foam board to the under side of the deck in the salon, then painted it and used some sort of spackle, the result is well ugly(pictured). On the other side they hid the ugly with sticky back cork tile. The result is ... So ugly. My original idea was to cover it with a wood panel but then I got to thinking how do I check/see if my deck hardware is leaking?

When insulating do you normally make sure hardware is still accessible from the underside?

They also spray foamed that **** out of this thing... I cant inspect the back side of the stanchions hardware either... is that an issue?

This is one of those decisions that if are start tearing it out I'm in for a huge amount of work.

Any advice, reading material or funny stories are welcome. I will post more weird DIY **** from the boat as I start thinking of how to address them. My personal fav is where they ruined and blocked the original fridge to install a stove top, but that's for another day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	246859  
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 22:59   #2

Unconventional DIY work from the previous owner: Insulation

I am no expert but I would leave it and cover with some nice wood work. I did that on a previous boat I owned and it looked very nice in the end. It was harder to do than you can imagine so it was nice to able to do it little by little and still being out sailing
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 03:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Unconventional DIY work from the previous owner: Insulation

We’ve had several applicable discussions, that might help:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-210578.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ers-46824.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...s-37698-3.html
etc.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/galler...r&imageuser=79