Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48   #31

Boat: Stevens Custom 50
Re: Westerbeke again?

Adding another 2 cents to what I already posted: The following is a short list of non-proprietary parts that you can find on eBay, at an auto-parts store or from specialty manufacturer -- all less expensive than Westerbeke:

Alternator(s), starter (ours is made for a GM truck), glow plugs, injectors, mounting feet, transmission parts (need to be from the transmission maker, not Westerbeke), oil and electric sensors and switches, solenoid switches, water pump">raw water pump, all hoses and wires, and start battery.

Things you need to get from Westerbeke or from the original manufacturer, or have custom-made (sometimes a good, inexpensive alternative, even in the US) include exhaust risers and mixing elbow, heat exchanger, exhaust manifold, and key internal parts such as bearings and seals.

A real problem for us has been the evolution of auto parts stores, especially in the US. It used to be that the staff could take your old part, walk into the warehouse area and come back with the exact match. Nowadays, they ask what kind of car it came from and look it up on the computer. If they don't have that part, they simply say "no", even though they may have the identical part but for a different make or model car. They don't even keep all versions of the same part (say, fresh-water pumps) together so they can compare them to your part! So you're not nearly as likely to find what you need, especially if the engine is old. On the other hand, the internet can turn up some good replacements -- just be prepared to send parts back (or eat the cost) when you discover they're not exactly the same as the parts you want to replace!

People complain a lot about how much time they spend repairing their boats' engines, but there's another way to look at it. Most repairs require a combination of logic, research and detection (starting with finding out who made your "Westerbeke" motor). Think of it as like reading a good detective novel, with dirty grease added. Solving a critical problem, especially in far-off places were there is no overnight delivery, gives you a sense of accomplishment not available to the owner who simply takes his boat to a yard and pays hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for the repair, using "original" parts.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 15:27   #32

Boat: Beneteau 393

I've enjoyed the conversation.

I have a 2003 Beneteau 393 manufactured in August 2002 with a Westerbeke 44A Serial # 54760 E206

How do I find out who make my diesel?
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 19:18   #33

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Do not tell them it is for a Westerbeke. Mits does not sell their parts to the public if it is for a Westerbeke. Proprietary. Use the Mits designation number.
Understood. Its not a good idea to do it, and you are right, if you say you have a Westerbeke and.... they will direct you to the Westerbeke dealer right away. I pretend I have a tractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
I've enjoyed the conversation.

I have a 2003 Beneteau 393 manufactured in August 2002 with a Westerbeke 44A Serial # 54760 E206

How do I find out who make my diesel?
Mark, this is easy. Your diesel was made by Westerbeke.

Is this a Westerbeke serial number? They are different from Mitsu.
The 44A has a Mitsubishi block.
If you need the Mitsu model and serial number, you have to look - its engraved on the block close to the governor, left side of the engine.
Check this link - post #6 from the "other" forum.

Westerbeke Parts - SailNet Community
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 18:12   #34

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

I have a 1984 Cal 35 Mk II, with the original Universal (now Westerbeke) 5432 Diesel (32hp). I rebuilt it.

Along the way, I picked up all the manuals for Westerbeke Universal, as well as Kubota manuals - since it is a marinized Kubota tractor engine.

Westerbeke sells parts for at least 3x retail. I get Kubota parts at a discount off normal Kubota retail prices, by googling the Kubota part numbers online...

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:25   #35

Boat: CS 40

We have a Westerbeke 44a that has provided reliable service for the last 1000 hrs. With routine maintenance, other then a couple of faulty oil pressure switches and chafing on the hoses, we've had no issues. It is based on an Mitsubishi S4L block and if you're lucky a Mitsubishi dealer will sell you parts for about half what you would pay from Westerbeke.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke