Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 11:01   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Westerbeke again??

is a lot easier to obtain perkins and westerfreke parts in mexico than yannie or volvo.
your choice.
rejecting a boat merely for the marinizer of the engine is certainly a novel and unique manner of shopping....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:58   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Westerbeke again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Leaking again!!! I recall all the trouble you had sourcing a new rear main seal. Discouraging to hear it's leaking again. Do you think the shaft is scored? I can't remember if you used a new seal with a press on sleeve for the shaft or if the new seal rides on the shaft itself. If the later, the next time you're in there, you may want to replace the seal with the one with the sleeve for the shaft. Did you measure shaft run-out? Could also be the problem.

To the OP, I would certainly not rule out a WB engine. Parts are expensive from WB, but a little research will find the PN of the original manufacturer's parts, which will be more reasonable. The engines themselves are industrial and seem overbuilt. They run and run.
I had the mechanic that replaced the seal for me check the shaft for scoring and it was not. I have since talked to several mechanics with sterling reputations (they are out there but you have to fid them ) and they say the problem is due to the seal technology being ancient. They have explained to me that the new seal technology is much less likely to leak.

Oh well, we are just dealing with the oil leak.

The lesson is this... just because an engine is leaking oil doesn't mean its a bad engine. All engines will at some point, develop an oil leak.

I think for a new buyer its more important to pay attention to rust and the general maintenance of an engine. The hours on the engine and if its hard to start.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Westerbeke again?

We have heard this debate many times. Westerbeke marinized many engines by painting them red, adding some high quality heat exchanger, exhaust manifolds and expansion tanks, plus charging $$$$$$.

Most engine internal parts are available from the engine builder, eg. water pump for Wester genset $200, from engine builder $60. You just got to figure out whose engine they used.

Many Yanmars are good engines, as a matter of fact I have a TS series driving my 5KW genset on my Cal 46 with over 6,000 hours, still running perfectly. I do proper maintenance. You could not give me one of the newer high RPM "screamers", lucky to get 1,500 hours. Plus buying parts for a Yanmar is a PITA.

More details on request with personal e mail. "Green Grief" threatened to sue me a few years back for what I posted about their junk.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36   #19
rlg

FWIW regarding oil leaking on westerbekes, my w46 leaked, not too much but enough to want it to be fixed. need to keep a pad in the bilge. When speaking to an experienced westerbeke mechanic, he suggested it would still leak with new seal but that if I dont top off the oil, meaning keep the level above minimum line on dipstick but not more than 1/2 way to fill line. Leak has slowed noticeably, rarely need topping off.
6000 plus hrs, runs perfectly
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:05   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

9 times out of 10, if a W46 leaks oil after a rebuild, it is because the 2 cork sump gaskets have been stuck to the pan first, and the little pieces of cork which overhang the ends of the pan, have been cut off. The sump will then leak. The cork extensions are there to be tucked up into the oil seal retainer, when the 2 pieces are stuck to the engine block surface first. This info, iirc, is in the service manual. I buy my W46 parts from a Case construction equipment dealer. Engine is in their skidloaders and forklifts, -- or, was.
Old 05-02-2016, 20:38   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
9 times out of 10, if a W46 leaks oil after a rebuild, it is because the 2 cork sump gaskets have been stuck to the pan first, and the little pieces of cork which overhang the ends of the pan, have been cut off. The sump will then leak. The cork extensions are there to be tucked up into the oil seal retainer, when the 2 pieces are stuck to the engine block surface first. This info, iirc, is in the service manual. I buy my W46 parts from a Case construction equipment dealer. Engine is in their skidloaders and forklifts, -- or, was.
Yes exactly. I used a 3bond4 that is very forgiving to the pan gasket. My W46 is a Mitsubishi 4DQ5. I bought all parts needed from a Mitsubishi Industrial Distributor. The parts were less than 1/2 the price of Westergouge.
My W46 does not leak.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:29   #22
rlg

Thanks Blue Stocking and celestial sailor, that is good info.
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:49   #23

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
... I bought all parts needed from a Mitsubishi Industrial Distributor. The parts were less than 1/2 the price of Westergouge.
My W46 does not leak.
I have identified my WB Mitsu engine as per block engravings, and have the Mitsubishi manual, but I can not find where I can buy the parts, I did located some places in Europe. I have a WB 30B3.
Do you mind sharing the name of the Industrial Distributor, and do they sell retail?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:42   #24

COLLICUTT ENERGY SERVICES, INC
940 Riverside Parkway
Suite 80
West Sacramento, CA 95605
Phone: (916) 3711667
Fax: (916) 3717229

Distributor Locator
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-02-2016, 19:56   #25

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
COLLICUTT ENERGY SERVICES, INC
940 Riverside Parkway
Suite 80
West Sacramento, CA 95605
Phone: (916) 3711667
Fax: (916) 3717229

Distributor Locator
I'll get in touch with them. Thank you!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:03   #26

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

For what it's worth, we have a Westerbeke W70 motor that's extremely durable. It's built on a Mazda/Mitsubishi small-truck motor. It's true that Westerbeke parts are expensive (though not nearly as expensive as, say, Volvo parts) but in my opinion that's not a great reason for deciding what boat to buy. For one thing, you really don't buy motor parts all that often, and the cost of parts is generally not nearly as big as the cost of hiring mechanics. Replacing a diesel engine costs over $10000, even for a small one, whereas parts cost in the hundreds of dollars..

I agree with other contributors on this thread that it pays to find out what company made the original motor, which Westerbeke marinized. Also, one should distinguish between parts that are specific to your motor and parts that merely have to fit. A great example was already cited -- the salt-water pump. On most motors, that's simply a pump, driven by a belt. As long as the replacement pump fits the bracket, lines up with the belt and and has the right diameter connections for your hoses, it doesn't matter who made the pump. In 20 years, we've had three different brands of pumps, all of which worked great (until, of course, they didn't).
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I'll get in touch with them. Thank you!
Do not tell them it is for a Westerbeke. Mits does not sell their parts to the public if it is for a Westerbeke. Proprietary. Use the Mits designation number.
Old 06-02-2016, 23:06   #28

Facebook group: Perkins 4.107 & 4.108 Parts & Info.

Everything you need to know as well as parts for sale.
svJuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:44   #29
med

The weak part of any marine engine is the quality of the marinisation. And those are the bits which are expensive.

In the case of Yanmar, the heat exchangers and starter motors (because they are very low down and get wet) on the 4JH2 series are the weak things.

The heat exchangers only last about 20 years and are an expensive item.

The starter motors suffer because of their location - but there are many reasonably priced alternatives from Delco and others (even Bosch is cheaper than the Yanmar part).

As some one mentioned above, try changing the impeller on a 4JH2. The engine room on my boat is very tight (as on most sail boats). I have to get a mechanic to do that. All other regular maintenance is very straight forward.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32   #30

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
The engine room on my boat is very tight (as on most sail boats). I have to get a mechanic to do that. All other regular maintenance is very straight forward.
That's IMHO 10* more important to have adequate working space around the engine than whateverbrand or DIY is the engine and it' s marine parts. Bet most maintenance is neglected due lack of space..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke