Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 08:49   #1
cruiser

Diesel Engine Oil Help

Our boat has a Yanmar 100hp turbo diesel; I do as much of the maintenance as possible. Oil changes on this model are very easy and the manual calls for a diesel grade 15w 40 engine oil. Here's the question: Which oil to choose here in Italy? They range in price from VS Max 15w 40 rated for all cars at 18.9 euros for 4 liters all the way up to 80 euros for the oil recommended by the Mercury dealer which is a 5w 40 diesel oil. The top marine store recommends their brand at 42 euros which states on the 4 liter jug formulated for diesel trucks and low revving high torque engines.

Agip Sin T2000 10w 40 synthetic is available at 32 euros for 4 liters and is recommended for turbo diesels cars and trucks.

I tend to think the Agip Sin T2000 is the right choice. I need some help here... any knowledgable guys and gals out there who can make a suggestion? I also need to change the oil in the Westerbeke generator which is a low revving normally aspired engine.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:58   #2

Re: Diesel Engine Oil Help

I suggest Shell Rotella T. 15w/40 non-synthetic. It will meet the requirements of both of your engines very well, and is used all over the world by millions of trucks and boats. And you won't waste your money on a synthetic oil you don't need.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:59   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Can't speak to your particular make and model, but the Isuzu dealer recommended 15w ~ 40w Chevron delo 400, also Shell Rotella. I would think that any motor oil formulated for diesel engines would be adequate.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:21   #4
cruiser

I'll ride into town tomorrow and look for a Shell station. I'm also going to look at one of the big box stores. If the Shell is the same price as the Agip synthetic, will I be doing my engine any favors by choosing the Agip?
Old 21-05-2015, 09:28   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Ken, don't know about availability there, but my Yanmar mechanic recommends Delo400 LE 15w40 non detergent oil.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You do need an oil formulated for Diesels and of the manufacturers recommended weight. It does not be a synthetic unless the manufacturer specifically requires it. You might get more life out of your engine with a synthetic and can go a little further between oil changes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:12   #7

Agip SINT 2000 oil meets API spec CF, which is a somewhat dated spec. Delo 400 LE and Shell Rotella T both meet CJ-4 specs which is a more modern high performance spec. To be fair, some of the requirements of the later specs have to do with not containing elements that might interfer with modern emission control devices such as diesel particulate filters and NOX catalytic converters.

That said, when the Agip oil spec sheet states that it meets the requirements of BMW, Rover, Porche, VW and Ford, and the containers of Delo and Rotella state that the oil meets the requirements of Cat, Cummins, MTU, Detroit Diesel, Volvo, Mack and the rest of the heavy duty truck engines, I know which oil is going into my engine.

For more info go to "oil specifications.com" .

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 09:38   #8

actually, 10/30 is the best multi-grade! if anyone wants to read about oil, go to 'bob is the oil guy.com'...i have frantz terlit paper oil/fuel filters on my 92 dodge/cummins, change the terlit paper roll at 2500 miles, add what`s needed, and change the oil @ 15,000 miles! [also send in samples] use any millspec oils, like valvoline all-fleet, texaco ursa, exxon mobil, etc...on any engine, about 35 miles is an hr, or vice versa...not sure what to do in italy, but i would go to a trucking outfit, and ask them what they use! 95% of the trucks in that area of the world, are diesel!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 09:51   #9

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
I suggest Shell Rotella T. 15w/40 non-synthetic. It will meet the requirements of both of your engines very well, and is used all over the world by millions of trucks and boats. And you won't waste your money on a synthetic oil you don't need.

DougR

I'll 2nd the recommendation for Shell Rotella T.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 10:28   #10
cruiser

I looked everywhere today for Shell and couldn't find it, so I purchased some BM7 high protection multi grade "formulated for heavy duty transport and industrial Diesel engines" at 41 euros for 4 liters. Does this sound like a good choice? I haven't opened it yet.

Ken
Old 22-05-2015, 10:53   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I buy into the Syn oil hype, and I believe Agip is an excellent oil, it's what I would use in your situation.

But I also believe that any good oil is fine, the most important thing you can do to keep your Diesel living a good, long life is to change the oil frequently, my opinion frequent changes trumps oil brand. Both Rotella and Delo are excellent oils and there are different versions of both, with those I believe it's a Ford or Chevy argument.
My belief is that we change our Diesel oils when they get loaded with soot, not because they are breaking down, Marine Diesels I don't believe are that hard on oil, your turbo though is harder on oil than a normally aspirated engine though, turbos tend to dump a lot of heat into an oil.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 11:02   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I looked everywhere today for Shell and couldn't find it, so I purchased some BM7 high protection multi grade "formulated for heavy duty transport and industrial Diesel engines" at 41 euros for 4 liters. Does this sound like a good choice? I haven't opened it yet.

Ken
Wow. You're in Europe and can't locate (Royal Dutch) Shell stations? Surprising.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 11:39   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our boat has a Yanmar 100hp turbo diesel; I do as much of the maintenance as possible. Oil changes on this model are very easy and the manual calls for a diesel grade 15w 40 engine oil. Here's the question: Which oil to choose here in Italy? They range in price from VS Max 15w 40 rated for all cars at 18.9 euros for 4 liters all the way up to 80 euros for the oil recommended by the Mercury dealer which is a 5w 40 diesel oil. The top marine store recommends their brand at 42 euros which states on the 4 liter jug formulated for diesel trucks and low revving high torque engines.

Agip Sin T2000 10w 40 synthetic is available at 32 euros for 4 liters and is recommended for turbo diesels cars and trucks.

I tend to think the Agip Sin T2000 is the right choice. I need some help here... any knowledgable guys and gals out there who can make a suggestion? I also need to change the oil in the Westerbeke generator which is a low revving normally aspired engine.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Can you lay your hands on Rotella T.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 12:03   #14

For a turbo diesel, I would suggest Shell Rotella T5 or T6, which are semi-synthetic and synthetic, respectively.
Old 22-05-2015, 12:15   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Ken, that oil is good for you. CH4 says its good for Severe Duty diesel engine service.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, oil