- User Lists
Showing Profile Comments 1 to 10 of 19
Just an update:
Turned out there was a hole in the port injection pump (just like the starboard injection pump 12 months ago).
Didn't solve the revs issue under load though. Still can't get above around 2200rpm (throttle lever keeps moving but no further gain in rpm under load).
Any further thoughts given my answers below? Getting a valve adjustment done next but not sure that that will solve that problem
Thanks so much for answering. Sorry for some reason I didn't receive any notification so hence my delay. Apologies again!
1. Usually did 3200rpm (other engine still does this as well)
2. High idle goes up to full rpm (3400+). Only under load that it struggles
3. Tote tank after fuel filter, before injection pump
4. On the other engine the injection pump had a tiny hole (everyone said it wouldn't be that but in tut end it was and had to be welded as couldn't replace the part)
5. You mentioned "unlikely" injectors - I had been told that they were getting hard to calibrate but that they couldn't source replacement components. Is it possible that it's leaking through them or a definite no?
6.I'll have to check if I have spare lift pump on board. If I take current one out, would I be able to see a leak in the diaphragm or is it enclosed?
Thanks again! I'll check back in this more often now that I see im not getting notified
Hi Doug. I'm hoping that somehow you can help me with two separate problems on my d1-30.
Port engine won't go above 2200rpm.
1. It's not fuel related - I bypassed everything using tote tank directly after filters and no change at all
2. Its not hull or props - we had it on hard stand and exactly same after full clean. SB is fine.
3. It's not saildrive clutch - replaced it after I was told that could be only remaining issue. No change
4. It's not throttle cables - replaced and run freely
5. It's not injectors - these were checked and then also switched with starboard engine and exactly the same
Engine has started "making oil" - ie oil sump going up when engine is run. It's a new issue this week (year after issue 1). This happened with SB engine 2yrs ago - turned out to be injection pump sprung a tiny hole. Before I go down that track again, could it be just the injectors themselves? Can fuel get through those and into the oil sump?
Thanks Doug. I took it to a hydro store here on the island and like you said; they ordered the seals and it should be back on board by next week. Hopefully. The fact is… we are on a dessert island and things move slower. But it looks like we are in good hands. Cheers, Lauri
Hi DougR. I copied your post below, from 2018 because it is the only pic I can find on the internet.
“Re: can you identify this steering cylinder?
Here's a photo of a steering cylinder set up as a linear drive for an autopilot, as well as the repair components for it. This is a Capilano brand cylinder, which is ( or was) a commercial division of Sea Star.
… As seen in the foto, this cylinder uses two cup type seals back to back on the piston, two lip seals, one on each end of the cylinder where the piston rod exits the cylinder body, and two O rings where the center tube fits into the cast bronze end pieces.
All of these were less than $20.00...... Mind as well get a few spares at the same time...
We sailed into Curaçao & need to order the seal kit from the states to be delivered here. I’m hoping you have your seal kit part number available, thanks for your kind help in advance. Lauri
Hi Doug. I need your help please. I have a volvo penta d2-40b evc from 2007. I've installed a replacement tachometer as the old one had a cracked lens. On installing the new tachometer the following message is displayed "incorrect database please do an update" Is there a configuration sequence I should carry out? I have started a thread, but any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Kind regards Daryl (London)
i have a 2003T in a baltic 43 that had a oil cooler rupture and may have damaged engine. i'm just wondering about if i did a repower with a D2 40 is that a straight forward engine swap with volvo penta's engine bracket kit? i have a straight drive, ms-2b, on the sailboat.
Hi Doug. I'm french and I'm getting in trouble with the stop lever of D1-30-F. ... It was hard to actuate and after having unscrewed it.. I may have done something because it's moving now but not working, even leads the engine to increase RPM.. Any idea ? Do I have to disassemble a lot to fix it ? Thanks. François