Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 15:42   #2506

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
This one is cheaper still and has been on the market for months.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/walp...lor/1119797229

I emailed, this boat is still on the market.
It just happens to be a looong way from anywhere.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 15:59   #2507

this crowther buccaneer 36 (main hull extended to 39) has been for sale for awhile in CA https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...734823371.html
more photos: https://www.popyachts.com/trimaran-s...ifornia-141003

Chris White hammerhead 54 amas (only) in Vancouver BC Canada. I recall for sale a couple years back, but I'm sure some can appreciate the photo of the storage setup.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...728659418.html

purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:17   #2508

Boat: 16' Canoe {Northern 25 previously}

Kurt Hughes D32 Trimaran built 34 ft, foam , 15HP Yanmar , gets Skinny to 12 ft ...

2014 launch Finland ,nice build!

https://boat-and-yacht.com/en/boat-325750.html#tab-1
Jimmathieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16   #2509

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
this crowther buccaneer 36 (main hull extended to 39) has been for sale for awhile in CA

Chris White hammerhead 54 amas (only) in Vancouver BC Canada. I recall for sale a couple years back, but I'm sure some can appreciate the photo of the storage setup.
The Crowther looks nice,but $5000 for the AMAS of a Hammerhead 54? Surely anyone that has the dough for a Hammerhead 54, (IMHO -
the best tri out there) would not be in the market for used amas.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57   #2510

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
The Crowther looks nice,but $5000 for the AMAS of a Hammerhead 54? Surely anyone that has the dough for a Hammerhead 54, (IMHO -
the best tri out there) would not be in the market for used amas.

jon
Agree the Hammerhead 54 is one of the best looking tri's in this size, by far.

They were trying to sell these on and off for at least 2-3 years, so would probably be happy to get ANY serious offer..

Maybe someone is building? (in which case, $5000cad- less than $4000usd is a deal IF they are still in good shape). Maybe someone could make an interesting 44ft cat out of them? If you go way back in this thread someone was selling deck panels, bridgedeck/cabin, and beams etc of a uncompleted Chris White 46/48 cat...(no hulls)...in Florida.

Who knows, could be a good fit for someone..
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:42   #2511
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Maybe they're hoping to go cruising on the motor sailor underneath and need to "unload" those hulls first.
Old 07-11-2018, 13:51   #2512

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Agree the Hammerhead 54 is one of the best looking tri's in this size, by far.

They were trying to sell these on and off for at least 2-3 years, so would probably be happy to get ANY serious offer..

Maybe someone is building?

Who knows, could be a good fit for someone..
The Hammerhead 54 is not only good looking but seriously fast for a cruiser. i can respect any guy that would take on a project like this and finish. Sorta like SV That, big project and big result. But still it will take the guy to do it. i bet tho, that they will either not sell, if the owner is married to them, or $1000 tops.
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 19:35   #2513

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A 1962 47' CSK cat for $40,000. Man, that's old!!!

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...743027541.html
Old 09-11-2018, 05:06   #2514

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Could be a nice cat for someone who values sailing performance over interior although at 47ft that won,t be bad either. Note the bridgedeck clearance.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41   #2515
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Would be good to cross post on the thread about the guy asking about plywood cats a few weeks back. They certainly can last!

Plenty of sound glass monos being chopped up everyday.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49   #2516

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
A 1962 47' CSK cat for $40,000. Man, that's old!!!

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...743027541.html
This could be a bargain. I looked at Imi Loa (CSK 43?) for a while when it was for sale and had she not been in Mexico, would’ve snapped it up. Depending on the interior of this one and condition, could be a bargain....

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:08   #2517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
This could be a bargain. I looked at Imi Loa (CSK 43?) for a while when it was for sale and had she not been in Mexico, would’ve snapped it up. Depending on the interior of this one and condition, could be a bargain....

N

There is almost no info available on these onlline. They seem to be a Rudy Choy design, and were built of epoxy saturated cold molded construction. It obviously was far ahead of it's time, with the bridge deck beginning well aft of the bows. It should have about 18' beam, and obviously from the photos has asymmetric hulls and decent bridge deck clearance for the time. Sailboat Data lists no CSK catamarans, but it does list one Rudy Choy design here: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/polynesian-concept, and there is also an article on line about the Choy cats of that era here: https://www.choydesign.com/csk/csk-history/

This is a piece of history , as well as a cat that should measure up very well in today's world.... a boat anybody should be proud to own!!

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46   #2518

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
There is almost no info available on these onlline. They seem to be a Rudy Choy design, and were built of epoxy saturated cold molded construction. It obviously was far ahead of it's time, with the bridge deck beginning well aft of the bows. It should have about 18' beam, and obviously from the photos has asymmetric hulls and decent bridge deck clearance for the time. Sailboat Data lists no CSK catamarans, but it does list one Rudy Choy design here: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/polynesian-concept, and there is also an article on line about the Choy cats of that era here: https://www.choydesign.com/csk/csk-history/

This is a piece of history , as well as a cat that should measure up very well in today's world.... a boat anybody should be proud to own!!

H.W.
Yep absolutely! Google “CSK IMI LOA” for more pics and info on a similar boat. They look very sharp for a ‘60’s boat, have lovely lines and are reputed to be very quick. I would LOVE to own this one and for the price, it’s definitely worth a look.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48   #2519

I was not allowed to edit my last post.... to many minutes elapsed. But here is a similar if a bit smaller and newer CSK boat with many photos, but no price listed:

Csk Catamaran 1988 For Sale In Marina Del Ray California | Bluewater Yacht Sales
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08   #2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Yep absolutely! Google “CSK IMI LOA” for more pics and info on a similar boat. They look very sharp for a ‘60’s boat, have lovely lines and are reputed to be very quick. I would LOVE to own this one and for the price, it’s definitely worth a look.

N

The hulls are said to be inherently "slow" compared to modern design, and the boats are said to be heavy... but I doubt that. Epoxy ply cold molded construction is inherently light compared to other methods of the time such as solid GRP. Only with the advent of sandwich construction and carbon fiber was it possible to beat epoxy ply for weight. I would not be shy of one of these except that the interior spaces are not very desirable due to the deep narrow hull shape and it's asymmetry. The bridge deck cabin made concessions to forward access that cramped the interior a bit. While I have seen photos of daggerboards in association with these boats, I think the deep draft and asymmetry were intended to handle leeway, much like Wharram designs. (except the asymmetry). I personally have little positive to say about the modern "condo cat" personally... huge awkward, high windage, huge rig motorsailors. By contrast this boat is designed to sail, and be "shipshape". It doesn't make a lot of consessions to the missus having all the comforts of home.

H.W.

H.W.

Tags
cheap, paracelle