Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 11:01   #2386

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-hulls View Post
it's a total scam...I dream of being a scammer scammer...but I'm not that smart

On scams you always want to look for misspelled words or improper grammar. I put some in bold including unnecessary caps.

1994 37FT Prout Snowgoose Elite Catamaran sailboat

Westerbeak 1cylinder diesel generator
Inboard 4 cylinder Yanmar Diesel runs Great with Sonic Silette sail drive that needs to be clean
This is a very well built blue water sail boat
Sails in great condition
Two Front Roller furlings
Heat & air condition
Old 17-06-2018, 13:36   #2387

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
On scams you always want to look for misspelled words or improper grammar. I put some in bold including unnecessary caps.
How is that? You can tell a scam by misspelled words and improper grammar??? Huh? Some people just plainly can't spell. i see guages and breaks (on a car) all the time. Should i consider these posters to be scammers? And myself, i never capitalize "i" or my name? Am i a scammer?
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:47   #2388

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Jon, it's just another red flag warning you to be cautious. Now pardon me because I have to go take care of my wenches.
Old 17-06-2018, 13:57   #2389

If you're referring to the Prout for $9000.00. I'm pretty sure those same photographs were used in a similar Boat For Sale ad in the San Diego Craigslist about a month ago. I contacted them and they did the ol "send an email here to talk to my dad (or whomever) is selling it." That ad was flagged and down within a day or two.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:10   #2390

Re: Roger Simpson 45' trimaran

Buzzman asked ....
"Yeah I'd guessed that from the underwater shape - no chines. Do they know what timber was used for the hull?"

I don't know what type of wood was used to cold mold the trimaran but I'll ask Walter Greene next time I talk to him.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 03:04   #2391

Given it’s in America and was built some time ago, the veneer of choice back then was South American mahogany but close to equal money would be on cedar.
Just thinking allowed.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:18   #2392

Buzzman asked ....
"Yeah I'd guessed that from the underwater shape - no chines. Do they know what timber was used for the hull?"

Good guess ... meranti ( mahogany) veneers.

FYI, the price has dropped to $20k. Somebody please buy this boat!
Old 21-06-2018, 13:57   #2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post

FYI, the price has dropped to $20k. Somebody please buy this boat!
Does that mean that they are now losing money on the removal of the boat?
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 23-06-2018, 06:56   #2394

It looks like someone bit on the Simpson Tri as the link for the listing is no longer valid.
jon
Old 23-06-2018, 09:11   #2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
It looks like someone bit on the Simpson Tri as the link for the listing is no longer valid.
jon
I hope that is the case. Does someone have some news to share?
Old 27-06-2018, 14:48   #2396

The Simpsom trimaran is still for sale, although the Craigslist ad has expired and has not been reposted as of yet. I met with the seller at Greene Marine yesterday. Nice guy and he really wants to see the boat completed and on the water. I might be passing by Peabody Massachusetts tomorrow and if so I will stop off and take a look. If anyone has any specific questions or wants some photos let me know by PM.
Old 29-06-2018, 05:00   #2397

MattyC I am very interested in the trimaran project located in Peabody mass. I live outside seattle so I will attempt to contact greene marine as well.

You can reach me by call or text. +1 360-209-9253 if you text start with the word boats so I don't mistake the message as horse related. ( I am making a transition in life)

Thanks
Sailing_garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:10   #2398

Boat: Pearson 33-2

If I were single, or wanted to be...…
https://delaware.craigslist.org/boa/...612579315.html
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 14:27   #2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I went to see this boat last Wednesday, back when it was still listed in an eBay auction. The Hirondelle cat is a pretty remarkable design all in all, and I am glad I drove nearly two hours to finally see one. Built like a tank, surprisingly spacious belowdecks (standing headroom in the hulls for me (5' 8") and the 10' beam does wonders for the space), and some well-thought-out ideas - especially given the time it was conceived. All lines lead aft, dual companionways, lots of storage lockers and cubby holes, and worthy of some distant adventures yet all in a small trailerable package. I think a multihull-only cruising couple on a strict budget would be happy with one of these.

This boat is a MK 1, which means it has the taller rig and greater sail area. That said, if you want/expect stellar performance this boat will still disappoint as it is heavy. MK 2 models have a shorter rig as the home waters of the North Sea and Solent were possibly a bit too windy for the MK 1 much of the time. The MK 3 has hollow fixed keels and a bit more space below at the expense of bridgedeck clearance.

This MK 1 has clearance of ~12" at its lowest, slightly better than an older Gemini. This boat also had a nice but not great trailer with new tires and hubs, 9.9 Suzuki extra long motor, two crispy sails, a few nice electronics with newer electric panels, and fair bimini; the dodger looked shot. The topsides were okay, the deck and cockpit needed sanding and painting soon, and belowdecks needed sanding, painting and updating everywhere years ago (pretty depressing). Most of the blocks were the original brown Tuffnol, The traveler was original and shot, the original daggerboards were cracked, the rudders were simple bare planks of wood and their cassettes were solid but ugly. The gudgeons and pintles looked undersized but were newer. All of the newer plexi windows were beginning to craze and were screwed instead of thru-bolted into place with questionable bedding - inviting leakage. Clearly, much is necessary before this boat can earn the asking price. Sure, others may hold a different opinion; but I wrote this to save people time and effort.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:21   #2400

The Craigslist ad for the Simpson trimaran in Peabody Massachusetts has been reposted. Needs a buyer ....

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/45ft...628033907.html

Tags
cheap, paracelle