Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 17:03   #1756

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
! How did they attach the train car to the top?
I'm thinkin' with iron spikes.
Old 17-04-2016, 14:18   #1757

Im not sure about the searunner 31, all i recall is it was priced 4k. It may have been in napa area.

This horstman 27 would perhaps be a nice liveaboard option (cheap monthly but spacious) for the right person. perhaps worth a look and a low offer. Horstman Tristar 27.9 Trimaran
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 22:23   #1758

Twiggy Anyone ?

Very fixable Crowther Twiggy in Sydney.

Trimaram Crowther Twiggy damaged | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Pittwater Area - Newport | 1106647248
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 13:17   #1759

31' sea runner brown trimaran searunner 31 east bay (san francisco)
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 06:22   #1760

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Lowest price Gemini w a brand-new motor
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bod/5514902611.html

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:36   #1761

Boat: Boatless

Jim's Scrimshaw for sale. $5,000.00

scroll down a few listings

Good Old Boat - Fixer-Upper Sailboats
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:02   #1762
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Jim's Scrimshaw for sale. $5,000.00

scroll down a few listings

Good Old Boat - Fixer-Upper Sailboats

Already sold

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:23   #1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Looks like the ebay buyer backed out (as expected at that price) as the privilige was reposted to craigslist.

Also a few more: woody brown cat looks nice https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/boa/5492820752.html

Brown 31 in the bay area 31' sea runner brown trimaran

Unfinished 30ft cat in bc (if anyone can figure out the design, would be interesting to hear what it is) 30' Catamaran Under Construction
Wow, I have a plastic model of that old 68 cat
DosCascos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:25   #1764

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Anyone interested in building? I have a complete plan set for the Marples CC-37 trimaran for sale. Very nice cruising boat with lots of speed potential and proven offshore capability......... Winner of the 2005 OSTAR.

Plans from John are $2000.

Asking $1200.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:21   #1765

Boat: Catalina, Swing Keel, 22ft
Thumbs up Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
No! Thank you!!!
I laughed so hard. Thank you so much for the time you took to make fun of this ad.
Bad Sailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:50   #1766

Hello everyone,

I am new to your forum. Some search engine sent me here and I joined. I am very interested in learning all I can about multi hulls. I am attempting to buy multi-hull that my fiance, my dog and I can live on somewhat comfortably. I am guess that it is at least a 30 ft closer to 40 ft range. I have no problem doing boat restoration as I have already done it once before on a smaller 22 ft size mono hull.

I am trying to find information on and would like to build a multi-hull design for cruising and full time live aboard. Though the ones that have the best support are most expensive than what I could purchase a used already built Cat for. Such as the Shionning's. The Ed Horstman designs seems to have no social media support just a website with out dated images and a paypal page where someone in cycber space will take your money, but not answer your questions when you email em.

I am hoping by reaching out to you all (The cycber gods of sailing)someone may help shine some light.
I have already looked up most of the post you have mentioned and I am interested in and most of them are sold.
I would really be ok building something from scratch. I just want more support in knowing the business is stable and find out a total cost from start to finish and I just don't seem to be putting in the right key words in my search to find that answer.

If I could get my dream home that could sail the world and build for under $100K then I would do it. I just don't feel I am making the most educated guess based on information I am coming across, as well as my newbie to Catamarans period. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks for help
Aodhan

P.S. I do have a brain injury that makes written communication harder. Sometimes my software doesn't always add what I write, or if I write I don't always have complete sentences. I promise I didn't always come off as daft.
Thank you for your patience. My back story is on YT at Bad Sailboat.
Old 30-04-2016, 17:50   #1767

Aodhan, check out Richard Woods' website sailingcatamarans.com, many informative articles and a range of designs aimed at homebuilders.
A great deal of common sense learned from a lifetime of cruising, racing, designing.

I like his 28' Gypsy, low cost, simple easy build and just big enough for 2 to liveaboard. Proven, safe, quick and comfortable.
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:19   #1768

I replied to this post and it doesnt show up. Anyway thank you! soo much! I am still swimming through the information on this website. I am sure to find the information I need and want here.

P.S. Do you know what minimum size outboard is necessary to move a 28ft Trimaran?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:04   #1769

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sailboat View Post
I replied to this post and it doesnt show up. Anyway thank you! soo much! I am still swimming through the information on this website. I am sure to find the information I need and want here.

P.S. Do you know what minimum size outboard is necessary to move a 28ft Trimaran?
Another question to ask is what is the max weight of a motor for a 28 foot tri. Probably 100 lbs is about the ultimate max and likely a lot less if the 28 is light.

A 5 HP probably is good enough. I use a 9.9 om my 31 er. 7 knots flat water easy enough.

Also, going to depend on where the 28 is going to be sailed and in what kind of conditions. Lake? Ocean? Good weather pocket cruiser?

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39   #1770

Jim, Thanks for the quick reply.

Well I am trying to gather some facts about cost effectiveness. I know nothing about outboard/inboard outboard or remote style engines. The boat is 3,300 pounds.

The boat (if we buy it) will go from San Diego to Vallejo. So I am guessing an engine that works in tough waters. Its a project boat that is sea worthy. We need to get it to Long beach area first for a haul out and bottom paint (if the quote in Vallejo is too high).

Then to Vallejo. We are also looking into the cost to have someone Captain the boat. As my fiance and I have only sailed lakes, and I have only crewed in the bay area. We just are not comfortable sailing the pacific alone at this point. Till we finish our ASA So if you have any suggestions (or anyone here) in that area as well. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Aodhan

Tags
cheap, paracelle