Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 12:25   #1666
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 2,881
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
congratulations on the Marples cat, if it is the one from NC.

I have owned the Harris, unused for 6 years.

Thanks, yes it is the one from NC. The Harris is a really nice looking trimaran. It crossed my thoughts many times while looking for a boat.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:49   #1667
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri
Posts: 3,137
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Not all of the photos in the ad are of the boat that is for sale. The boat that is for sale is a Hortsman 42 that had flares added to the main hull in order to gain more accommodations. It was started in the early 80's if I remember correctly. My wife and I worked on it in the early stages and sold the BMC diesel to the builders, so we have some knowledge of it.

Cheers,
I looked at that boat in November. It was covered with tarps and it was a hassle to remove them to go inside so I didn't. What I did see was a turnoff. There were really rough areas of glass work on the top sides. Under the starboard ama there were regularly spaced sections of pink stuff which looked like Bondo. I couldn't figure out what was going on there. The ad makes it seem like it is ready for paint but it will need significant work first.
__________________

__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 17:15   #1668
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri
Posts: 3,137
That Horstman 42

I took some pics of that unfinished tri in Tacoma.
The first one is the bow deck.
The 2nd one is that series of Bondo(?) stripes underneath the wingdeck where it connects to the starboard ama.
3rd is a close up of the Bondo(?) stuff.
4th is a chunk missing out of the bottom. I'm not an expert but I thought there should be glass near the keel. This one has about an 2 inches of bog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0172b8cc395890414e26aac397f7173001b4b4bf3b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	118733   Click image for larger version

Name:	013bc6c1f02919dcd40054e0377df4e08eb93bfdbd.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	118734  

Click image for larger version

Name:	01b462f70ffe930e3b491ba6ea69d87a5701d67d05.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	118735   Click image for larger version

Name:	01252f575710e9ca9acc1a3ee0f0acd55726d6f239.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	118736  

__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 18:01   #1669
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On board in the Chesapeake
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 249
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I looked at that boat in November. It was covered with tarps and it was a hassle to remove them to go inside so I didn't. What I did see was a turnoff. There were really rough areas of glass work on the top sides. Under the starboard ama there were regularly spaced sections of pink stuff which looked like Bondo. I couldn't figure out what was going on there. The ad makes it seem like it is ready for paint but it will need significant work first.
We haven't seen the boat in close to 30 years. Judging from some of the photos in the ad, I doubt you would have found much encouragement inside either. It sure doesn't look like the intervening years have been kind to it. It was started around 1980 by two brothers. The project took too long and life (health issues and a non-sailor girlfriend) got in the way. Finishing this boat looks like a huge project, one that Sue and I wouldn't live long enough to finish and enjoy. A young and energetic boatbuilder might get a good deal though.

Joe
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 21:17   #1670
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Homemade 33' Trimaran Sailboat Maine | eBay

33 tri for cheap, I am told same builder as the harris 38 that multihuller is trying to sell, in Maine. It looks to be ply (no epoxy/poly) above the waterline, but interesting boat none the less
__________________
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 10:34   #1671
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 894
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

This looks to be a really good deal. If anyone is up in the PNW, have a look:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5440482308.html



Asking price is US $25K
__________________
snort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:27   #1672
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri
Posts: 3,137
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
This looks to be a really good deal. If anyone is up in the PNW, have a look:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5440482308.html



Asking price is US $25K
That one was brought up here before. I also called on that one in November. It's owned by Canadians who keep it in Canada despite having a Washington title. It's not US documented. He is overseas in the military. His wife and possibly children liveaboard. The consensus by the Canadian members is that the boat has violated the rules on their version on a US cruising permit. Bringing the boat over here means passing the boarder but what will you tell customs when you check in? Will you check in? Once you are on this side then you are OK I guess if the CG didn't catch you. The owner can't deliver it. Also one would have to pay for the boat first so the wife and kiddies can move somewhere before taking possession. It's a challenging legal issue and I passed for that reason.
I like the boat.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:52   #1673
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 894
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That one was brought up here before. I also called on that one in November. It's owned by Canadians who keep it in Canada despite having a Washington title. It's not US documented. He is overseas in the military. His wife and possibly children liveaboard. The consensus by the Canadian members is that the boat has violated the rules on their version on a US cruising permit. Bringing the boat over here means passing the boarder but what will you tell customs when you check in? Will you check in? Once you are on this side then you are OK I guess if the CG didn't catch you. The owner can't deliver it. Also one would have to pay for the boat first so the wife and kiddies can move somewhere before taking possession. It's a challenging legal issue and I passed for that reason.
I like the boat.
How's the wife?
Well, I think he left out the complicated bit in the ad.
Yeah, it does look like a nice boat!
__________________
snort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 16:48   #1674
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 963
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Yes, very attractive tri
__________________
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 16:59   #1675
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 963
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Homemade 33' Trimaran Sailboat Maine | eBay

33 tri for cheap, I am told same builder as the harris 38 that multihuller is trying to sell, in Maine. It looks to be ply (no epoxy/poly) above the waterline, but interesting boat none the less
Agreed on no glass, from the checking it looks like its probably fir ply. Checking is not rot though. Kind of a cool looking little tri. I'm guessing its in Walter Greens yard by the other tris in the background.
__________________
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 17:13   #1676
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,845
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That one was brought up here before. I also called on that one in November. It's owned by Canadians who keep it in Canada despite having a Washington title. It's not US documented. He is overseas in the military. His wife and possibly children liveaboard. The consensus by the Canadian members is that the boat has violated the rules on their version on a US cruising permit. Bringing the boat over here means passing the boarder but what will you tell customs when you check in? Will you check in? Once you are on this side then you are OK I guess if the CG didn't catch you. The owner can't deliver it. Also one would have to pay for the boat first so the wife and kiddies can move somewhere before taking possession. It's a challenging legal issue and I passed for that reason.
I like the boat.
I'm not familiar with all that is involved with documenting a boat. What would one have to do to buy it and legally bring it into the US?
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 19:03   #1677
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Posts: 700
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'm not familiar with all that is involved with documenting a boat. What would one have to do to buy it and legally bring it into the US?
Call US and Canadian Customs. They will help you sort it out. It used to be OK for a US boat to be left in Canada but there were some changes, a grandfather clause might apply.
__________________
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:10   #1678
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri
Posts: 3,137
The Canadian tri

Documenting it is the easy part because it already has a state title. Getting it on this side is the hard part. It's only 20 miles but seems a lot further than that for this one.

PS: My boat only has a WA state title.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:34   #1679
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Posts: 700
Re: The Canadian tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Documenting it is the easy part because it already has a state title. Getting it on this side is the hard part. It's only 20 miles but seems a lot further than that for this one.

PS: My boat only has a WA state title.
I think you are missing the point. I'm suggesting talking with customs before you go through. The boat probably went through customs on the way up so there is a Canadian record of it most likely. Sneaking across is a great way to wind up with a impounded boat and court fees. I've found customs on both sides of the border very helpful, In this case it really is just the US you have to deal with. I had a friend with the situation in reverse with a Canadian boat in the US and after pondering going North on a busy day and acting stupid if things didn't work he went the official route and found it easy.
__________________
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:05   #1680
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 220
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
How about this one!
2003 Richard Woods 36' Catamaran Sailboat FL SPRI 03 | eBay

No reserve! and currently bidding is at $3,100 with 2 days left.
"Attention! K-Mart shoppers, we have a blue plate special..."
Sold for $12100
__________________

__________________
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.