Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 07:57   #181

Re: Why have keel preferences changed for cruising boats?

This is the bar room argument again... is the ability to heave-to solely a function of the keel? There are comments above that indicate they do or don't impact the ability to heave-to. However, I would content that the hull shape, sail plan and rudder design are far bigger parts of the equation and that keel shape has less, and perhaps little, to do with the ability to heave-to.

Feel free to pull up a barstool and try to convince me that the keel shape is a big factor in that equation. Bring on the proof-by-experience stories. :-)

JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 10:35   #182

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
This is the bar room argument again... is the ability to heave-to solely a function of the keel? There are comments above that indicate they do or don't impact the ability to heave-to. However, I would content that the hull shape, sail plan and rudder design are far bigger parts of the equation and that keel shape has less, and perhaps little, to do with the ability to heave-to.

Feel free to pull up a barstool and try to convince me that the keel shape is a big factor in that equation. Bring on the proof-by-experience stories. :-)

Loved it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 11:32   #183

Cost efficiency.
Current hull forms make a way "better" use of materials.

You can still buy a NEW rustler 36 : https://www.rustleryachts.com/rustler36/

But the comparison with a NEW HR 340 https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/yacht...erg-rassy-340/ will be very hard for the rustler, even on price.

And a comparison (comfort & performance) with a way cheaper NEW x40 https://www.x-yachts.com/en/yachts/x/x4-0/ will be catastrophic .
fc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 12:05   #184

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post

I think that the keys to being able to heave to are:
  • Enough power in the mainsail to drive a backed jib up into the wind.
  • A jib big enough and well backed to prevent forward progress but not so big that it pushes the boat down into a fore-reaching mode
  • An effective rudder that will continue to steer the boat up into the wind even at low speeds
Old 17-03-2021, 20:45   #185

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think that the keys to being able to heave to are:
  • Enough power in the mainsail to drive a backed jib up into the wind.
  • A jib big enough and well backed to prevent forward progress but not so big that it pushes the boat down into a fore-reaching mode
  • An effective rudder that will continue to steer the boat up into the wind even at low speeds
Mine does pretty well but as you say the main has to have the power, or I would say the foot length, to drive the boat up against the windvane of the jib. Does a high aspect main have enough to fight against a backwinded jib or does it just keep sailing, on the other tack, more slowly? The older long or full keel boats also come with the longer booms, longer mainsail feet, to rudder the boat up wind. I can't think of a fin keel that also has a longer boom, but I'd bet they are easier to heave-to. I don't know, I've never tried heaving-to a fin keel and high aspect rig so I throw the question out there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 08:18   #186
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why have keel preferences changed for cruising boats?

The loss of the keel aboard Cheeki Rafiki, which became the subject of an intensive search, sent shockwaves through the sport. This was a standard Beneteau 40.7, a boat that is anything but high-tech. With around 800 afloat, it is a modest design with a reputation for being a robust and reliable workhorse.

Furthermore, the 40.7 is not only popular, but is typical of many other cruiser-racer styles around the world. Far from being extreme, this was a tragedy that claimed four lives aboard a run-of-the-mill cruiser-racer and struck a chord with thousands of sailors.

It wasn’t the first case of its type, however. In May 2013 a Bavaria 390 lost her keel 650nm north-east of Bermuda while on passage back from St Maarten to the Azores. In this incident the two-man Danish crew were rescued from a liferaft by a Finnish navy ship.

Before that there was the case of Hooligan V, a production raceboat that lost her keel in 2007 and claimed a life. In 2005 a Bavaria Match 42 lost hers as the internal structure pulled through the bottom of the boat. In the same year Moquini, a Fast 42, lost her keel off South Africa with the loss of six crew.

Indeed, so concerned is the sport’s governing body, ISAF, about the incidences of keel failure that it has formed a Keel Structure Working Party to investigate the issue. Part of the group’s initial work was to develop a database of the reported failures. Currently, the list includes 72 cases since 1984, and in those 24 lives have been lost – a small number perhaps when compared with the many thousands of boats that have been built over this period, but unacceptable nonetheless.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 10:15   #187

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The loss of the keel aboard Cheeki Rafiki, which became the subject of an intensive search, sent shockwaves through the sport. This was a standard Beneteau 40.7, a boat that is anything but high-tech. With around 800 afloat, it is a modest design with a reputation for being a robust and reliable workhorse.

Furthermore, the 40.7 is not only popular, but is typical of many other cruiser-racer styles around the world. Far from being extreme, this was a tragedy that claimed four lives aboard a run-of-the-mill cruiser-racer and struck a chord with thousands of sailors.

It wasn’t the first case of its type, however. In May 2013 a Bavaria 390 lost her keel 650nm north-east of Bermuda while on passage back from St Maarten to the Azores. In this incident the two-man Danish crew were rescued from a liferaft by a Finnish navy ship.

Before that there was the case of Hooligan V, a production raceboat that lost her keel in 2007 and claimed a life. In 2005 a Bavaria Match 42 lost hers as the internal structure pulled through the bottom of the boat. In the same year Moquini, a Fast 42, lost her keel off South Africa with the loss of six crew.

Indeed, so concerned is the sport’s governing body, ISAF, about the incidences of keel failure that it has formed a Keel Structure Working Party to investigate the issue. Part of the group’s initial work was to develop a database of the reported failures. Currently, the list includes 72 cases since 1984, and in those 24 lives have been lost – a small number perhaps when compared with the many thousands of boats that have been built over this period, but unacceptable nonetheless.

Don’t disagree with many premises but remember Cheeki Rafiki is much more on the race side of things. I crewed on a 40.7 for inshore racing and while it could be cruised thinks like cockpit design, mid cockpit main sheet and traveler, and very high aspect deeper draft keel are a lot more radical than the majority of bluewater cruisers including the entire Beneteau cruising range
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:57   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Only a small percentage of boats are cruised. Most are weekend warriors or dock queens and most only go out in low wind and calm seas. Come to the Caribbean and see most Monohull boats are heavy old tanks. Typically, half are ketches or schooners. Ours, 58 feet, 1984, 40 tons, Camper and Nicholson ketch.

Boat builders build competitively cheap boats with minimal equipment and not much serious thought to live aboard comfort and long distance passage making.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 01:06   #189

Typically, half are ketches or schooners. Ours, 58 feet, 1984, 40 tons, Camper and Nicholson ketch.

40 tons?
Ianau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 01:27   #190

Boat: Outbound 44

I don't know about your Carib stats, last I was there I'd say the most popular monohull was a Benetau.
Old 24-03-2021, 02:23   #191

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Only a small percentage of boats are cruised. Most are weekend warriors or dock queens and most only go out in low wind and calm seas. Come to the Caribbean and see most Monohull boats are heavy old tanks. Typically, half are ketches or schooners. Ours, 58 feet, 1984, 40 tons, Camper and Nicholson ketch.

Boat builders build competitively cheap boats with minimal equipment and not much serious thought to live aboard comfort and long distance passage making.
Oh c'mon, I've been to the Carribean, and my recollection vary's quite abit from yours.

I was in the Tuomotus French Polynesia last year and what struck me most was how few old " blue water " boats were anchored at Fakarava while I was there. I remember thinking "10 years ago this Anchorage would of been full of Tayanas, Hans Christian's etc".
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 05:01   #192

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I went to a survival course once at the RORC club house in London and after all the theory and seeing a liferaft deployed there and then one of the participants said "Now let me tell you what happens in real life". So he was one of the crew of Hooligan V. Very interesting obviously to hear him speak.

The keel of the Hooligan V was not manufactured in line with the actual design. From what I recall the keel was end-welded onto the metal piece which actually gets bolted onto the hull whereas it should also have gone through that piece. Not sure how to explain it better. The inquiry placed the blame largely if not entirely with the manufacturer of the keel which decided to do things differently.

This particular keel failure should therefore be eliminated as an example of how dangerous these keels are.

Edit: https://assets.publishing.service.go...ganVReport.pdf has the details
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 21:12   #193

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

similar happened to "Excalibur" in australia in 2002. keel had been cut and re-welded during building. subsequently fell off

4 died

the welder & company director at the builders were charged with manslaughter but eventually acquitted

cheers,
Old 24-03-2021, 21:25   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there knows why there has been such dramatic and industry wide shift away from fuller keels with more comfortable but narrow hull shapes in the pre 1980's to the fast, voluminous, but pounding shape of modern boats. I mean it's not like the cruising destinations are different. It's not like sailing is any different. And it's not like people can't afford to buy one kind or the other (even though bolt on has become more economical - people are still spending 2 million dollars on a new Amel 60, for example). So why has the shift been so complete and virtually unanimous?
A proper setup 35’ cruising boat with a full keel can cost $400k! Interiors are easily 60% of the cost.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 07:23   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianau View Post
Typically, half are ketches or schooners. Ours, 58 feet, 1984, 40 tons, Camper and Nicholson ketch.

40 tons?
72,000 # empty, 7000# fuel and water, 2500# batteries, tools and misc contents. The main mast and stays are 2000#
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, enc, keel, references