Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 14:52   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Full Keel Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
That one above Quebec City is a whopper. We saw7.5 knot current traveling a Z channel. The one in Woods Hole is also impressive.
I think we hit near 10 knots. 5.x over water (speedo), 15.x over land (GPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Here, I solved it for you....Attachment 200694

(Except maybe the skeg bit)
Nice. Interesting design. She looks like a tough sea boat.
Old 29-09-2019, 14:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabpot105 View Post
Are these the best for sailing offshore?
They don't sail better than any deep-draft ocean-going design, the encapsulated keel is more for the peace of mind that it stays on. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about keels which are secured by 6+ solid, healthy bolts.
Old 29-09-2019, 14:57   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think we hit near 10 knots. 5.x over water (speedo), 15.x over land (GPS)

Nice. Interesting design. She looks like a tough sea boat.

Camper & Nicholson 58, 40 tons. It’s a passage maker. Hampton, Va to Virgin Gorda we had a two day total over 500 miles. Finished 1500 in 7.5 days.

We saw 14+ in that channel by GPS. It’s easy to get carried sideways into a channel marker in the St Lawrence.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 14:58   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Great pictures above which certainly reinforces the fact that full keel cruisers are not very fast, won't point, but are heavy and safe in a blow if your are the type than can deal with that style sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 15:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
They don't sail better than any deep-draft ocean-going design, the encapsulated keel is more for the peace of mind that it stays on. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about keels which are secured by 6+ solid, healthy bolts.
Thanks, but you have to give it to the old full keel boats which can bounce their encapsulated keels off the bottom for a while if they happen to run aground without causing any damage.

Not so with a bolt on keel I'm thinking which means should I buy one I'd have to be more on the ball with navigation in low water and not just relay on how the water and waves look to determine depth which is my normal method now
Old 29-09-2019, 15:08   #21

Quote:
Thanks, but you have to give it to the old full keel boats which can bounce their encapsulated keels off the bottom for a while if they happen to run aground without causing any damage.

Not so with a bolt on keel I'm thinking which means should I buy one I'd have to be more on the ball with navigation in low water and not just relay on how the water and waves look to determine depth which is my normal method now
Hard grounding is no good for full keel either. Softer grounding is done by tens of thousands of bolt on bilge keel Westerly's, Moody's, Sadlers, etc twice a day.
Old 29-09-2019, 15:09   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Here’s my baby. As I said, she’s a FULL keel. All I can say is, if you see me coming into a marina — get out of the way!
Attached Images

Old 29-09-2019, 15:17   #23

Quote:
Here’s my baby. As I said, she’s a FULL keel. All I can say is, if you see me coming into a marina — get out of the way!
Nice picture and that's very good advice
Old 29-09-2019, 15:17   #24

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:

Same with my westsail 32! No docking issues just have to plan cafefully....and anticipate/plan each move and turn!
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 15:20   #25

Quote:
Hard grounding is no good for full keel either. Softer grounding is done by tens of thousands of bolt on bilge keel Westerly's, Moody's, Sadlers, etc twice a day.
Smaller full keel boats though are like 10% the price of one of those boats you named and make great starter or full time cruisers if you can adjust to their weakness in performance.

Plus, they can handle repeated hard groundings as mine has
Old 29-09-2019, 15:22   #26

Quote:
Smaller full keel boats though are like 10% the price of one of those boats you named and make great starter or full time cruisers if you can adjust to their weakness in performance.

Plus, they can handle repeated hard groundings as mine has
Hard grounding = you hit rocks at 5kts of more. It will remove quite a bit from the laminate I am afraid.

In the UK you pay about 15-30k£ or 20-40k$ for a bilge keel boat around 30'. I doubt 2-4k$ will buy you a decent full keel boat.

Anyway, I am not against full keel by any means, maybe my next one will be a full keel boat, but it's not all that clear that bolt-on is evil and full keel is the only way to go.
Old 29-09-2019, 15:24   #27

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

Superb. And I bet you don’t lose much sleep over running into shallows.

FWIW, I ordered a Kiwiprop last week, I’ll be interested to see if I get any better manoeuvrability in the marina. As things currently stand, reversing is like rolling a dice to see which direction the boat will turn. The wheel has little or no effect.
Old 29-09-2019, 15:26   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Yes, truly a beauty with that single curve from the stem. Others should note this as a full keel design. So many think of long keel boats as being full keel.
Old 29-09-2019, 15:29   #29

Quote:
Hard grounding = you hit rocks at 5kts of more. It will remove quite a bit from the laminate I am afrad.
Oh no, not rocks.

I'd call that an extremely hard grounding, and I wouldn't even get close to a bottom like that if I could in anyway avoid it
Old 29-09-2019, 15:46   #30

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

A lot depends on how you approach sailing and why you sail.

A full keel boat will generally be heavier, and maybe safer in groundings. Some people swear that they track better than fin keel boats and have easier motion in seas. It will also be slower on most, if not all, points of sail, and if you love the feel of an exciting sailboat, you won't get it quite the same way with a full keelboat. But if tradition, security of a heavy boat, and homelike interior is your thing, and you don't mind being a little off the pace, the full keel boat might really suit you.

On the other hand a fin keel boat will generally be lighter and possibly subject to more damage in groundings although I'd debate that one. As for tracking, the power of a balanced and separate rudder far back from the keel makes the boat extremely responsive to rudder input. Being pushed off your line by a wave is no problem if the rudder puts you right back on it instantly. But the real reason for the fin keel boat is performance and feel. A designer would rarely put a small sail plan on a fin keel boat, so they are usually powered up. They may really come alive in 10 knots of wind and you can feel that. You reef them down early and then they fly with small sails. (You can tell it excites me just talking about it). So if you love sailing more than a feeling of security that comes from heaviness, a fin keel (and a spade rudder) would be for you.

Ocean passages, any boat can do it. You might wind up motoring more with your full keel boat, or, with a fin keel you may find you can sail any direction in any breeze, so you do.

This is our boat, we've sailed it across all the oceans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder & WV on-Port Qtr-6422.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	200697  

Tags
boat, grass, keel, sail, sailboat