Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 07:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 33'
Where to anchor for an extended period of time around Woods Hole

Hello,

We are a couple of Canadian sailors and oceanographers, currently based in Quebec City, who will be temporarily working for a year at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), starting next September. Our plan is to sail down to Woods Hole, going through the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and live aboard until the end of October. We would then store our boat for the winter (not sure where yet) and rent a little apartment in the surrounding area until the following spring. We'd expect to arrive in Woods Hole around mi-August.

It seems to be quite difficult to find an available mooring in the Woods Hole area (Great Harbor, Little Harbor, Eel Pond, Quissett harbor). We could also consider a slip at a marina but that also seems to be difficult to get, and weems to be very expensive!.

Here's our question. Is it possible and legal to drop our anchor either in Great Harbor or Little Harbor or Eel Pond (or anywhere else) and stay there and live aboard for an extended period or time, like 2 months or so? According to the U.S. Coast pilot "Good anchorage in depths of 29 to 36 feet is also available about 200 yards northwest of the National Marine Fisheries Service’s wharf. Small craft can find good anchorage in Little Harbor and Hadley Harbor." But how about staying there for a long period of time?

Otherwise, we are open to any recommendation that you may have about where to stay on a sailboat for about 2 months in the Woods Hole area. Thank you!
DNS1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:20   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Where to anchor for an extended period of time around Woods Hole

Perhaps Hadley Harbor?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:30   #3

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 33'

Thank you for the suggestion and thanks for sharing the video! We considered Hadley Harbor but getting to work at WHOI every day would be problematic.
DNS1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:55   #4

Boat: J/42

Good Luck.

Not to be ominous, but my memories from occasionally traveling to Woods Hole for work seem to prominently feature all the signs saying “Don’t Even Think About Parking Here.” And that was 25-30 years ago.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:11   #5

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Hadley Harbor: 3 days maximum
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Unfortunately you picked a really difficult area for transient boaters. I live across the sound on Martha's Vineyard and it took six years on the waiting list to get a mooring in Lake Tashmoo harbor. Main harbor in Vineyard Haven I hear is 15-20 years. Also, as noted parking will be a problem if you anchor anywhere around Woods Hole. Woods Hole is the main ferry terminal for connecting to the local islands which means during the summer there are hundreds of cars looking for a place to park. Unless you can find an assigned or designated spot you will be at high risk for tickets or towing.

You will likely have to look farther away or up your budget or both. Have you checked Red Brook, Osterville or other nearby harbors.

Another option, on Martha's Vineyard you can anchor in Lagoon Pond (under the draw bridge on the east side of Vineyard Haven harbor. There's a dinghy beach and parking at the boat ramp. Also anchoring in Lake Tashmoo with a dinghy dock and parking. Both are not to far from the Vineyard Haven ferry docks. Round trip to Woods Hole for walk on passengers less than $20 each and cheaper if you buy a pass. Taking a car, unless you have a residents pass almost $200.

The written rules say you are allowed to anchor for three days in the same spot but not sure if that is really enforced. I met one guy working for the summer at the local West Marine who was living onboard anchored in the Lagoon. Worst case scenario you might have to move the boat occasionally. Also strict rules about using the pumpout boat which is free.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:34   #7

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I don't know how to solve the where to anchor problem if you really need to live on board and commute to work in Woods Hole. However, a reasonable marina that could well have space "in the area" and is a good value is Pope's Island Marina in New Bedford.
I suspect the best people to ask about anchoring over a long period of time would be the people at the Oceanographic Institute. But you've probably already talked to them. Any of the "established" places probably won't work just because of the level of activity. The traffic in the area and the use of all the harbor space, moorings and anchoring is crazy. The ideal would be to talk to the people at Quissett. They are wonderful. It's a family run operation if anyone could figure out an arrangement, like get you on a mooring that's open for part of the summer and then move you around based on the local users schedule they are the people. The advantage is there's a bus that runs from the Quissett area right into Woods Hole.
Personally I suspect you'll need to find a place to live on land and put the boat in a marina "in the area." Fair winds.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 15:25   #8

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

I would choose Red Brooke Harbor bay (Cataumet or Pocasset): there is plenty of mooring balls, where you could get a decent rate for the whole season (if there are free mooring still available!).

Both marina there have great facilities, with travel lift to haul out at the end of the season.
You will need a car to commute though.

Very protected area, and you can anchor east of Bassetts Island.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 15:43   #9

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Why does everyone keep mentioning parking? I'm pretty sure their plan is to drive their dinghy to work.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 16:20   #10

Boat: McIntosh Cutter-rigged Sloop, 47'LOA

You cannot anchor in the part of Great Harbor that is NW of the NMFS buildings. Fishing boats need to access that pier.
Suggest contacting Kit Olmsted in Woods Hole when you are next there. Tell him what you’re looking to do.
Will you be working in Woods Hole village or at the Quisset campus?
Old 07-03-2022, 16:38   #11

Things are likely to open more for you once you are there. I worked there as a sailboat captain some time ago and knew people with moorings in Great Harbor. Many were used "in season" only and that meant July and Aug ONLY. One problem there is that Penzance Point which surrounds that harbor is "gated". In other words, you'd have to know someone who can vet, verify and vouch for you. The good news is that Penzance Point residents have been VERY devoted to and supportive of the Oceanographic ! Ck this: I always thought that the WH Yacht Club had moorings. Also Ck this: I also thought that the Eel Pond was reserved for WHOI workers and townspeople. It would be no fun to commute from Hadley's in all but high summer. Falmouth may have slips.. Pocasset may have slips.. and I've know people to commute to WH from Marion. Best o' luck..
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 17:16   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Why does everyone keep mentioning parking? I'm pretty sure their plan is to drive their dinghy to work.
Unless they can anchor right in the immediate area a car will be necessary. Taking a dinghy across Vineyard Sound, Buzzards Bay or any adjacent waters is not an option. Most afternoons will see SW winds 15 kts often 20 kts with gust and seas that are rough in my 22' deep V power boat.
Old 07-03-2022, 17:18   #13

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Unless they can anchor right in the immediate area a car will be necessary. Taking a dinghy across Vineyard Sound, Buzzards Bay or any adjacent waters is not an option. Most afternoons will see SW winds 15 kts often 20 kts with gust and seas that are rough in my 22' deep V power boat.
Yeah, but that's the plan they are asking for opinions on. To anchor near where they'll work, which is on the water in the harbor.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 17:28   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If I was working at Woods Hole in an oceanographic capacity, I'd try and score some dock space at the institution itself. Seems worth asking...
Old 08-03-2022, 03:38   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Yeah, but that's the plan they are asking for opinions on. To anchor near where they'll work, which is on the water in the harbor.
And in case their preferred plan isn't possible, which might be the case, alternatives have been proposed which would require transportation beyond walking or dinghy and the issues around this have been mentioned.

Tags
anchor, wood