Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2022, 05:26   #1

Boat: Tayana V 42
Cruising the USVI

Headed to the USVI, but I am confused by the information that I have seen on the USVI site. I understand the Covid requirements on testing.
Can someone enlighten me the anchoring permit requirements.
I have sent questions to the DPNR but have got no response back.

Any guidance on what is needed would be apricated.

Thanks
Jim
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 06:44   #2

Re: Cruising the USVI

I don’t have personal experience there as our recent trips were land based (just trying to help), but what specifically is the question?

I just went to their site and it seems pretty simple. You need the proper permit and you need to anchor in approved areas if your doing long term anchoring. Short term anchoring is less than fourteen days total in USVI waters. Long term is fourteen days or more.

And of course you have to go through the Covid protocol.
leboyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 08:50   #3

We recently spent six weeks in the USVI. After reading conflicting reports about whether we needed to apply for an anchoring permit, I decided to go ahead and apply. I completed the form, including a picture of our boat, and sent it to the specified email address with a note that said I wasn’t sure whether I needed the permit or not. The lady responded that yes, I did need to apply for the permit.

That was the last I heard about it. Nobody followed up after that. No fee was requested.

A couple other things, when we cleared in, the last step was to show your green Q-code to a military person. My wife had hers on her phone and when it took me a minute or so looking for mine, the person said no problem, if your wife has it, I’m sure you do too.

Within a few days, we met a couple of sailors (US citizens) who never cleared in and had been there for months.

The biggest negative we experienced regarding COVID protocols was that we got tested in Puerto Rico, then had to rush through the Spanish Virgins to arrive in St. Thomas within 5 days.

One last item, if you’re old enough, get the Lifetime Senior National Park pass. The National Park moorings on St. John cost only $13 per night with the pass, instead of $26.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

We had the same experience as jibstay wrt the anchor permit. Short term permits are no longer required, only long term.

Talking to some locals we have heard that long term permits are required to anchor *in the same spot* for more than 2 weeks. If you move your boat this resets the clock.

We have just departed USVI for PR after staying there for 3 months, leaving and returning for another 2 months. Were never asked about anchoring permits or gotten any response to our application.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 15:04   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
Were never asked about anchoring permits or gotten any response to our application.
I know this is NOT a good answer, but could not resist an old quote:
"Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission".
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising