Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 22:43   #1321
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

My latest shoestring adventure revolved around finding something to put between the water tank at the pointy end of the v-berth and the mattress. Not an issue in summer. But condensation in winter caused the top of the tank to always be wet.

I looked at Armaflex insulation and Dri-DekŪ 1'x1' Interlocking tiles, but both were over $144 to do the area over the tank. As that exceeds my current savings, it was just not going to fly. Not at all.

But then I remembered about something I saw in the 99 cent store. I found a set of 10 1x1 foot interlocking tiles for $2 per set. They are closed cell foam and come in an assortment of Bright primary colors (see photo below).

As they will be below the mattress and appear to be made of similar material to the dri-dek pads, it should work pretty good. Added bonus is it doubles as toys for toddlers or very very bored sailors.

They would also work as foam inside a sunbrella cockpit cushions. The price is right anyway. So while the Folks with big bucks might buy Dry Dek or something similar, Poor sailors need to think a bit more out of the box.

So for a grand total of $4, a $140 savings over marine Dry Dek pads, I'm feeling pretty pleased. I now have a foam rubber mat that will keep the mattress away from the tank. The rubber mat should also keep condensate down a bit.

I still wear flip flops, even in winter. Though my monthly budget is now about $750 what with inflation and all. Though $120 of that is costs for software (Autocad) and internet so I can earn $$ from the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04408-002.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	136659  
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:19   #1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My latest shoestring adventure revolved around finding something to put between the water tank at the pointy end of the v-berth and the mattress. Not an issue in summer. But condensation in winter caused the top of the tank to always be wet.

I looked at Armaflex insulation and Dri-DekŪ 1'x1' Interlocking tiles, but both were over $144 to do the area over the tank. As that exceeds my current savings, it was just not going to fly. Not at all.

But then I remembered about something I saw in the 99 cent store. I found a set of 10 1x1 foot interlocking tiles for $2 per set. They are closed cell foam and come in an assortment of Bright primary colors (see photo below).

As they will be below the mattress and appear to be made of similar material to the dri-dek pads, it should work pretty good. Added bonus is it doubles as toys for toddlers or very very bored sailors.

They would also work as foam inside a sunbrella cockpit cushions. The price is right anyway. So while the Folks with big bucks might buy Dry Dek or something similar, Poor sailors need to think a bit more out of the box.

So for a grand total of $4, a $140 savings over marine Dry Dek pads, I'm feeling pretty pleased. I now have a foam rubber mat that will keep the mattress away from the tank. The rubber mat should also keep condensate down a bit.

I still wear flip flops, even in winter. Though my monthly budget is now about $750 what with inflation and all. Though $120 of that is costs for software (Autocad) and internet so I can earn $$ from the boat.
Great job! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this. Mind if I asked what dollar store location has it?
In the delta right now.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:41   #1323

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Great idea Sailorchic. And at that price you could add several layers to make a berth more comfortable.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 03:40   #1324
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

What a great idea! I've seen these on the floor in children's rooms and at child day care facilities, but never thought of their potential as a condensation barrier on the boat. Nancie has put this on our shopping list!
Old 23-11-2016, 05:32   #1325

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

This is a great idea. But be cautious and monitor the effects. The po of our boat used closed cell foam as locker liners (camp pads). Anywhere the foam was used was / is (because we haven't been at the boat to take care of it) full of black mold! I won't say "don't do it" because we don't know if they were using the foam to hide the mold or if the foam caused the mold.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:06   #1326

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

SailorChick, good find! I used tiles like yours to cover the air floor in my last dinghy. Inexpensive, colorful and easy to cut to shape. They lasted well. They did absorb dirt easily but that was out in the sun and under dirty shoes. They don't breathe so I'm not sure what effect they will have under your mattress. Perhaps some diy perforations would be worth considering?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:15   #1327

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Hmmm...Can you say cockpit cushions? Do they have any more?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:03   #1328

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grey-Anti-F...-21-in/3111467

These come in colors, as well.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:48   #1329

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Or how cool would these be for cockpit cushions...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:51   #1330

Boat: Rafiki 37

Great idea SC. Our fancy Bottomsider cockpit cushions are coming to the end of their lives. No way can I afford to replace them (came with the boat). But maybe I can make some new ones using these pads when the time comes.

Thanks .
Old 23-11-2016, 10:52   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thanks. I wonder if using the door mat here would be better? More of a grate. For ventilation?
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Bla...-36-in/3377248
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:06   #1332

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I think you're correct.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:07   #1333
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Great job! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this. Mind if I asked what dollar store location has it?
In the delta right now.
I found it in a 99 cent store up in the north bay. But Antioch has a 99 cent store so they should have it too. I generally do some of my grocery shopping at the 99 cent stores as they have good prices on some things and have a fair selection of groceries. Lettuce, bell peppers, canned meats, bread, pasta, etc. It's not good for everything but I can save 25 to 50 percent on many food items they do carry, compared to a "bargain" grocery store.

BTW Winco in pittsburg has GREAT prices on grocery's, if one shops carefully. It is by far my favorite one stop shop for grocery in the SF Bay area.
Old 23-11-2016, 11:15   #1334
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Thanks. I wonder if using the door mat here would be better? More of a grate. For ventilation?
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Bla...-36-in/3377248
My thought was to have a vapor barrier, using the pads that also add a bit of insulation which might help keep condensate from forming on the top of the tank. I'm more concerned with keeping any moisture away from the 8" foam mattress that has a delightful way of wicking up moisture in winter. Not to mention that oh so not delightful odur de jour.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:19   #1335

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

If you don't want the multi-colored ones, or if you can't find those locally, Harbor Freight has a 4 pack of 2'x2' interlocking industrial type floor mats for $6.99, but they go on sale a lot for $4.99. They're closed cell foam, and quite durable.

Tags
budget