Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 15:31   #1336

Boat: Still building
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

You could either add a 'grid' underneath as someone else suggested, to promoote ventilation., or DIY a 'grid' by cutting up and glueing strips of the same foam to the underside of tiles. Say 1" wide strips with 1-1/2" gaps between, or thereabouts.

The foam will prevent any condensation (which will still form) from evaporating so could in fact end up causing mould.

Unless you 'turn it out' on a weekly basis with hatches open and fan/breeze blowing to keep it aired properly.

But will be good as an 'experiment' for SC to monitor and report back if any mold, damp does eventuate.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 19:20   #1337

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

The idea behind the dri deck style tiles is to allow a area to ventilate between the mattress and the bunk wood/vinyl etc. this is because your body heat warms the mattress while the water temp/hull temp causes a thermal boundary resulting in condensation. Just adding padding will not fix the condensation. As long as u glue ribs to the padding to create the same vapor areas to breathe you can use the pads We found and fixed that problem the first winter on boat.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 20:45   #1338
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I actually understand much about vapor barriers. I have that engineering thingy going for me. I am not sure if the foam rubber mat will offer enough insulation with one layer to insulate the tank top for the air. So I'll be experimenting with it.

As the water tank is basically at the water line. In winter when the boat sits in 45 degree water, leaving an air space over the tank will not prevent moisture from condensing at the tank top, as the top temperature will be below dew point. As such water will condense from the air specially with an air space. My water tank is actually part of the hull, glassed in with a EPA coating inside. That it is part of the hull, exacerbates the condensation issue

My intent is to install a first layer of solid rubber mat as that will provide roughly an R-1 insulation value and a vapor barrier. I suspect I might have to part with another $4 to add a second layer for an R-2 value. All I need is to have the top of the mat be above dew point temperature to prevent condensation.

That's my thought anyway.

We will zee, when ve do zee experiment (said in my best Dr. Strangelove voice).
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 23:13   #1339
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

What you ideally want is airflow above the V-berth platform but under the mattress. As long as the mattress sits on the bunk top there will be condensation at the interface.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:36   #1340

When we had our Gemini, we were getting condensation under the master berth. The cushion rests on the solid glass bridgedeck, nothing under it but the outside. We put the rubber interlocking pads from Costco under the bunk, never a drop of condensation again.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:06   #1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I found it in a 99 cent store up in the north bay. But Antioch has a 99 cent store so they should have it too. I generally do some of my grocery shopping at the 99 cent stores as they have good prices on some things and have a fair selection of groceries. Lettuce, bell peppers, canned meats, bread, pasta, etc. It's not good for everything but I can save 25 to 50 percent on many food items they do carry, compared to a "bargain" grocery store.

BTW Winco in pittsburg has GREAT prices on grocery's, if one shops carefully. It is by far my favorite one stop shop for grocery in the SF Bay area.
Great recommendations, thanks SC! I bet you're not a regular shopper at Lira's - ha!
I too am a regular shopper of the good ol' $.99 Store. You do have to read the labels. I bought some trash picker sticks to clean up trash by dinghy "contains lead, may create exposure when wet" But overall some decent stuff, particularly little organizational things or materials/tools like zipties to cheap eyeglass kits. When 08 happened the first thing put of my mouth was - time invest in $.99 stores and low cost, high yield vineyards!

Perhaps the cheapest and most delicious outing by boat on the Delta, to date was at Spindrifts. During the summer at least, on Sundays they were doing homemade chicken and dumplings, family recipe, for about $7? Free guest docking for dinner too.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 16:37   #1342

Boat: Still building

Quote:
My intent is to install a first layer of solid rubber mat as that will provide roughly an R-1 insulation value and a vapor barrier. I suspect I might have to part with another $4 to add a second layer for an R-2 value. All I need is to have the top of the mat be above dew point temperature to prevent condensation.

We will zee, when ve do zee experiment (said in my best Dr. Strangelove voice).

Some good engineering thinking there, SC. Suspect you may be right.

Am planning to insulate the interior of my tri as I build it, so will be following your experiments with interest.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 16:52   #1343
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Great recommendations, thanks SC! I bet you're not a regular shopper at Lira's - ha!
I have shopped Lira's in the past, but they are a bit pricey. Good in a pinch, but Boy they are spendy. But a bargin compaired to Molly Stones in Sausolito's. Lira's does deliver to the boat for $5 which is sweet. Just call in your order the day before and they will deliver to the delta marina with in a time period the next day. Only problem is they sometime select a more expensive item then what one called out. OUCH.

The best prices for grocery's in the Delta is at winco, just off highway 4 in pittburg. of course that takes a taxi ride, for me anyway with 8 ish bags of groceries for 2-3 weeks. Even factoring a taxi ride, it's still way cheaper then Lira's.

I really don't eat out much. Even $7 for a meal is a tad high for me. I'm in the $2 a meal bracket. Lots of cooking on the boat.
Old 26-11-2016, 10:39   #1344

Quote:
I have shopped Lira's in the past, but they are a bit pricey. Good in a pinch, but Boy they are spendy. But a bargin compaired to Molly Stones in Sausolito's. Lira's does deliver to the boat for $5 which is sweet. Just call in your order the day before and they will deliver to the delta marina with in a time period the next day. Only problem is they sometime select a more expensive item then what one called out. OUCH.

The best prices for grocery's in the Delta is at winco, just off highway 4 in pittburg. of course that takes a taxi ride, for me anyway with 8 ish bags of groceries for 2-3 weeks. Even factoring a taxi ride, it's still way cheaper then Lira's.

I really don't eat out much. Even $7 for a meal is a tad high for me. I'm in the $2 a meal bracket. Lots of cooking on the boat.
Oh man, Molly Stones, yes that has got to be one of the most expensive in the bay. Very cool about Lira's delivery. Great tip.
Yep, $2 for a go out meal is tough. That doesn't leave you a lot of options, except fast food? You probably make better meals onboard than most restaurants anyhow!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 20:26   #1345

Boat: Santana 20

A while back on this thread, someone posted about a cheap alternative to nautical weather gear">foul weather gear. Does anybody remember the product? I can't find the post via the search function.
funcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:14   #1346

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrew View Post
A while back on this thread, someone posted about a cheap alternative to nautical foul weather gear. Does anybody remember the product? I can't find the post via the search function.
I don't know about the other post but I've had good luck with dry Rider. they're made for motorcyclists and usually don't come with a hood but they're very lightweight and I've had a set last for years driving my motorcycle in the rain and using it on my boat. Mine had a zipper and a double strip of Velcro and the pants where waist high and didn't have a fly which I think is very good.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:24   #1347
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A while back on this thread, someone posted about a cheap alternative to nautical foul weather gear. Does anybody remember the product? I can't find the post via the search function.

Search on Grundens. That is what the commercial guys wear.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:27   #1348

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Grudens are very tough. They're also heavy , good for cold weather not so much for warm.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:38   #1349
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

See if there is an Army surplus store nearby, that gear is usually very good and cheap
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:39   #1350
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Grudens are very tough. They're also heavy , good for cold weather not so much for warm.
They also make really good light weight gear
https://www.outdoorequipped.com/prod...FYJ8fgodboQD0w

Tags
budget