Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 06:54   #61

Re: Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

Perhaps you could use a mooring, but it seems that the minimum boat sized allowed is 26 feet.

The City of Redondo Beach has developed a transient vessel mooring infrastructure to attract recreational boaters and to provide a safe haven for those vessels caught in unfriendly boating conditions. The mooring field will create safe mooring facilities for recreational transient boats with a minimum length of 26 feet and a maximum length of 60 feet. By promoting the availability of these mooring facilities, the City intends to increase recreational opportunities and realize related economic benefits.

There are three different sizes of moorings. The smallest moorings will accommodate vessels up to 40’ in length. The next size up will accommodate vessels up to 50’ in length, and the largest mooring will accommodate vessels no greater than 60’ in length. Vessels longer than 60’ may not be moored in the transient vessel mooring field. Each mooring point in the mooring field is comprised of a two point securing system. Instruction in the intended use of these mooring points, if necessary, is available through the Office of the Redondo Beach Marina. In general, the moorings are available for use by vessels transiting the coast and which may be visiting, replenishing supplies, seeking refuge from inclement weather, or other activities associated with recreational use.

All moorings are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum time allowed for mooring field usage is seven (7) days in a thirty (30) day period, by any vessel and by any owner or operator. Mooring fees are daily to weekly rates, established by official action of the Redondo Beach City Council and may be revised from time to time. These rates are for each day’s use of the mooring, or any portion of a day after posted checkout times. In general, rates are based on the size of the mooring occupied by the vessel. Currently, daily mooring rates are as follows: 40' max: $24.00; 50' max: $30.00; 60' max: $36.00.

Requests for mooring space may be made in advance by calling the Redondo Beach Marina at (310) 374-3481 during normal business hours or by calling (310) 345-5676 during weekends or by hailing ch.5 on VHF radio. Vessel operators may also forward a reservation request electronically to the marina office @rbinfo.com. Moorings are not considered reserved until the appropriate fee has been paid. Applicants in excess of capacity may be waitlisted. The Office of the Redondo Beach Marina or its representatives is not responsible for ensuring available space. Check-in is permitted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Moorings must be vacated no later than 12:00 p.m. on the last day of the permitted stay.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:10   #62

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Thanks Montanan. I didn't realize how long it's been since I was there. I couldn't have been more than three or four years . I don't remember moorings and fees.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:19   #63

Its not a big harbor. They have to be strict or every wanna be would abandon there boats or let them go derelic there. The private marinas and yacht clubs can let almost anybody they want in. Thats not “ libs” its common sense. Sometimes we have to sacrifice.
Old 24-05-2019, 09:54   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
Thanks Montanan. I didn't realize how long it's been since I was there. I couldn't have been more than three or four years . I don't remember moorings and fees.
I would think that a smaller boat should be allowed to be moored, don't understand the reason to have a 25 foot minimum.

I've never been to Redondo's harbor, I just Googled to find out if there were anchor or mooring facilities in Kings Harbor. It has been a long, long time since I have been down in SoCal. Grew up in the SF Bay Area and worked on the Peninsula for 14 years before migrating to the Last Best Place, Montaña.

Loads of people in SoCal and not many harbors or protective anchorages. Must be very hard to get a slip, especially in the summer. But then SoCal doesn't really have a winter.

Heck even the marinas up here on Flathead Lake are typically leased full for the season but there are some public docks one could use for a short period and it is easy to find spectacular, secluded anchorages, or just drive the sailboat up hard onto a protected beach for a stay. Big alpine water, few if any boats. Yet I miss sailing in the SF Bay and trips along the coast of California.
Old 24-05-2019, 10:16   #65

I've had my boats in LA and Ventura for 7-8 years and have never had a problem getting a visitor slip or mooring, from Long beach to San Francisco except holidays at Catalina.
Old 24-05-2019, 15:19   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think people just like to blame 'the libs' for everything without really understanding anything about who/what 'the libs' are, it's just a catch-all boogieman term for anything they don't agree with.

South Cal marinas do suck though. I tried staying in Oxnard - I tied up, went in and tried to check in at the office with all my papers, but was unable to do so as the staff insisted I had to do it through the website. I explained to the marina staff I had no internet data on my phone as I was from Canada, and asked if I could use their wi-fi - they said I couldn't as I wasn't a guest yet... talk about a catch 22.

After a half an hour wandering around looking for a free wi-fi spot so I could check in, I gave up and went to the other marina (which wanted to charge me a 27USD non-refundable charge for a keycard so I could use the washrooms! So I went without, while paying 1.25USD per foot for the privilege).

The problem is I think there isn't really much choice and a lot of boats down there, so the marinas there can pretty much do whatever they want.

The smaller commercial fishing marinas in north cal and above were a lot more friendly (and a ton cheaper with washrooms you could actually use)
Old 24-05-2019, 16:21   #67

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I'm pretty sure you can anchor inside the marina across from the Harbormaster dock. I think its still free for three days. I love going to King's harbor to visit my brother. and getting breakfast at Polly's on the pier but It is smack in the middle of L.A. county and a very desirable uppity area. I'll bet the waiting list for a slip is 10 years. I've heard they don't have guest or transient slips but the yacht club might accommodate visitors.
Hey, have to say that Polly's does a great breakfast, I used to be a flight attendant with Qantas and for years we were accommodated at the hotel across the road, great location, used to get there a couple of times a month.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 16:38   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
At $19+ per ft I'd look quickly somewhere else for a slip.
$250.00 a month extra for liveaboard, minimum 30 ft boat.
Tells me their just not worthy of your beautiful vessel and enthusiasm.
Screw em
The picture tells the story.

Or so goes the song.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port royal.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	192637  
Old 24-05-2019, 17:46   #69

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
My marina has a rule, no boats under 50K in value. That said, I see this rule "bent" all the time. Might be worth talking to the manager in charge and showing that person what a properly cared for boat looks like. Yours undoubtedly looks better than a lot of the newer boats.

Just tell ‘me you’ll sell it to them for $80k.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 18:06   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Years ago -2004- I shipped my loved 35ft wood ketch to a boatyard in Tampa Bay, when it arrived I was told they wouldn't unload it because it was wood. Had to scramble to find a decenter place and pay truck a days demurrage.The whole world is unfair! And I am not a democrat.
FL ? Did you show your maga hat?
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 18:17   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Make America grate again?
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 19:50   #72

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I have had insurance companies discriminate. My 1979 built Roberts took some doing to get coverage. Some companies didn't want to insure the boat due to age. Some, due to size. Some were okay with one or the other but not both. My marina doesn't care. Lots of 60s and 70s boats. If they are insured ($300k) with the marina as also insured, and have a proper head, and can move to the pumpout station every month under their own power, you are good to live aboard. As for transient berths, I think they are even more lax.They might have a stay limit, and transient berths are limited, but only because the marina stays about 99.9% full.

Very short sighted, going just by age, but my legal opinion is it is their perogative. Not that I am a lawyer LOL.
Old 24-05-2019, 20:56   #73
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mia Noi View Post
I sail a 1978 Catalina 22 which I fully overhauled, rebuilt and refitted new hardware in 2015.

I tried to book a guest slip at Port Royal Marina in King Harbor (Redondo Beach Ca.) for the Memorial Day Weekend. I emailed my insurance details, registration and a photo of my Catalina 22 to the Port Royal Marina Office Manager.

The Manager replied quote:
"Good Morning,

I am sorry but we cannot rent you due to the year of your vessel. We only rent guest slips to vessels that are 1990 or newer."

Anyone else had this happen to them? They are providing a service but discriminating against age. Isn't that illegal? Or does it only apply to a living thing?

I can only assume they want to keep their marina gentrified with newer boats or keep financially strapped liveaboards from setting down roots.

If it's an issue with Port Royal Marina's insurance - that only covers boats newer than 1990, then say that. Don't discriminate against older boats.

I'm proud of my small boat. Small boats make good sailors and I plan to keep on sailing her until I can afford a bigger one, or the wife lets my sell the house so we can go Cruising!
Apparently kings harbour manager is an a-hole now or you got someone having a bad day.

iv'e heard from a friend who used to have a slip in kings harbour that they are not so friendly anymore. not surprising considering their proximity to Manhattan Beach and the fact they have been trying to clean up the local area i guess including the marina.

we are seeing the same up here in MDR. it seems all corporate/high- rise/gentrified now but there are still a few cool managers/dock masters with slightly lax rules. regardless...they are definately all becoming much more strict in general.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 22:23   #74

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

as an FYI my very old boat, which has been in (nearly) the same slip since '65, is still apparently welcome in Channel Islands harbor (Oxnard), and there are available slips in my particular marina, and my insurance is $186 a year. Now to move a boat in from another marina or harbor you'll need a survey first, but I think that is true just about everywhere.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 04:33   #75

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Their Application Procedure for Guest Slips are clearly stated on their website. They do seem to be discerning, albeit the liability limits seems low.

Application Procedures

1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or a copy of the bill of sale in the name of the person applying for the slip.

2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.

3. A current color photograph of vessel

4. A credit report will be required and run on the applicant

5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
That seems to be a rather onerous list of requirements for an overnight slip! Seriously a credit report? WIth all those requirements I would imagine that they have very few transient "guests". All I've ever been asked for ( for a transient slip) is my Credit card and occasionally (rarely) insurance information!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, west coast