Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 06:20   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Sailboat Age Discrimination - West Coast Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
That seems to be a rather onerous list of requirements for an overnight slip! Seriously a credit report? WIth all those requirements I would imagine that they have very few transient "guests". All I've ever been asked for ( for a transient slip) is my Credit card and occasionally (rarely) insurance information!
My thoughts exactly. If someone presented me with this silly list of demands just so I could tie up for a few days, I’d first think they were pulling a gag, or making a joke. After realizing this was serious, I’d definitely look elsewhere. Clearly this is a business that doesn’t need more (or my) business.

It’s their business. I have no right to the use of a private dock. And they can run things the way they think is best. The messages are clear — from both sides.
Old 25-05-2019, 07:30   #77

Boat: Aloha 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mia Noi View Post
The Manager replied quote:
"Good Morning,

I am sorry but we cannot rent you due to the year of your vessel. We only rent guest slips to vessels that are 1990 or newer."
By simply using the age of your boat and nothing else, the marina is probably trying to "class up" the place with newer boats. But, if that's their intent, it's a stupid way to do it.

This is the America's Cup boat American Eagle, built in 1964. Would that marina deny entry to this boat based on age?

Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 07:34   #78

There are a couple of factors that are in play here...
1. The waiting list for a monthly slip rental there is indeed years, and this is your only choice other than Marina Del Rey in the entire Santa Monica Bay.
2. The same very nice harbor, but on the south end, also hosts a quirky little row of poop-covered derelict boats with a couple of barely-floating liveaboards and several deflated poop-covered dinghies that the seals call home. This is the tiny "Redondo Beach Marina", and every patron of the restaurants and shops along the "International Boardwalk" get to enjoy the smells and sights of decay.
One would guess that the Port Royal owners might be extra sensitive to the sad stinky state of their neighbor. (to be fair, the two fish markets add to the smell)
On the bright side, you can get a guest side-tie or mooring in this little marina for about $30, if I recall correctly... and you are a few steps from cold drinks in any direction.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 10:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
By simply using the age of your boat and nothing else, the marina is probably trying to "class up" the place with newer boats. But, if that's their intent, it's a stupid way to do it.

This is the America's Cup boat American Eagle, built in 1964. Would that marina deny entry to this boat based on age?

Perhaps, but only upon review of a recent satisfactory survey; ya got to be careful about the quality of construction and maintenance of a 55 year old, mahogany woodhull, chartered, daysailer. But it did have an engine added so it doesn't have to be towed in and out of the marina.

There could be a leaky teaky under the red coat.

FYI. It is apparently for sale or can be chartered, but I suspect not as a bareboat. https://sparkmanstephens.com/12-mete...-eagle-market/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 13:14   #80
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
If the owner is famous, powerful or wealthy enough, exceptions can usually be made, even for an eccentric in a cockleshell.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 05:17   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Perhaps, but only upon review of a recent satisfactory survey; ya got to be careful about the quality of construction and maintenance of a 55 year old, mahogany woodhull, chartered, daysailer. But it did have an engine added so it doesn't have to be towed in and out of the marina.

There could be a leaky teaky under the red coat.

FYI. It is apparently for sale or can be chartered, but I suspect not as a bareboat. https://sparkmanstephens.com/12-mete...-eagle-market/
And similar boats are so rare...losing their business isn't a big issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 04:36   #82

Boat: Bristol 26'

I have learned from many business dealings that there are two sides to a transaction and it is best to view the prospect from the otherside before completing the assessment of your side of a transaction. - Montanan

This is excellent advice for anyone in business or doing business. Mutual benefit is the goal but not always possible, as in this case.
Old 29-05-2019, 18:15   #83

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Curious, is there anything this stupid in the Washington State and BC? I've never run into anything so restrictive. I have as I said earlier in the RV world, but again in the southern areas of the states, not that much up in the northern area.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 23:20   #84

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fewer boats; greater freedom. Be happy, eh?

Ann
Old 30-05-2019, 01:04   #85
cruiser

The story is always the same, a few abuse the system, and generosity of the transient dock, which then ruins it for responsible boat owners like the OP. All it takes is for one junk heap to show up, overstay, create a hassle and then not pay to end up with a rules change.

Good luck to the OP, we had a boat just like his in Newport Harbor back in the 1980’s.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 06:39   #86

Boat: Express 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Their Application Procedure for Guest Slips are clearly stated on their website. They do seem to be discerning, albeit the liability limits seems low.

Application Procedures

1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or a copy of the bill of sale in the name of the person applying for the slip.

2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.

3. A current color photograph of vessel

4. A credit report will be required and run on the applicant

5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.
No one night marina stay is worth all that.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:13   #87

Boat: Endeavour37A & Hunter23

If anyone can explain the berth rental rules at St. Petersburg Municipal, or a good reason for them, I would like to understand better.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:16   #88

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner

Just another example of dirt scratchers limiting our ability to pursue our dreams.
GA just passed a law that says you must buy a permit to anchor in GA!
WTF!
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:27   #89

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

make a copy of you insurance and registation and change the age of your boat to 1995
I have never had insurance on my boat I give them a fake one from my auto insurance..change it to boat insurance..when I am getting the screws put too me I return the favor..I am not paying $10,000 a year for insurance..never will...nobody have ever asked for an original...I am self insured..have money in the bank if I ever tap a boat...I will pay out of my own pocket
I have saved $60,000
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:31   #90

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Simple solution.....
LIE about the boat's age.

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, west coast