Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Poll closed, see alternate thread
Poll 0 0%
Closed 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 04:31   #46

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Poll on dock water supply failures

Actually Ann, I asked where I should have asked originally, the webmaster. He told me how to do it, and like most computer operations, it’s dead-easy when you know how.
The response has been somewhat underwhelming so far—like two, but time will tell.
It would seem those who do have dockside water hoses, (and there are plenty in my marina, which allows live aboards), don’t want to admit to having no fail-safe device, or don’t feel the need for one.
I can only say I hope their luck holds up, because mine didn’t and it cost me about $600 in repairs.
I just asked a simple question when starting this post, but it has developed into an interesting discussion.
I now have my dock water reconnected, with an automatic fail-safe shut-off valve. But another remedy, and the cheapest, (apart from not having it connected at all of course), is a notice I’ve stuck on the companionway doors saying, “shut the #@!^*% faucet off when you leave!”

C'est la vie
Old 03-08-2015, 04:56   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A simple way to help prevent a catastrophe is a simple garden water "timer", they are actually flow meters and shut off the water when a pre-set volume is reached. I doubt that say 300 gls would sink any of us, so set one for 300 gls or some other volume you think safe.
Of course you would have to re-set the thing every time you used 300 gls.

My boat doesn't have a dockside connection, and I don't want one.
I think the post about the washer hose causing the most water damage is exactly correct, followed I believe closely by the ice maker hose for the freezer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:03   #48

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
"According to State Farm Insurance Statistics, washing machine hose failures cause approximately $170 million in damages to homes in the United States & Canada. The true figure may be even higher, as this amount accounts for reported claims only."
Can't find similar data on boat sinkings due to leaks but intuitively, the losses due pressure water failures is probably trivial by comparison.

Rhetorical question - if anyone wants an objective survey, why not ask how many people are afraid of pressure house water? Do these same people also shut off their water at home every time they leave?
Let's see who the first is to point out that "houses don't sink" but ignores the much greater potential for vastly more expensive repairs to residential property.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:49   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do not turn off the water in my house, but did go to the SS braided hoses for the washing machine after hearing it was the number 1 reason for insurance claims for water damage. My house cannot operate autonomously, it has no water tank, but my boat can.
Boats and houses are of course different, and I doubt a water leak in a house is nearly as catastrophic as a boat sinking, assuming of course it's your home?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those that live in Marina's, you would think a high water alarm with an external siren would not be a bad idea? Alert the neighbors?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:05   #51

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do not turn off the water in my house, but did go to the SS braided hoses for the washing machine after hearing it was the number 1 reason for insurance claims for water damage. My house cannot operate autonomously, it has no water tank, but my boat can.
Boats and houses are of course different, and I doubt a water leak in a house is nearly as catastrophic as a boat sinking, assuming of course it's your home?
Most homes and condos I am aware of have a water heater, i.e., tank. Many inside the house or above another condo. As the avg boat value is substantially less than that of a house/condo, "catastrophic" is a relative term.

My point is that polls such as this are like many - they fail to be objective and inclusive.

It makes no difference to me what anyone does with/on their boat. Just trying to point out the obvious.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:09   #52

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I agree...have been in the salvage business for 13 years/USCG 23 years and never had or heard of a boat sinking from the fresh water hose....though I am sure there are some.

I had a run for 2 years of water heater hoses break due to bad hose....At any rate, I had them go in the middle of the night and never had a high water alarm as the small bilge pump kept up just fine.

The sprinkler volume regulators are great and I have used them for 2 liveaboards...but they are very freeze intolerant....another option is a latching solenoid valve to your high water alarm...which I plan to also connect to a latching relay that will shut down my air conditioner pump...another potential sinker system.

But both systems well maintained are less likely to ruin your boat than an electrical fire in my experience.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:53   #53

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
A simple way to help prevent a catastrophe is a simple garden water "timer"...
Quote:
For those that live in Marina's, you would think a high water alarm with an external siren would not be a bad idea? Alert the neighbors?
Relying on some cheap automatic feature, or your neighbors, to prevent your boat from sinking is simply wrong.

Shut the damned water off.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:37   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I.E. hot water heaters in a house.
I have three, all are on ground level and sit in a pan with a drain. It's not if a hotwater heater will spring a leak, it's when, and I have seen significant damage to a house when people put them in the attic.
Point is they can be managed, most things can
For the record, I don't have a hose connection on my boat, don't believe in them, but just like the house hot water heater, I believe a hose connections's dangers can be mitigated, just like propane on a boat can.
I've seen a boat almost sunk on my dock at my Marina in Panama City, from the fresh water supply, and it was a liveaboard neighbor that saved it, by alerting the Marina.
Now my Bilge pump is a Rule 1300, and it pumps way more water than a garden hose, so it would take this pump to quit before you could sink my boat, but in that case your one bad switch, burnt out pump, dead battery away from sinking?
Your probably way more likely to sink from a thru-hull, but you need to ensure those are up to snuff too.
I know I should close all my thru-hulls when I leave the boat, but I don't.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:48   #55

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
another option is a latching solenoid valve to your high water alarm...which I plan to also connect to a latching relay that will shut down my air conditioner pump...another potential sinker system.
This is what I have done, and the latching relay will also close down the AC pump in the event any failure activates the float.

By the way, how did we get from me asking if anyone could help setting up a poll, to discussions about house water heaters?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
............with an automatic fail-safe shut-off valve.

...saying, “shut the #@!^*% faucet off when you leave!”

Are these two things one & the same?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
\

By the way, how did we get from me asking if anyone could help setting up a poll, to discussions about house water heaters?
Via those well known paths of logic and analogy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:53   #58

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Now my Bilge pump is a Rule 1300, and it pumps way more water than a garden hose
You might want to rethink that before you sink your boat. Rule rates their pump flows in gallons per hour at zero discharge head, which is way more water than they pump in real life.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 13:13   #59

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Relying on some cheap automatic feature, or your neighbors, to prevent your boat from sinking is simply wrong.

Shut the damned water off.
Cheap but they work dan near flawlessly (just not after freezing nights as some do suffer freeze damage very easily)..and I do turn off the water when I leave the boat for more than a few hours....the timer is just a good backup if you are smart.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 13:26   #60

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Campers have the same issue. I very seldom turn off the water but I know I should. I had one hose break but it was outside the camper. If I am going to be gone for days to weeks I do turn off the water. But never to go to dinner or to run errands. Of course my camper will not sink.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, poll, water