Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 15:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Windlass Purchase Misery

I bought a new 12volt windlass through Quick USA on Ebay. The unit arrived with a 24volt solenoid.
When I called Quick, Monica (customer service) responded “We haven’t had any 12volt solenoids for weeks”. So what did they think I’d do with a 24volt unit ? I asked that they ship me the correct unit and after whinniing about the trouble with international (Canada) sales she agreed to send the correct unit.
I asked Monica to make sure that the shipment was marked as “Warranty” so I would not have to pay duty, sales tax and customs brokerage fees, she said she would.

Naturally the unit arrived in Canada without the “Warranty” ID so I had to pay these fees all over again.
I called Monica and asked that Quick USA refund me for these costs. Monica insisted that the paperwork was marked properly and it was not her problem and she would not be doing anymore international sales. I then emailed her a copy of the paperwork showing she was wrong. They now refuse to respond to my emails and have not refunded the costs of their inefficiency.

I don’t buy from people like this twice.
Old 31-07-2015, 15:29   #2

Boat: Newport 28
re: Windlass Purchase Misery

I know it's after the fact, and that's a hassle to have dealt with - you have my sympathy for that. But were there any reviews on them or their products that would've/should've raised any red flags?
Old 31-07-2015, 15:52   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Sorry, to learn of your problems with Quick USA. I purchased a Quick windlass from them 3 years ago, and I had a very good experience with the purchase and support. Of course, then they were just entering the US market and were offering a lot of deals (including free shipping). I did need to use their support during the installation and they were very responsive.

Things may not be going that well for their attempts to gain a foothold in the North American market, and they clearly need to have an adult answer the support hotline.

On the plus side, my Quick Hector windlass is an excellent product and has worked very well for me. Hopefully your experience with the product, if not the service, will be the same.

John
Old 31-07-2015, 16:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I know it's after the fact, and that's a hassle to have dealt with - you have my sympathy for that. But were there any reviews on them or their products that would've/should've raised any red flags?
No, they had a 100% rating on Ebay and when I tried to leave a negative rating the site wouldn't let me. Don't know why ... I'm not too savvy with that stuff
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53   #5

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Thumbs up re: Windlass Purchase Misery

Hmmm,

I ordered the wrong colour material from Sailrite, what service, Audrey walked me through the return, issued a credit and got the replacement colour sent.

Another very satisfied customer

Bill
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

I replaced my 11 year old windlass with a Lewmar pro series 1000. Within a year, the unit froze and was replaced with a new unit while still under warranty. The new unit again froze up, this time in its 3rd year. After calling Lemar tech support I was advised the unit was out of warranty. I disassembled the unit to find there was water intrusion resulting in a completely rusted out unit . Tech support informed me there was design flaw and a gasket was incorporated in to the new design. Unable to install a new unit due to health reasons, I had a new Lemar professionally installed . The only problem was he installed amother faulty designed unit the he purchased from a national distributor. I called Lemar once again and was informed the new unit was covered under warranty but advised I should Uninstall each year and send it to the closest Lemar repair facility located in NJ. For annual serice. I'm in RI. Needless to say, with that attitude towards customers in terms of support and product quality, I would stay away from Lemar windlass products, despite the brand.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29   #7

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

This might sound cruel to some seller ; If you have a bad buying experience on ebay give them a very bad rating right away or you wont be able to at a later date. If and only if you receive satisfaction change it . And make sure you change it. I've had the same happen to me ( cant leave a poor rating ) i think its after you start a case against a seller.
But this is only my opinion !
Old 01-08-2015, 10:05   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom145 View Post
I replaced my 11 year old windlass with a Lewmar pro series 1000. Within a year, the unit froze and was replaced with a new unit while still under warranty. The new unit again froze up, this time in its 3rd year. After calling Lemar tech support I was advised the unit was out of warranty. I disassembled the unit to find there was water intrusion resulting in a completely rusted out unit . Tech support informed me there was design flaw and a gasket was incorporated in to the new design. Unable to install a new unit due to health reasons, I had a new Lemar professionally installed . The only problem was he installed amother faulty designed unit the he purchased from a national distributor. I called Lemar once again and was informed the new unit was covered under warranty but advised I should Uninstall each year and send it to the closest Lemar repair facility located in NJ. For annual serice. I'm in RI. Needless to say, with that attitude towards customers in terms of support and product quality, I would stay away from Lemar windlass products, despite the brand.
MY COMMENT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH EBAY BUT THE POOR PRODUCT QUALITY OF THE LEWMAR WINDLASS AND THEIR CAVALIER TECH SUPPORT RESPONSE. IN FACT, the unit was unknowling purchased by my mechanic through a " national distributor" of marine retail products.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:22   #9

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

Shipping international (Canada) is a PIA, I understand why they refuse to ship outside US, I did it a couple of times (ebay sales) and decided it was not worth the aggravation. One shipment was return due to lack of duty payment, it was paid they just mixed up the paperwork and it cost me money to re ship (over $100). I will not buy out of Canada ether for the same reason and I am a Canadian living in the states. If I buy something in Canada I have it shipped to a local address (Brothers house) and drive up and get it, so it has to be one hellofa deal.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:17   #10
hlk

Leave a review in Active Captain eBoat Cards. It stays there, is specific to the particular vendor and is viewed a lot. Just suggesting.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:21   #11

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I would like to thank Boat Poker for starting this thread. I was strongly considering getting a Quick windlass (love that motor cover), but with that kind of service, I'll avoid them. We were always happy with our Lofrans units, so I guess we'll stick with them on the new build.

I don't have much experience shipping to Canada, since I'm nearly always the receiver, but when my shippers are willing to use Fedex, or usps, there's never a problem.

UPS: well, I haven't anything good to say about their brokerage, or shipping in Canada, so I'll stop here. Just big PITA.

I'm surprised to read that Irwin37 had problems with duties, I always have to pay duties on this side of the border. And if I didn't pay, and it was returned to sender, I know my suppliers would never re-send it to me. Good onya Irwin37, you must be a very nice fellow. Sorry for your troubles.

Again, I just want to thank Boat poker for his "review" of Quick's service, or lack thereof.

Cheers.
Paul.

PS, if you need more "quick" parts, Mermaid Marine is a Canadian distributor, and they're a very customer service oriented company.

I am not affiliated, but a very happy customer of Mermaid Marine's.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Did you pay with a credit card? If so protest the charge.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No, they had a 100% rating on Ebay and when I tried to leave a negative rating the site wouldn't let me. Don't know why ... I'm not too savvy with that stuff
Sadly I've tried to leave negative feedback for a EBay vendor on three different occasions and every time the negative comment vanished from their review. Just like the Yelp ratings....so to are the eBay ratings mostly bogus!

On international shipping, if you know what you are doing and use a company like DHL (which has their own customs brokers in Country) then its a piece of cake. Don't know what you are doing and its just a matter of time before you lose your ass and more importantly have a unhappy customer on your hands, which me is worse than losing my ass on a sale.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:56   #14

Squawk to eBay. They usually will help you take care of problems like this.
Old 01-08-2015, 14:22   #15

Boat: ODAY 28

yes, how did you pay for the unit, if you used a credit card, or pay pal they will ussally back you up and get a refund. worth a try, and yes give them a bad rating on e-bay.....
Closed Thread

Tags
wind, windlass