Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 04:50   #106

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Alcohol consumption whilst at anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yes but I am sure that with all our new found liberalism sodomy and the lash are coming back into fashion.
Quite so. Only now the above are vices. Sinful pleasures just like rum.
If you want to punish folks anymore, all you need to do is to look at them in a manner which "hurts" them. Or speak harshly while in their presence. Just ask the students who had Cry-In's after the election, & feared for their lives simply due to watching the news.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:27   #107

Boat: islandpacket

If we used common sense we wouldn't need any laws. If the only bad things that happened, happened to the perpetrator, darwin wins. But things don't work like that. Laws are made after the fact. People act stupid and wonder why the cops show up. Some just cant figure this out.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:43   #108

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We've been cruising in Australian waters much of the time since 1992. Never been boarded. Never been questioned by floating authorities, except about our dinghy which, being a tender to an international yacht, does not display Australian rego numbers.

I dunno what markJ did to attract so much attention... must be his aura!

Jim
Perhaps nothing about Oz surprised me as much as how highly regulated everything is - not just on the water but off. Everywhere you look there were signs saying what you are not allowed to do and how much the fine is for doing whatever. Based on the character of the Aussies I had met over the years I thought the country would be free and easy. I was wrong.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:03   #109

Boat: Nonsuch 30

[QUOTE=donradcliffe;2270138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post

You may think we don't know, but not only do Canadians talk funny and dress funny, but THEIR BOAT HAS THIS FLAG WITH A MAPLE LEAF HANGING FROM THE STARBOARD SPREADER.
The places where I have sailed this would indicate a foreign boat visiting Canada. Now a Canuck flag on the non-pointy end of the boat would be something else - and what have you got against toques anyway?
Old 02-12-2016, 17:56   #110

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Perhaps nothing about Oz surprised me as much as how highly regulated everything is - not just on the water but off. Everywhere you look there were signs saying what you are not allowed to do and how much the fine is for doing whatever. Based on the character of the Aussies I had met over the years I thought the country would be free and easy. I was wrong.
Yep us Aussies are changing and not for the better. Another generation of this nanny state stuff and you wont recognize us. Our kids no longer think for themselves in far too many instances. We dont even allow cheering and clapping in our schools as it can get some kids too excited. Instead they make "happy faces" and silent high 5s. Really.

Good mate that was high up in QLD bureaucracy admitted to me over a few beers at anchor one day (naughty werent we?) that these days most of the bureaucrats policy work is tied up in oiling the squeaky wheels ie the vocal small interest groups. Whole departments invest thousands on man hours in nanny state affairs.

No its not the lawyers that are thriving its the public servants and they are hungry for the next issue to justify their ever increasing budgets.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:05   #111

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Let me get this right.
So two people on a boat anchored in the bay. One passed out drunk and the other stone sober. Sober guy (gal?) figures a spot of coffee would be good when the drunk wakes up and jumps in the dingy to pick some up at the marina.
Water patrol come by and wakes the snoozing sop with a welcoming DUI arrest. Coffee samaritan comes back to empty boat.
Far fetched? Not nearly as ridiculous as taking my 5yo grandkid for a joy ride while drunk (I don't even have a kid, where the hell did a grandkid come from? Have I really been drinking that much for that long???!!!). Still, the situation holds. Some how even a passed out drunk at anchor is somehow more dangerous to society than a vacant boat at anchor.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:19   #112
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

And in Oz in your pretty anchorage will be a sign on the beach: No Fires.

So no BBQ.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:14   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Alcohol consumption whilst at anchor

Considering the price of beer in Oz if you think I'm gonna pay that for a product with fewer ingredients your nutz..
That's kinda like the diesel scam that's only just being recognised by the moronic masses.. wheeze on brothers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:29   #114

Boat: Morgan 452

OK, so I will ask

Has anyone ever been boarded and given a ticket for being drunk at anchor with nothing else going on? In other words, like the situation noted in post 111?

I am sure that it COULD happen - but I am asking if it has happened, either to you personally or to someone you know well enough to know all the details?

In other words, is this actually a real problem or do people just have their panties in a wad?
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:14   #115
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Alcohol consumption whilst at anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFrankM View Post
OK, so I will ask

Has anyone ever been boarded and given a ticket for being drunk at anchor with nothing else going on? In other words, like the situation noted in post 111?

I am sure that it COULD happen - but I am asking if it has happened, either to you personally or to someone you know well enough to know all the details?

In other words, is this actually a real problem or do people just have their panties in a wad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	137372  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:16   #116

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Yes, saw it happen a few weeks ago in SW Florida to the singlehanded anchored next to me. Posted earlier in the thread.

I guess they see it as similar to being impaired in a parked car with the Keys in the ignition.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:25   #117

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

WE NEED RUM!
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:49   #118

Boat: Rafiki 37

To all my Aussie friends, and apparently to many of my American friends (depending on which state you sail in): Come to Canada, the land of the free … at least free to drink at anchor .
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17   #119

Boat: Morgan 452

But, Four Winds, in that post, didn't you say that the reason the police came out was that they were ticketing boats that were failing to show an anchor light - as required by the Col Regs? And that they had notified all of the affected boat owners beforehand that they were coming?

Also, you don't say what his reaction was to them showing up and attempting to give him a ticket? Were you close enough to see if, just maybe, he reacted in a way that caused them to want to give him a ticket? I know that I have known people who, when intoxicated, seem to draw negative attention to themselves.

So, I am still asking, is there anyone out there who knows of an instance where someone was doing everything right - totally within the law, except for being over the legal limit - and got ticketed anyway?
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:03   #120

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

Ok, this is now the worst thing ever outside the guns on boats thread. My big fear at anchor no how I have imbibed, is a redneck in a zippy boat with his hat on backward-at night.
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, consumption