Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 21:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Camera choices

I'm looking for some advice on good digital cameras around $500-800 if possible. We have a go pro copy which will do fine for underwater so the new camera doesn't have to be water proof. I also want the option of having a very wide angle lens. Anyone out there sporting a great camera they can recommend?

Thanks.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 21:21   #2

Re: Camera choices

You will probably want to the DSLR route to avoid the shutter lag in point and shoot cameras and to be able to get a very wide angle lens. You can probably get a good used or refurbished DSLR for that money. Wide angle lenses can be expensive.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:08   #3

In your price range, you have numerous options from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fujifilm. It's hard to recommend one camera. However, I'm a huge fan of Fujifilm mirrorless cameras. Their JPEG software and color rendition blows away the competition IMO. With a Fuji, I never mess with photo editing to correct color, they are just that good. Just be aware with cameras with interchangeable lenses. The lenses are where you spend the most money. It can get expensive in a hurry.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the replies,

I've spent two hours getting nowhere looking online. All the terminology goes right over my head. Any specific recommendations?

I feel as though I would have to learn too much to figure it out myself.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:09   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

DPreview is a good place to start.... and you can focus your search https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/201...ameras-500-900

Of the ones listed I - and them as is close to me - have members of the Panasonic and Olympus families... we are happy.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

Lumix GH4 is out of price range (probably $3-4,000) but a GH3 is just as good and can be found cheap. My professional photographer pal hooked me on Lumix GH range. TV quality video.

Cant beat GoPro for action.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:29   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We went through this a couple of years ago. Seems that there are three (or possibly four, if we include pro quality cameras) categories. Cheapest are point and shoot which don't meet your needed. Below the pro cameras are consumer DSLR models where you can replace lenses. This would get you the wide angle you want. I think you would probably want three lenses - the standard one, a wide angle, and a telephoto. This could get pretty expensive. We went with an in between. All of the major manufacturers make cameras that look like DSLRs but have a fixed lens with excellent zoom quality - up to 50x (perhaps more now). Each of the brands had a particular advantage and none had everything but we went with Fuji because it offered weather resistance (not fully waterproof). The question with this class of cameras is whether they offer enough wide angle capabilities. BTW, I won't mention specific models since they likely have changed since we bought.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Sounds like you'll want to shoot video too. If so, make sure whatever camera you get has an input for an external microphone. We're currently struggling with a Sony NEX-5 which we love, but without a mic input, the video audio is horrible. So much so, that we now carry a dedicated recorder for audio and sync it up in post production.

Matt
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've had a few of the Canon EOS DSLR series camera bodies which I've typically combined with a Tamron zoom lens new for just a bit more than the price range you mention and have been very pleased.

Certainly Nikon and others make good cameras as well, but I've always stuck with Canon.

I do think for general travel (outdoor use) point and shoots (rangefinders) and even some cell phone cameras have come a long way and will meet many people's needs. You can even crop and do some basic editing on an IPhone these days.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:00   #10
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
I've spent two hours getting nowhere looking online. All the terminology goes right over my head. Any specific recommendations?

I feel as though I would have to learn too much to figure it out myself.
If the terminology is over your head, I would go to craigslist and buy the cheapest Canon DSLR like a T2i or T3i. I would go with a kit lens 18-55 and also a 55-250 or 75-300 zoom.

The 18-55 should be wide enough. If you need wider, you would know these terms already.

Start cheap and shoot, shoot, shoot. I have very expensive gear, but about 95% of what I shoot could be done with a basic camera.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 13:27   #11

+1 for DPreview. Great resource.

My only problem with recommending a DSLR is that you'll easily exceed your budget getting a wide angle lens, standard zoom and telephoto zoom to cover the broad range of focal lengths. Unless you get a bang-up deal on Craigslist, I don't think you'll stay under $800.

I would seriously consider a top end compact camera with a built-in zoom lens like the Fujifilm X30. No fuss with changing lenses and you get an excellent quality camera that is light and easy to carry around all day. It will do everything most novice photographers need. But you'll have to test it out and see if it is wide enough for your needs.

If you want super-wide angle, then you'll need a camera system with interchangeable lenses. If you go this route, it will be infinitely more complicated.
mbhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 14:17   #12
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

Are you sure you want a super wide angle lens. Google this and look at the images. You get curved images and the distortion is unflattering of people.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 14:21   #13

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

CANON SX 60. 21mm wide angle, 60x optical, fully articulating screen, mine has no discernable shutter lag, takes Canon ex2 series flash guns. And cheap as well. Had many slrs, my little 5x waterproof Sony is good. But the Canon is what goes into my backpack.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:44   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I like my Nikon V1 and J1 cameras. These particular models are fairly old tech these days (I think they're up to the 5 series now), but still up to the task. When it comes to boat use, smaller is definitely better. I rarely use my Dslr any more. The compact camera's with interchangeable lenses can do just about everything a dslr can do only in a smaller package.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:57   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I would take a serious look at the Olympus TG4.

Came out on top in its class.

Waterproof to 15m (50') shockproof crushproof, raw format,GPS, etc etc.
Don't own one yet.
Go to Flickr, and search for TG4 and see pictures taken with it by amateurs.
Accessories=Deep diving case, microscope, ring light, wide angle lens, teleconverter lens etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Water.../dp/B00UKV5D4C

Tags
camera