Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 07:24   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Greek Tax !!!!!!

are the Italians will be trying to introduce new fees from june 14 i was in udinise last week the prob they have is port police dont want to collect fees and do paper work
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:58   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sounds like the south of France and Monaco will be the new cheap places to cruise... Along with Porto Fino and the Italian riviera...
We didn't use many marinas last year but from memory we spent around 200 to 300 euro per night anywhere we docked in France, Spain, and Italy. That adds up quick. Then add in how much it costs for winter layup - nope, I'd pay a few thousand euro to be in Greece and be happy with it.
Old 15-11-2013, 08:15   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Better than the Bahamas where they charge a blue collar guy lucky enough to have. 31 footer the same as some 200' mega yacht.
Old 15-11-2013, 08:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Bizarre they could expect 400 euros of a 39 foot boat and 1,200 euros of a 40 footer... Madness.
My boat is 12.2m so that extra 20cm will cost me €800

I work with a guy who also has his Bene 464 in Greece. He was talking about one more season in Greece before moving on, but that plan might change.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 09:00   #20

Ok, maybe for boats over 12m it will be €400 plus €100 per meter over 12m

7m - 8m €200
8m – 10m €300
10m – 12m €400
Over 12m €100/metre

that pricing makes more sense than the jump from 400 to 1200
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 09:20   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Certainly glad we did our cruising in Greece and Turkey about 25-30 years ago when the folks were friendly and helpful, the weather and water were marvelous, the drachma was cheap and the food was outstanding. Pity to see it all going down the shitter because of some greedy politicians. Providing a cruising experience to remember is a competitive business and Greece is working hard at ensuring it will be a financial nightmare to cruise there. Good luck with that! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 09:31   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Those greedy politicians should keep giving it away!
Worked out for them so far........
Old 15-11-2013, 09:57   #23

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Should I take some comfort in the realization that all the idiotic politicians are NOT in the USA?
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 15:50   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I don't think this will ever be approved by the Parliament and or applied in any Greek islands, particularly in the Dodocanese which are very close to Turkey.
Most of this islands are making their lies out of Turkish boats and noone will pay this fee. Today most of these boats are visiting Greece w/out any visa, transit log, etc, Last month I visited one islands that was not popular for turkish boats earlier. When I saw too many of them this time, I asked the lady who runs one of the restaurants in the marina. The answer was "yeeahh, we just sent the cost guard to another port in the island, there is noone anymore to disturb the turks who are coming w/out papers and the business has improved dramatically since then". Actually, 9 tables out of 10 was turkish citizens..
The point that Mark has made is a valid one; someone who sails from Italy or Croatia to Turkey w/out willing to spend too much time in Greece, it's a long way to make in one shot, paprticularly if weather conditions are not favorable..Who is going to pay 1.000 USD for couple of days or nights?
Does it hhelp Turkey ? Iı am not so sure. It may for the ones who needs wintering and wants to fix couple of issues with their boat. But Turkey was already much better option on this respect. For cruisers who would spend a year or so, they may afford anuway to spend this money. For Greek charter industry, shouldn't be a major issue, they may even be free of this fee. Not a good news for Turkish charter boats; 60% of them want to visit couple of nearby greek islands and this will be even more costly..
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:16   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Capt Phil on this one !! 25 yrs ago when we were there, We found it to be a fantastic place to cruise!! Cheap and fun!! Folks seemed to really enjoy us being there !! I really believe we got more gifts there then even in the South Pacific!! Ahh well now I don't feel so bad about just being able to cruise the Carlbe!! LOL
Old 16-11-2013, 03:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Certainly glad we did our cruising in Greece and Turkey about 25-30 years ago when the folks were friendly and helpful, the weather and water were marvelous, the drachma was cheap and the food was outstanding.
Yepp, but since few years our currency called Euro with all its problems.
At the beginning we had huge problems even in Germany, because of parity to $$.
For my opinion it´s a birth defect by Brussels to keep some countries in the Euro zone. Has speed up their problems.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 05:08   #27

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

The Greek port police appear to have been on a charm offensive in recent years, compared with when we first arrived in Greece in 2005. However, they'll be in the front line on this one (in the event it's ever implemented) and I suspect it would become an impost more notable in the breach than in the observance.

But that's not the point. No sensible government imposes a swinging tax on movable assets, because it's just too easy to relocate them to a more benign tax regime. Even the rumour (as is clear from the postings here) is enough to deter a lot of cruisers from visiting or returning to Greece.

Greece is only now beginning to get back on its feet after the financial crisis of the past three years: you don't take the patient off life support just as he's starting to breathe normally again.
Old 16-11-2013, 06:12   #28
cruiser

No offend people and do not like to sound rude or offend any one. but if you do not like it, do not come, do not go there . That is their country, they can do whatever they wont.. accept it or go somewhere else.

And do not give me that story about cruisers and money they spend, that is insult on the anyone intelligence. 99% of them will it **** if they can get it for free.

It pissed mi of when people start complaining about other countries and same time in their own country they have to pay even for the air that they breathe.
gloriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:33   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriax View Post
No offend people and do not like to sound rude or offend any one.

And do not give me that story about cruisers and money they spend, that is insult on the anyone intelligence. 99% of them will it **** if they can get it for free.

It pissed mi of when people start complaining about other countries

Hmmmmm have you ever cruised, gloriax? Can you, ahem, sail?

Are you ment to be on the polemics knitting forum?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:35   #30

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriax View Post
No offend people and do not like to sound rude or offend any one. but if you do not like it, do not come, do not go there . That is their country, they can do whatever they wont.. accept it or go somewhere else.

It pissed mi of when people start complaining about other countries and same time in their own country they have to pay even for the air that they breathe.
Let's hope the Greeks don't share your attitude - they have enough problems as it is (though not with writing proper English ...)

Tags
Greece, water, yacht