Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 15:41   #46

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Having lived in a few retirement/vacation destinations (those places you go to for 2 weeks every year then buy a home there to retire) that are rural, I find that after people have retired and lived there for a year or two they get bored and want to change it to where they came from. They start committees and drives to get things organized, get sidewalks put in, install streetlights and try to build little suburbia in paradise.
Amen brother!

We are in one of those places right now. A few short years ago, it was a sleepy little fishing village. Now the newbie gringo yuppies are cheering because they are about to build a Starbucks. And "they" just started a charity foundation to start putting curbs on all the roads so it is safer to walk their little poochie pie.

Yep... run away to paradise and then drag everything you hated with you when you get "bored".

Old 02-03-2019, 15:53   #47

Boat: Celestial 48

We often spend days alone in isolated anchorages in the Sea of Cortez, but after several days or weeks exploring around we like to move to an anchorage with other boats or a village, or even to a town with a marina. Why? We like to socialize with other people. We like walking through town and seeing people. We like going into a restaurant and speaking with the waiter and trying new local dishes. We love secluded anchorages, but not to the exclusion of other experiences. We are not hermits.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:11   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

There’s lots of small anchorages all over the place and there are boat using them.

This has nothing to do with places that have marinas, mooring fields, services, towns, shopping etc.

FYI I only read page 1 so you all could now be battling over some other item
Old 02-03-2019, 16:28   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

The mooring fields are a phenomenon that I cannot figure out.
Pay $20 a day and get a questionable mooring that may let go in bad weather, just so you can keep your anchor dry?
The ones down here have no amenities, no free trash disposal, no WiFi, nothing, yet cost $20 a day.
You read the reviews on Active Capt and everyone say how it’s worth it?

Just me but I trust my ground tackle a whole lot more than some mooring.
Plus I know I’m cheap, but heck that is $600 a month, for nothing.

So why do all these boats rush to the mooring field?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:35   #50

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

So why do all these boats rush to the mooring field?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:53   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

It's pretty much human nature to not want too much of either a secluded life at anchor or an extremely busy real life which is why in some spots you can do both without totally committing to either

If your boat is set up with some solar (100 - 200 watts) and a large cooler, you can have your 5-10 days anchored in a secluded spot or spots then come back to your real life then repeat as needed

It helps if the fishing is decent and there are places to hike/run/climb etc nearby you can use after to row your kayak or dinghy ashore
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:45   #52
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Or secluded off-grid is the "real life", and civilization is what gets the occasional visit.

Whatever floats your boat.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:56   #53

Right, but I think sometimes folks don't realize how slow off the grid life can be after living many years in our high tech, information overload world of today
Old 03-03-2019, 06:03   #54

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ya know, we've spent a fair amount of time in isolated and unpopulated anchorages, many of them being quite picturesque. And enjoyed that immensely. And after a while, we have wanted some human companionship and gone to some more popular spot with both other cruisers and interesting locals. And enjoyed that immensely.

The ability to alter one's surroundings to suit one's mood is one of the great attractions of the cruising life, and one can usually find the degree of isolation (or not) that appeals at the time. May require some originality of thought to avoid the crowds,but it can be done where we've cruised. Easier some places than others, too!

I guess whether this seems romantic, fulfilling or boring and tedious depends on teh individual. As with most of life, it is what you make of it, given the cards you were dealt.

Jim
Jim, your post deserves to be repeated so I did, as I could not in any way improve it!

Doug
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:59   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Right, but I think sometimes folks don't realize how slow off the grid life can be after living many years in our high tech, information overload world of today
Very true. This affinity for solitude, and living slowly, is very much a personal thing. My partner and I are both similar in our desire and ability to be alone (with each other) for long periods of time … weeks or even months at a time. Sometimes I worry that we could become actual hermits if given the chance.

It’s not that I (we) don’t like other people. We enjoy getting together with open and interesting folk, and do so when hanging out in an anchorage, or even at the dock. But we’re not driven to seek this out. Some people are.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38   #56

Boat: Tartan 3800

Thank you all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

In the early days of the internet, before forums, there was a newsgroup called misc.rural. People would show up and pine for a life of remoteness and simplicity. Mostly to them that meant figuring out how to get by without television.

In contrast I have met and spent some time with a number of couples who have lived in truly remote areas, on land, who built a lifestyle out of it. Most of them are still at it. One guy, brilliant software developer and physicist, dug a 120' well by hand because he didn't want to pay someone to do it. He and his wife took turns, one of them with a bucket and rope up top, and other with a pick and shovel down in the hole. They started out with wind energy, only, in the 1980s, and added solar a few years later. No electrical power for a dozen miles. No other houses for a dozen miles.

He would go and work at Cray and write kernel device drivers for them when he needed money.

Another couple included a successful author who made enough money on royalties that they didn't have to work as long as they kept their expenses down.

Living in those sorts of environments, the hardest thing for me to get right was to be able to organize my life so that I didn't have to go into the city any more often that absolutely necessary, because going to the city was an all-day project. You don't want to get home and realize you forgot to get milk and bought the wrong size bolt. I got better at it after a summer of stupid mistakes.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:37   #57
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

In 1970, there were 3.4 billion people on the planet. Planetary life expectancy was 52 years.

Now, in 2019, there are 7.2 billion people on the planet. Planetary life expectancy is 71 years.

It's simply more difficult to find a spot without people in it.

Most of the time I enjoy people (We live in the city, and our boat is docked in a different city), but it's nice to be able to just sail away when you don't want to people for a while.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

I suspect that the bigger factor here is increased concentration of boaters in fewer locations.

Our global population is growing rapidly, but so is urbanization. Numbers are going way up, but people are concentrating in fewer large urban areas.

I suspect the same phenomena may be happening in the boating/cruising world. Total numbers may be on the rise, but most are concentrating in a relatively few locations.

So, if you want to be away from the crowds, just go to places with no Internet connection. That seems to weed out most people these days.
Old 03-03-2019, 13:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Thank you all for the replies.

In the early days of the internet, before forums, there was a newsgroup called misc.rural. People would show up and pine for a life of remoteness and simplicity. Mostly to them that meant figuring out how to get by without television.

In contrast I have met and spent some time with a number of couples who have lived in truly remote areas, on land, who built a lifestyle out of it. Most of them are still at it. One guy, brilliant software developer and physicist, dug a 120' well by hand because he didn't want to pay someone to do it. He and his wife took turns, one of them with a bucket and rope up top, and other with a pick and shovel down in the hole. They started out with wind energy, only, in the 1980s, and added solar a few years later. No electrical power for a dozen miles. No other houses for a dozen miles.

He would go and work at Cray and write kernel device drivers for them when he needed money.

Another couple included a successful author who made enough money on royalties that they didn't have to work as long as they kept their expenses down.

Living in those sorts of environments, the hardest thing for me to get right was to be able to organize my life so that I didn't have to go into the city any more often that absolutely necessary, because going to the city was an all-day project. You don't want to get home and realize you forgot to get milk and bought the wrong size bolt. I got better at it after a summer of stupid mistakes.
Here the city is close even for some rural folks. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is 24 miles long and cost $15.00 to cross. On the other side, the large towns have maybe 2000 people. (this for like the next 120 miles to the North) Getting off the grid over there is easy and where I grew up and still own a home

With sailing, it the same except you don't have to pay the $15.00 to cross the bay and you get to choose which side (East/West) you want to be on

So before your trip you can go to Whole Foods, the mall for clothes etc, West Marine, the consignment Salty Dog Store, stores that specialize in hiking boots and running shoes, and so on to include every boat part you would ever need.

On the other side in Summer, there is locally grown tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, watermelon, and cantaloupe that can be bought cheaply at rode side stands

During hunting season, there is a big deer population as well as wild turkey plus the geese coming down

The picture shows houses but you can pick a totally secluded area if need be. I was getting tools for possible engine maintenance which turned out that I didn't need

And speaking of being in the high tech world then suddenly in a world where you are just surviving, many times I'll do a virtual fly over of the area I plan to sail if I can find a simulator at work not in use by the officer students. It's very strange though since the "flight" can take 30 minutes or so and the actually sail/cruise a number of days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02087.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	187091   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBBT.png
Views:	84
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	187094  

Old 08-03-2019, 07:34   #60

There is a really easy answer to this I will just invite you all over to the West Coast of Scotland, we have loads of empty anchorages. Granted we
Only get a couple of days of sunshine you can count on - but it is lovely and quiet and somehow seems even quieter when it’s snowing 😄. Safe Cruising.
decodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor