Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2017, 12:19   #46

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter
Re: Electronic Barometer/Barograph What are important features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
In terms of practical use, I don't see needing g more than 24 or 48 hrs history. I also don't see yet another alarm as desired.
I like the Meteoman. It's a simple setup and has been reliable.
How often does your MateoMan update? Once per second, minute hour or it something you can set to any of the above?

Thanks!
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 15:31   #47

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
How often does your MateoMan update? Once per second, minute hour or it something you can set to any of the above?

Thanks!
I don't really know the update rate. When you first power it on you can see the measurement update at probably a 1 sec rate till it stabilizes.
Old 25-12-2017, 02:21   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Accuracy was first and foremost in importance to me. To that end I wanted a lab quality instrument, hopefully calibrated to NIST standards.
I found this one, and you can buy it on Amazon.com. It comes with a multipoint calibration certificate with the test points annotated. A single point isn’t really a guarantee of accuracy.
https://www.thomassci.com/Instrument...le%20Barometer
It can be connected to and monitored by a computer, but I haven’t, and won’t.
How often does it update? Once a second, minute, hour? I have found this unit for 126.00 under a different name as well.
Old 25-12-2017, 04:09   #49
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Any chance of being shown how to set that up? Be aware that I am thick as a brick when it comes to doing interesting things with a raspberry pi.....
Getting the little barometer boat talking to the Pi is quite easy, 4 wires, couple for 3.3v power & ground then a couple to do the talking. It's quite easy to set up for signalK & NMEA data so OpenCPN can get to it. The graphs I did using another prog called Node-Red which comes preinstalled with Openplotter, a bit more rolling your sleeves up programming but really not that hard, you could probably get something similar running just with some cut and paste from forum threads like this.
Openplotter had a built in graph function for weather a while ago though I can't remember if it's even still in there these days.

Nice to have it graphed though, even with a weather station type thing on the wall as a second source. You can check out the trends in your bunk on a mobile phone or tablet

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...c-sensors.html
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 10:11   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
...it's rate of increase/decrease that's of real interest.
This ^^^^

I don't really care if the reading is not accurate. As long as I can assure myself periodically -- when I am getting good local weather reports -- that the rate of increase and decrease that it is showing reflects reality, that's good enough for me.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 16:13   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
How often does it update? Once a second, minute, hour? I have found this unit for 126.00 under a different name as well.

I have no idea but would assume even once an hour would be fast enough?
It seems to be continuous at least the temp seems to be
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 16:21   #52

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Getting the little barometer boat talking to the Pi is quite easy, 4 wires, couple for 3.3v power & ground then a couple to do the talking. It's quite easy to set up for signalK & NMEA data so OpenCPN can get to it. The graphs I did using another prog called Node-Red which comes preinstalled with Openplotter, a bit more rolling your sleeves up programming but really not that hard, you could probably get something similar running just with some cut and paste from forum threads like this.
Openplotter had a built in graph function for weather a while ago though I can't remember if it's even still in there these days.

Nice to have it graphed though, even with a weather station type thing on the wall as a second source. You can check out the trends in your bunk on a mobile phone or tablet

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplot...c-sensors.html
Thankee.... I've had a R-Pi 3 sitting here for a while.... ordered this https://www.pakronics.com.au/product...80-ss101020192 and some connectors the other day... and think I have the Pi set up for 12C....

Hopefully I can set this up without the electrons manifesting themselves as smoke.....
Old 25-12-2017, 18:00   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Good to hear some positive reports on these iPhone apps, especially since reliable data showing multi-day trends is generally the most important feature for sailors. Might be worth noting that they require the phone itself to have a built-in barometer, a feature which started with the 6s & 6-Plus but not the SE (which is a smaller 6). Not sure about the Android phones.

One question is whether the iPhone apps (or the one you have) require internet service to work? I would think not, since the data is presumably relying on the built-in barometer and not a GPS fix mated to a position on a weather chart.

Thanks for the input.
On an Android phone, I use "Barometer Altimeter Dashclock" by Aleksander Ciepiela.

It maintains up to 14 days history and can be calibrated against nearby airports QNH (atmospheric pressure adjusted to sea level) which it can pick up over the internet when in cell range.

It displays in either altimeter or barometer modes. I've found it very accurate - a good test is to set it to zero at the marina and then drive around town - it clearly shows the pressure change as I drive up hills and switching to Altimeter display, it gives an accurate height ASL.

It works fine hundreds of miles from land.

(It also accurately shows the local diurnal pressure variation.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 21:20   #54

Anyone have a favorite iphone barometer
app?
Old 27-12-2017, 03:04   #55
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Thankee.... I've had a R-Pi 3 sitting here for a while.... ordered this https://www.pakronics.com.au/product...80-ss101020192 and some connectors the other day... and think I have the Pi set up for 12C....

Hopefully I can set this up without the electrons manifesting themselves as smoke.....
Have you tried the openplotter raspberry pi image? It's wonderful

I was playing around with a new Pi Zero wifi yesterday , didn't take long to get it up and running with the standard raspbian image just using a laptop and wifi, nothing plugged into the Pi apart from power and an SD card. Spare Pi3 should be here soon so I'll try the same with Openplotter & post here. Also, more geeky but the ESP32 little boards look great for tasks like barometer & monitoring onboard, low power and wifi/bluetooth built in, got one blinking next to me now - again, I'll post if I get something which seems worth sharing. Might be worth a thread on each of these devices to share successes/problems ...

OK, enough thread drift - back to the main feature folks
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import