Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 14:08   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Electronic Barometer/Barograph What are important features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I would much prefer a stand alone device, as you'll want to check it while at anchor when the chart plotter is off.
What he said ^^^^

Meanwhile

'In the tropics the barometer almost always stays within a three-millibar range (plus or minus 1.5mb from the norm). Any deviation is cause for concern.
Even a three-millibar deviation, above or below the norm, signals the onset of a low pressure system, and this is one of the key ingredients for the birth of a cyclonic storm.'

That is from here.. https://www.setsail.com/mwh.pdf .. page 352
Old 23-12-2017, 14:22   #32

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter

Wow. So much great info. Thanks!
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 14:23   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I would much prefer a stand alone device, as you'll want to check it while at anchor when the chart plotter is off.
Heading slightly towards geekiness, but a Raspberry Pi draws little enough for many boats to leave on all the time as a boat nav system , this is what a BMP180 output looks like..

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 14:27   #34

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Heading slightly towards geekiness, but a Raspberry Pi draws little enough for many boats to leave on all the time as a boat nav system , this is what a BMP180 output looks like..

A Pi with a small display powered by the boats 12v system would be fine. Always available and low power draw.
Old 23-12-2017, 14:38   #35
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
A Pi with a small display powered by the boats 12v system would be fine. Always available and low power draw.
Or you can actually do it all over wifi, the screen shot is of a web page. Works great, the Pi can go weeks before a reboot.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 15:06   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Or you can actually do it all over wifi, the screen shot is of a web page. Works great, the Pi can go weeks before a reboot.
As mentioned above, I'd rather have a stand alone unit that I can look at whenever I want without involving another device.
Old 23-12-2017, 16:04   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Electronic Barometer/Barograph What are important features?

Quote:
Do you really think that you will actively be making different passage decisions based on an NIST calibrated barometer vs my single point calibrated Meteoman unit? In this case close is good enough and relative changes are more interesting than absolute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What he said ^^^^

Meanwhile

'In the tropics the barometer almost always stays within a three-millibar range (plus or minus 1.5mb from the norm). Any deviation is cause for concern.

Even a three-millibar deviation, above or below the norm, signals the onset of a low pressure system, and this is one of the key ingredients for the birth of a cyclonic storm.'

That is from here.. https://www.setsail.com/mwh.pdf .. page 352

Based on the second quote, yes, maybe.
I agree rate of change and total change is more important than being certain that the pressure is the number reported, but without a multipoint calibration, how can you tell is an instrument like a multimeter for instance or a torque wrench is accurate throughout its range?
Just for reference anything that I used for FAA test flights had to have a multipoint calibration certificate within 90 days.
Now I’m not going to send this thing off for calibration, ever, but if you can get a product for the same or less money that is calibrated to NIST standards and comes with the Cal card why wouldn’t you?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	160932
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 16:07   #38

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
Thats what this forum is all about. Examining theoretical situations with real life experience.
Thanks!

What do you think about this stand alone device vs one incorporated in a chart plotter? I found this one for 125.00 which is 75.00 less than the MateoMan. Difference between this and MateoMan is in the display and it only stores 24 hours of history.

https://www.thomassci.com/Instrument...le%20Barometer
Others with more long-distance experience can correct me, but I would think you'd want more than 24 hrs. of history stored for purposes of seeing trends.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 16:12   #39

Quote:
When at anchor my plotter is usually on for the anchor watch function, but is a bit of an energy waster. But then some advocate keeping their radar on at anchor. But of course now there are apps for anchor watch too. I would still want stand-alone for an electronic barograph so I have the option of shutting higher energy consuming electronics down.
Old 23-12-2017, 16:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Others with more long-distance experience can correct me, but I would think you'd want more than 24 hrs. of history stored for purposes of seeing trends.
You could write it down in your log... radical I know...
Old 23-12-2017, 17:00   #41

Quote:

Any chance of being shown how to set that up? Be aware that I am thick as a brick when it comes to doing interesting things with a raspberry pi.....
Old 23-12-2017, 18:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You could write it down in your log... radical I know...
As in . . . no keyboard or screen? With an actual pen or pencil?? And in one of those logbooks that actually contain paper??? Say it ain't so . . . .
Old 23-12-2017, 21:17   #43

Boat: Roberts 45

This is what we're working on at the moment. It stores all env data for years in a database. Access via web browser only though.

E.g. last two days in ISO format:

Click image for larger version

Name:	env.2days.png
Views:	111
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	160933

Or switch units on the fly and look at the history:

Click image for larger version

Name:	env.3months.png
Views:	109
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	160934

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 21:40   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There are several iPhone and iPad apps that will track pressure off the Apple devices internal pressure sensor. These apps allow for the calibration of the sensor off a local airport, trending for 30 days and alarms.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 08:24   #45

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter

A lot of good information has come out of this thread. My feelings about instruments and teck on a sailboat are to have then serve the greater goal of sailing, living and traveling about the world on water, without getting in the way. So, I am more motivated to have a stand alone monitor because it is the shortest path to passively monitoring barometric pressure.

Drilling down, my choices are between a MateoMan for $200.00 and a Traceable NIST calibrated one for 126.00. The major difference is that the MateoMan keeps data for 5 or 7 days and the Traceable for just 24 hours, albeit it is calibrated to NIST standards, but some sailors say it doesn't make much difference tracking weather trends is the goal. I prefer the linear line on MateoMan that shows trends although I suppose i could get used to the bar graph.

By the way, the Traceable is being re-branded and sold by different companies like Fisher Scientific and NovaTech for prices varying between 126.00 and 160.00. It may also be an updated version of the venerable Speedtech.
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import