Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 22:43   #1

Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield
Barometer display important?

I am refurbishing my boat..having stripped out the old electronics (which I expect were quite impressive when new..but have become dated and foggy). I currently have the depth display, compass and electric engine monitor just outside the gangway and have 1 more section (about 2" by 3") just begging for a display of some kind. My VHS and GPS are looked after and I was curious what others feel is an important item to display for easy reference.
I was thinking a good barometer display might be a good choice as it may foretell of impending bad weather.....but I am open to change if anyone has a better suggestion as to what might be useful.

regards
Gerard
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 23:02   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Barometer display important?

If you only have 2x3", I would say a small digital depth sounder.. Like something that goes in a fishing boat. They have gauges the size of a normal engine gauge but wit a digital screen.

I you had more room I would say a new instrument panel like the B&G triton or the other brands equivalents.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 23:05   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Maybe wind speed/direction would be more pertinent information.
Old 12-02-2016, 23:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
+1

That's what I'd be adding.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 10:18   #5

Boat: Trewes 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Please forgive me my boldness as to firmly disagree with you.
Wind speed is nice to know, but no more than that. Wind speed is only good for bragging in the marina bar on how big a storm you've been through. The decision on the amount of sail one needs to put up (or down for that matter) is never made by looking at a wind speed indicator. Also, knowing that the wind is picking up now is simply useless compared with knowing in advance if the wind will do.
The direction can easily be obtained from a simple wind vane that is most probably on board anyway.

When used properly a barograph is very informative. I have one in my watch (Casio Pro-Trek) and it allows me to make (albeit rough) forecasts and shows nicely when the eye of a depression is retreating. One like OP has is on my wish list

It does however depend on your intended use. If you want to do some races maybe wind speed and direction (true and relative) are of more use. If you intend to make day trips and you can obtain forecasts easily a barograph might also be of little help as met-office forecasts are usually much better, further into the future and more scientifically rigorous. So keep that in mind as well.
Old 15-02-2016, 11:04   #6

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by A ursae minor View Post
The direction can easily be obtained from a simple wind vane that is most probably on board anyway.
Yes, but it will get old fast when you constantly need to stick your head out on the side of the boat and use a flashlight to illuminate the wind vine at night.

It is not about bragging right since I don't go the bar and I don't social. I prefer having the true wind speed available to me at all time. Can I sail without it? Sure, I can, but why. I don't need to brag about how great I am sailing without such gauge. I need all the help I can get to make my sailing fun and safe.

rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 14:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Yes, but it will get old fast when you constantly need to stick your head out on the side of the boat and use a flashlight to illuminate the wind vine at night.

It is not about bragging right since I don't go the bar and I don't social. I prefer having the true wind speed available to me at all time. Can I sail without it? Sure, I can, but why. I don't need to brag about how great I am sailing without such gauge. I need all the help I can get to make my sailing fun and safe.

When I am on watch, I am pretty good at judging wind speed and direction. But when I hand the watch over, I sure like to say, "Keep an eye on the wind indicator. Don't drop below 40° and wake me if it goes over 20 knots"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 14:37   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

There's no need to constantly monitor the barometer, so I'd keep it below. I really like having true wind speed and direction easily available.
Old 15-02-2016, 14:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Significant changes in barometric pressure normally occur over hours. Yeah I know about frontal passages but you can see that. Would keep the barometer below also don't know if one would hold up well if it was in the weather.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 14:53   #10

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
When I am on watch, I am pretty good at judging wind speed and direction. But when I hand the watch over, I sure like to say, "Keep an eye on the wind indicator. Don't drop below 40° and wake me if it goes over 20 knots"
My sensory perception is not as good as others or yours unless I close my eyes. With the noise and the wind turbulence behind the dodger, I can't take the risk. It is easier to me to glance at the instruments. I do check my wind vine often.

It is what it is, I know and accept my own short coming. It is a self preservation to sail another day without any fuss.

rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import