Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-07-2017, 09:31   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Hybrid Battery Bank Idea

This is really just a Gedankenexperiment,

But what if you supplemented a lead-acid battery bank with a LiFePo battery of 10% or 20% of the capacity of the lead-acid bank?

You would need some kind of controller which would start charging the LiFePo battery when the charge current to the lead-acid batteries tapers off or whenever there is excess charging capacity in the system.

THEN, when charging stops, the LiFePo battery can be used to finish charge the lead acid bank, taking it from 90% to 100%.

Would greatly increase the efficiency of charging the lead acid bank when off shore power. Would use the high acceptance rate of LiFePo to efficiently soak up available charging capacity when the lead acid bank is not accepting much power.

It's not for me, because I gave up my mooring with no shore power, so now I have shore power whenever I'm not out cruising, and when I am out cruising, I move often enough that I get a full charge often enough from motoring or being in a marina. So for me, it's just an idle thought, but for someone?

It would add enough complexity to question why you would not just go "the whole hog" and change over entirely to LiFePo. But maybe for someone, something like this could be worthwhile.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery