Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 12:00   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Recommendation for lightweight diesel generator (30A@110v)

Title says it all. I am looking to install a diesel genset. Don't need more than 30A@110V. Want it to be light. Was looking at Nextgen, they have 3.5kw that is about 200 lbs with the enclosure. However, I have heard some not so flattering things about this brand on reliability, parts breaking; water pump, capicitors etc. I think it is a kubota engine, which I thought should be good.

What else is out there in this wt range/power range.

I had found this, https://www.fischerpanda.co.uk/4000s_Neo.html

Don't know if cummins makes something this small, found a 6kw for 380 lbs.

So if you have some real world experience, would love to hear it. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:01   #2

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52
Re: Recommendation for lightweight diesel generator (30A@110v)

The 5000i.Neo is even lighter and slightly higher capacity, 75kg between genset + bundled inverter (165lbs). Combine it with a Victron MultiPlus for boosting inverter capacity, you can get pretty far with a small genset. It likely won't last as long as others, but it's small, light and relatively inexpensive.

https://www.fischerpanda.co.uk/res/i...1706__fpuk.pdf
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:03   #3

It's been out for 2.5 years now, and haven't heard anything bad yet. If anyone has personal experience, I'd be curious to hear it.
Old 10-12-2018, 13:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by css145hs View Post
The 5000i.Neo is even lighter and slightly higher capacity, 75kg between genset + bundled inverter (165lbs). Combine it with a Victron MultiPlus for boosting inverter capacity, you can get pretty far with a small genset. It likely won't last as long as others, but it's small, light and relatively inexpensive.

https://www.fischerpanda.co.uk/res/i...1706__fpuk.pdf
Thank you for this. unfortunately, it is only 230V, but I will look on their website, I would assume they have a 110 version as well.
Old 10-12-2018, 13:08   #5

Google Fischer Panda before you spend any money
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Google Fischer Panda before you spend any money
Thanks for the quick reply, but what does that mean? Are you implying that they are great, or are they horrible?

I appreciate you writing something, but if you are going to write 20 words, can you add 10 more? (Just googling FP gives a list of dealers)
Old 10-12-2018, 13:27   #7

Almost positive you can get a 110v version. I know the internet has some horror stories around fishcher panda gensets but they are also very popular and a fraction of those will end up abused, so I wouldn’t take that as a clear signal they are demonstrably worse or badly engineered for their intended market segment. I wouldn’t expect it to run for 20k hours through a rebuild, etc but you may still get a 5-10 year life if the duty cycle is matched to your needs. You’ll have paid more than a honda, but these aren’t comparable, and less than larger low rpm gensets, which also aren’t comparable.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

I have a FP 4000 from 2001 and it still runs fine. It does have seawater cooling of the genset head which has plugged up in the past. Now it gets flushed out with fresh water and salt away. Small and light. Very quiet outside due to good water-separator muffler and insulated case. High rpm engine though. I’d prefer low rpm like my Honda 3000 inverter genset at home.
Some folks swear by northern lights but I can’t comment on that one as I have no experience with NL gensets.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Two of my clients have NexGen models and love them; low maintenance and light enough to remove for service
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:59   #10

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

I have a Fisher Panda 4.2kW fresh water cooled genset with the Kubota 2-cylinder diesel that is perfect for what you describe. Great product, beautifully engineered, reliable, quiet, easy to maintain....MUCH better than the salt water cooled, single cylinder Farymann diesel model that it replaces. Have had it for 3 years, serving all electrical needs...zero issues so far.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:17   #11

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We have a Nextgen 5.5 and have been very happy with it. It is from 1999 and we are third owner. It’s been reliable. Just replaced engine mounts and have gone through 2 capacitors in 5 years. They are cheap and a 5 minute replacement. Nextgen service has been excellent as well when we called with a question or needed a part.
Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30   #12

Boat: Hunter 41

I have a next gen 3.5kw that is probably 5 years old! Works great! The previous owner did not check the zinc regularly and the broken pieces ended up clogging the heat exchanger. That took a while to trouble shoot, but once it was replaced (cannot be cleaned) it has performed great. I replaced the heat exchanger with one made for a Phazer (similar to a NexGen) which has removable end caps.
wnischt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Recommendation for lightweight diesel generator (30A@110v)

It’s going to be tough to beat a Nexgen. They are simple machines, no complex electronics, I did remove the water pump on mine and instead use a march 110V pump, which is extremely reliable and can’t leak water into the generator enclosure like anybody’s mechanical pump can. It also needs no service, ever as it has no rubber impeller to break apart etc.
The little motor has surprisingly a ball bearing crankshaft, and the bottom end should therefore last essentially forever as long as it has oil that gets changed every now and again.
It’s a wet sleeve motor so top overhauls ought to be very simple, but the motor is so widely used and available, it may be inexpensive enough to just not bother to overhaul.
It turns at an odd RPM, 2850 and through the pulley ratio, spins the generator at 3600 RPM. It and it’s big brother the 5.5, have the same generator head, so what limits the 3.5 output is engine HP, not the generator, which ought to make the generator last a long time as it’s never going to be operated at max output.

The capacitors are simple HVAC capacitors and are widely available, I got a couple of spares off of Amazon, it seems they fail by slowly losing voltage over time, so when you notice your voltage is low, replace the cap. It’s mounted on the side with a clip, no tools required just pop it off and unplug the tow wires and put them onto the new cap, just short the cap before you touch it of course.

They supposedly do output a “Noisy” waveform, but I have not noticed anything with mine, they do use a different generator head now than when they were noisy, so maybe that is it.
They used to use a Markon generator, now a Syncro.
US made in Jacksonville fl, or assembled actually as the engine is Japanese and the generator I think Spanish. However give them a call, Guy is nice to talk to and can help you with parts or troubleshooting etc.
Mine is capable of about 28 amps continuously, it can hold 30, but the power output is the same, when you load it down hard, the engine slows slightly and this drops voltage which increases amperage, but the total wattage is the same.
However it will happily make 25 amps at 120 VAC all day long, my typical load is usually about 15 amps or so.
It’s easy to adjust voltage by slightly changing the cap uf value, and Hz by adjusting RPM.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	181994
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 06:03   #14

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

+1 for Nextgen
I purchased a Nextgen 5.5 with a bad generator head for cheap ($800). Found new old stock on Ebay for $125 that included shipping. Also found a guy with a pallet full of generator heads in Michigan. I now have 2 extra. They are very easy to repair in my opinion. These generators are extremely common in refrigeration trucks. Many used parts available. Our boat is powered with twin Kubotas by Beta and some parts are interchangable. The Kubota engine Z482 is used in lawnmowers, tractors, generators, etc. Good used engines for sale on Ebay for less than $1000. The generator heads are being phased out in the trucking industry which gives ample stock of used parts and the engine is plentiful, ie. used in everything all over the world. Parts are very easy to find. The wiring is very straight forward. Even my mind could follow the wires and relays. The only gotcha is the capacitor needs to be charged before use.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:55   #15

Thanks to all for the input. A64 and sailingchiro, appreciate the detailed Nextgen explanations.

Tags
diesel, generator, men