Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-09-2015, 22:21   #11

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: DC genset to power boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
My DC generator design address all the pitfalls you describe. I kept it as simple as possible . Of course you do have to have the space . Been working great so far . I am surprised how little fuel it consumes .
That's an awesome setup! Thanks.

I've got a Phasor Marine 5.5 kW generator with about 3500 hrs on it and I'm fully expecting the AC end to go well before the Kubota! I had been kicking around a similar setup for when it goes, but using another high output alternator (135 amp / 24 Volt) like the one on the main engine for redundancy and minimizing spares. It would certainly simplify the charging system. It'd be easier to do with belts, but I haven't found much info on how much side load the back end of the Kubota is good for. That size would be fine for us as with the solar (820 watts) I've got, we find we're only running the generator a couple hrs a week during cloudy periods or when running the washing machine at anchor and about an hour every day underway. Our watermaker is 24 volt and runs 75% or more of the time off solar.

I've also been sketching up a configuration with the alternator and the dive compressor (with a clutch setup) on the Kubota as the dive compressor is the one item on board that I'd probably struggle to run off the inverter. A configuration similar to yours is probably better for that.

Just one thought on your setup. A 'splash hood' over the alternator may be something to look at when you start using the watermaker. Will any inadvertent hose leaks, etc drip into the alternator with the current configuration?

You've certainly given me some food for thought!

Thanks,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat