Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 07:31   #46

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Re: Complete Life Change

In my experience, changing your home, or where you are, doesn't change the essential person.

You can start "sailing away" today, right now.

If you start to live a low-stuff, happy, low stress, carefree life today, you will take that with you to the boat with you when you go, and just have to learn the hardware of the boat.

A gangplank is not a magic wand.

It is you who makes the changes happen, and you can do that right now.
Old 28-10-2013, 13:26   #47

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Fair enough, but the big vs small debate is ultimately pretty meaningless, even when you consider production boats of the same vintage from the same yard. Ultimately, 30ft of boat still provides a lot of options for what you want out of it. Saying a particular 30ft boat is not suited for comfortable cruising is a bit like saying a 50fter is not because you just jumped off a 50 ft ultra light displacement racer.

There are more compromises, but hey...
Sure-- compromises for all things are usually made. Folks who feel a 30' anything can make a great home should at least consider the equivalent square footage in such vessels and compare that to where they live. And of course there are trade offs but trade offs cannot enlarge a small boat.

Some of the things I remember from our Hunter:

No refrigeration until I installed an Adler Barbour system into the already too small ice box. Almost no storage for clothing. Limited water storage. Very slow in poor weather compared to the larger boats our friends had making some trips damned uncomfortable. No heat. Uncomfortable seating to watch our very small TV. An alcohol stove that damned near burned the boat up..... later I converted it to propane.

I could go on but I want to emphasize we NEVER, EVER felt unsafe in that boat during the many times we were in real crappy weather. Sometimes uncomfortable, never unsafe. My belief is the comfort factor has a direct relationship to a boat's size more than the boat's manufacturer,

Foggy
Old 29-10-2013, 09:53   #48

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.

I left the states in 1992 with my wife for Costa Rica. Our daughter was born here and we are permanent residents here. Two years ago I bought a 24 ft. C&C which I rigged for coastal cruising. I put in each year on the Pacific port of Puntarenas and sail while the weather is great. I pull out by June, load the trailer, and keep the boat at the house near Dominical. It is a great way to have the best of both worlds... The complete life change is always ongoing for me, as living in a different culture we must try to adapt, and that is at times difficult. Wife is a land lubber though, and I would love to share the sailing experience with like minded souls. I have been solo along the coast and this next year hope to head up to Nicaragua. I surf a LOT and the sailing gets me where I want to go to catch waves by myself often. Would love a partner here though, as being solo makes me feel like what I have needs to be shared by like minded people. I wish you luck on your adventure, and can only say that I have no regrets. Money and good work is all I miss about living stateside...but I have been making it for 22 years, and would not move back for anything. Make memories while you still can!!
Old 29-10-2013, 13:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalienteinCR View Post
I left the states in 1992 with my wife for Costa Rica. Our daughter was born here and we are permanent residents here. Two years ago I bought a 24 ft. C&C which I rigged for coastal cruising. I put in each year on the Pacific port of Puntarenas and sail while the weather is great. I pull out by June, load the trailer, and keep the boat at the house near Dominical. It is a great way to have the best of both worlds... The complete life change is always ongoing for me, as living in a different culture we must try to adapt, and that is at times difficult. Wife is a land lubber though, and I would love to share the sailing experience with like minded souls. I have been solo along the coast and this next year hope to head up to Nicaragua. I surf a LOT and the sailing gets me where I want to go to catch waves by myself often. Would love a partner here though, as being solo makes me feel like what I have needs to be shared by like minded people. I wish you luck on your adventure, and can only say that I have no regrets. Money and good work is all I miss about living stateside...but I have been making it for 22 years, and would not move back for anything. Make memories while you still can!!
Hi,
I have been to Costa Rica 2 times some years ago. It was great. Are You still looking for somebody sailing with you?
Christiane
Old 30-10-2013, 10:34   #50

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.

Very much so! I have had a few rough years financially and am a bit tight right now, but I have started a business here in CR, and if I can get a bit of dough together...enough to put Caliente in the water I want to do it again this year....preparation would start right after Christmas...

I put in at Puntarenas, and with the fee I get a month to dock there. That makes it a good month to explore the Golfo Nicoya, and do day sailing as well. After that I want to head north past Tamarindo to possibly Nicaragua, but have to have about 5 grand saved for the season's sailing. When was the last time you were here in CR?

also, if you want to email me directly.... calienteincostarica@gmail.com I can send some great pics that way also... Thanks for contacting me!

Matt
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32   #51

Well Said!!! Bon Voyage....
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11   #52

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
In my experience, changing your home, or where you are, doesn't change the essential person.

You can start "sailing away" today, right now.

If you start to live a low-stuff, happy, low stress, carefree life today, you will take that with you to the boat with you when you go, and just have to learn the hardware of the boat.

A gangplank is not a magic wand.

It is you who makes the changes happen, and you can do that right now.
Well said!
Old 03-11-2013, 19:12   #53

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
As a young boy I visited the old neighbor at the old folks home instead of going shopping with my folks. Played checkers,cards,what-ever the old boys wanted. John(the neighbor) once asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. I said "Be a trapper in the north woods". His answer was "then by god do it! There is nothing worse than ending up in a place. Like this with a bunch of I wish I would have's". I am lucky enough to have found a woman that feels the same, I have sold my business and she will be quitting her job of 28 yrs. to chase the dream. If you want it bad enough, make it happen and damn the torpedoe's, you know the rest. Fair winds to all. Bob
Old 10-11-2013, 17:12   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

I owned a 30' Hunter that we purchased new way back in 1979. It was our first boat; found it to be rugged, dependable and safe.....and slow as most 30' sailboats. Looking back, I wonder how we managed with two kids plus guests. Vacations saw our boat under weigh for over a month at a time. We used more fuel in the dinghy than the boat's diesel engine. OH--- the boat came factory equipped with a single horizontal cylinder Yanmar that was better suited for a rice paddy. Later I changed the pig for a 2 cylinder Universal (Kobta).

BUT LIVE ON IT????? HELL NO!!!! Far tooo small even for just Wifey and I. It also had a useless charting table along with a measly 30 gallon water tank. Looking back, I am sorry we kept it for 25 years before moving to power. But to each his own! We now have a 40' Silverton with an aft cabin with an enclosed rear deck. Just got fed up with my Hunter's poor amenities.
I appreciate your input. It will only be me and possibly one other. Its plenty big enough. I have the two cylinder diesel which does 1/4 gal per mile. I have a small water tank, but I also have a small water maker to make water when I want.

My trip will not be a luxurious one, but it will be a fun, fulfilling adventure.

BTW...still haven't found a suitable travel companion. Maybe it will be easier once I move aboard next week. I hope to be in oriental by the end of November.