- About Bestathook
- Vessel Make/ model
- 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
- Vessel Name
- Apalachicola, North Florida
- Retired, working on a bigger smile.
- Sailing and Wrenching, all types
- I'm a retired merchant mariner, a lifetime sailor, and enjoy the technical end of boats almost as much as the sailing.
I have worked fishing boats, oil field boats, and blue water ships for over 30 years. At one time, I captained the schooner Governor Stone, the oldest working schooner on the Gulf of Mexico.
I have maintained boats and motors for a fisheries research institute.
I have made the jump from Alalachicola to Tarpon Springs several times, and am a fair hand at local weather, and am often available should someone be in a bind for a crewman on that crossing, up or down.
I am big, incredibly active, and often available on short notice.
I started with a lightning, my first and last wooden boat.When I was younger, I enjoyed coastal cruising in a sailing canoe. Now my trusty Morgan 28 classic takes me on shorter trips and occasionally longer ones. The 28 attracts a bit more company when I'm not inclined to solo. But I still have a bit of a minimalist outlook.
I love short, sunny, sails, and exploring the island beaches, and ending a cruising day with good food and a bit of rum, lying on the hook. The next day I do it again.
- Your WORKING IQ is your regular IQ, divided by the number of boats you own.