Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 13:54   #1

Complete Life Change

Not sure what I'm looking for just yet, maybe just someone with a similar interest to what I have. Last year I posted the classic "dreamer" post. It never panned out, but I have changed my plan now. I'm selling everything and I bought a 30' sailboat to head down to the Bahamas/Caribbean for as long as my wad-o-cash lasts. I think I have enough for about 3 years.

Ideally, it would be great if there was someone else like me out there, male or female (not looking for a soulmate or anything), who is looking to do the same thing. Maybe life is boring for you, maybe you've been wronged and are just leaving a bad relationship, or maybe you're just a traveler looking for your next adventure. I know this is a long shot, but the right person might be out there. I don't really *need* someone to go with me, but it would be very helpful to have another person along.

Send me a private message if you want to chat, and find out if it's what you want.
Old 04-06-2013, 21:42   #2

Re: Complete life change

hey!
I have been looking for the same thing forever now. I'm from alaska and have spent much time on fishing boats. Please email me at paulson.dale@yahoo.com.
I will meet you anywhere anytime to start moving.
Old 15-06-2013, 15:48   #3

Hi mistersmith

your post really resonated with me, if you would like to share some details by email that would be great - latination@hotmail.com
Old 17-06-2013, 13:44   #4

Hello Mistersmith, I am a long time sailor. my entire life actually. I have 25 o day and kelt 25. I have some big ocean time years ago to a catostrophic failure loosing 2/3 of the crew and coming off 117ft brig. Iam also going through a life change as I have walked away from my airline carreer and have proceeded the big sell off. My son turned 17 and graduated and he is off on his own so it's me time now. Iam alos selling my to boats in hopes to find something in the sixty foot range for travels far and wide. I am only 46 and absolutly love your idea. Not sure if I would do it on my little 25's but all things are possible. Tell me of your plans in more detail and perhaps we might enjoy the trip together...but only if there is room for my guitar and a few bottle o rum...ouy!
Old 17-06-2013, 14:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith2017 View Post
Not sure what I'm looking for just yet, maybe just someone with a similar interest to what I have. Last year I posted the classic "dreamer" post. It never panned out, but I have changed my plan now. I'm selling everything and I bought a 30' sailboat to head down to the Bahamas/Caribbean for as long as my wad-o-cash lasts. I think I have enough for about 3 years.

Ideally, it would be great if there was someone else like me out there, male or female (not looking for a soulmate or anything), who is looking to do the same thing. Maybe life is boring for you, maybe you've been wronged and are just leaving a bad relationship, or maybe you're just a traveler looking for your next adventure. I know this is a long shot, but the right person might be out there. I don't really *need* someone to go with me, but it would be very helpful to have another person along.

Send me a private message if you want to chat, and find out if it's what you want.
Hey there matee. Wondering bouts yer passage to the land unknown. Be it far from me bones to travel by yer star, as I have passed it onest er twice me self and onest not at all be it big monster that took us down.

Rest the souls of merry men to travel down the sea, yet we find the brightest star and wish upon the dream. Shall it be a tail to tell the wind that swept cross the blue, filled the dreams and drowned a few.

May ye find yer and way clear and true with a friend to spell you off a few. Txflyguy40@aol.com
Old 18-06-2013, 17:50   #6

Boat: !977 Catalina 27

Mr Smith- I am also ready to bail on this mainland life. I have no blue water resume' to offer up, but I have the desire. I have lots of old and recent lake sailing time. Currently I have a C-27 Catalina moored on a lake here in Idaho,which I have for sale on the local market. I am planning on being in the usvi in mid-late july to begin a new chapter.
Contact e-addy: steelhead1690@gmail.com.
Old 22-06-2013, 10:43   #7

Boat: 40 spray

I jsut wanted to stop by and say that I too am about to purchase a sailboat and leave. just leave. Come what may, I go. Best of luck. I am a 43 yo single man who has had enough of the rat race. To find a similar soul who would be compatible and can bring a little money and experience to the table is something I have dreamt of as well. Not sure whats going to happen but I know it will happen within 60 days. Good luck
Old 23-06-2013, 11:44   #8

Sorry if you recieved this twice, Iam trying to send this direct to your response so it'll go to your email.
CJWelch, I don't know why your done with the rate race but certainly understand it. I feel when a person desire a dramatic change they are quick to run from what dealing with when they feel nothing can be done about it. This is why people quit jobs, divorce, become ex patriots ect. I have longed for the this and honestly It is such a catch 22 I find it difficult. I was a pilot for many years till i fought with TSA and now My carreer is disolved. Iam so against what the USA has turned into over the last 100 plus years. if other countries knew the truth i am sure they would all move to destroy the US corporations federal gooberment. that an enitre different conversation i don't wanna get intop now but it's my reason for wanting to leave. no more freedom in the USA so no reason to live they. so I look around and find it is not any better and much more risk else where. The sea gives a scense of freedom but every port you are taxed to enter. Every vessle must be taxed every day you must pay tax to engage in living no matter where you are do to the rothschild's owning a part of everything and every country. where will you find freedom and how to find the money to live at sea. These are difficult question and if you have any answers please hit me back cause I am wanting the same things you seek. I am 45 and the older i get the more i realize i don't have the answers. looking to find them...perhaps you have some...i invite you to share. Thanks...
Old 24-06-2013, 01:15   #9

This email was greeted with a smile. I'm on a similar path but its hard to start solo. As a child always said I would not work past 40. Mainly because I knew I would not like the being in the office. So, at age 40, I left behind an 18 year career for peace of mind and adventurous seas. I would live to hear more about your plans, your experience and wants.
My email is angelikaburgin@me.com. I hope to share some future correspondence with you. Angelika
Old 24-06-2013, 03:54   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

OK you guys who are considering jumping off the cliff, and leaving behind everything...a few words of wisdom/reality check... Many of us go through a mid-life crisis; it happens to the best of us. The reality of it is that as long as you are in good health with a little income, you can probably jump a shallow cliff for a few years. Another reality check...your good health has a finite time limit, as your body eventually will not be able to supply you with the energy you need, in addition some organs fail to work as usual due to aging. Sooner or later, you'll have to go back to land to attend to your frail health. When that happens, you'll be asking yourself if it was worth it at all jumping that shallow cliff a few years back. By that time, ONLY YOURSELF will ponder the answer to that question. A rat race, evil as it may be, will provide you a little cushion for the days of old, so when you jump a cliff you won't land on a hard surface and live an agonizing life until you pass on.

Mauritz
Knowledge is power!
Old 24-06-2013, 11:11   #11

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Sounds like a blast! Hit me up, I'm on the same path. Although I'm coming around from Europe.
Old 24-06-2013, 11:21   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
OK you guys who are considering jumping off the cliff, and leaving behind everything...a few words of wisdom/reality check... Many of us go through a mid-life crisis; it happens to the best of us. The reality of it is that as long as you are in good health with a little income, you can probably jump a shallow cliff for a few years. Another reality check...your good health has a finite time limit, as your body eventually will not be able to supply you with the energy you need, in addition some organs fail to work as usual due to aging. Sooner or later, you'll have to go back to land to attend to your frail health. When that happens, you'll be asking yourself if it was worth it at all jumping that shallow cliff a few years back. By that time, ONLY YOURSELF will ponder the answer to that question. A rat race, evil as it may be, will provide you a little cushion for the days of old, so when you jump a cliff you won't land on a hard surface and live an agonizing life until you pass on.

Mauritz
Knowledge is power!
Oh just enjoy it, we worry to much about what's to come and forget to much about what is

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 24-06-2013, 11:24   #13

Boat: 40 spray

You know heres the thing with me. For my entire life I have wanted to live on the ocean in a sailboat and travel scuba diving. I look up and I am 43. I have worked hard and earned a good living but in the recesses of my mind is the lap of waves against the hull and the salty spray on my cheeks. I am not waiting any more. I have a little money saved up. I am buying the boat in the next two to three weeks, and I am hitting the open sea. I am not going to confine myself to the shores of one country, one state, one town ever again. I am comfortable that I am he for whom the bell tolls and that one day I too will begin the slide down the other side with both my health and my finances. I will use the lubricant of experience and resolve to ease the pain. to sea I go come literal hell or high water. I have intellect on my side. I have ingenuity as my guide. I am sure and true in all I do, never second guess, always give my best, so shall it be til lfinally I rest.
Old 24-06-2013, 11:42   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27

Here's to making it happen. Mid life crises aside, "conventional wisdom" about getting your ducks in order at home first has the vast majority of people simply not going. I haven't exactly circumnavigated yet, but everywhere I've been so far, I've heard the line "I wish we had started out earlier" way way more than "I wish we had gotten our lives in better order before we left".

If you're in the market for a solid small bluewater cruiser, here's a great starting point:
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

If you can live simply on a smaller boat than what most people think they need, it will make making it happen and staying out there much easier in the long run.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50   #15

Boat: Newport 27

Teknav,
Hmmm. I wonder what country you live in where aging inevitably means your organs fail, you become sickly, you are not given affordable medical care, and the only way to avoid a miserable and painful certain death is to suck away at the corporate teat? Perhaps you should eat well, avoid harmful substances, live affordably within your means, develop skill sets that leverage your talents to produce income (anywhere), and try to avoid landing in places that subsidize Monsanto and McDonalds, but don't take care of their sick? Just a suggestion.